Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

Just now, Delphinho123 said:

Because we lost a world class player. As things stand, I don’t think we’re better than a team with Grealish in it. 

By that statement then unless we sign another world class player we can't improve. Just as Purslow stated Jack can be replaced by improving the other attacking positions around the team. Also, just from the simple fact our star player isn't injured for a 3rd of the season every year. 

12 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Because we lost a world class player. As things stand, I don’t think we’re better than a team with Grealish in it. 

I know where you're coming from but let them have a few games to convince you. I just want to see us making short sweet crisp accurate passes and be better off the ball.

11 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

By that statement then unless we sign another world class player we can't improve. Just as Purslow stated Jack can be replaced by improving the other attacking positions around the team. Also, just from the simple fact our star player isn't injured for a 3rd of the season every year. 

I see his point though. We have 3 new attackers and probably a new formation that haven't played together yet.

It's not a huge jump to say that we haven't improved as a team just yet. I'm hopeful that by October/November we'll look a better team than we did February-April last season but it's going to take a hell of an effort to get:

A) That brand new attack firing and playing together cohesively

B ) Lose Terry and maintain our record 15 Cleansheets from last season.

C) lose Luiz for first few games, Nakamba in January and (so far) have no new bodies in CM to improve it to link the Defense and said New Attack effectively.

It's a lot of pieces to put together and whilst I'm very optimistic and excited about our new team...I don't believe we are stronger than we were 2 weeks ago.

Edited by HalfTimePost
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KMitch said:

Or maybe they just like The Villa and we're reading too much into this, like the Sarr incident...

True, but it's no coincidence that they are linked, then start liking.

Whether the links are Bollox or not, is a other thing 

You genuinely think it's coincidence that they start " liking " around the time of links? I think not.

Also, Sarr was reported by credible sources, just because the links don't happen, don't necessarily make them Bollox.

Interest often goes no further than that.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Got to disagree, at minimum we have stood still.

You are in essence saying, Jack is better than all 3 of the attackers we have signed combined . ( Or carries as much or more threat on the pitch than the 3 players combined ). It's a disservice to them IMO.

He's ONE player.

When Jack was out, the WHOLE team dropped, now if one of the new attackers are out, we have multiple others 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

I see his point though. We haven 3 new attackers and probably a new formation that haven't played together yet. It's not a huge jump to say that we haven't improved as a team just yet. I'm hopeful that by October/November we'll look a better team than we did February-April last season but it's going to take a hell of an effort to get:

A) That brand new attack firing and playing together cohesively

B ) Lose Terry and maintain our record 15 Cleansheets from last season.

C) lose Luiz for first few games, Nakamba in January and (so far) have no new bodies in CM to improve it to link the Defense and said New Attack effectively.

It's a lot of pieces to put together and whilst I'm.very optimistic and excited about our new team. I don't believe we are stronger than we were 2 weeks ago.

Whether everything meshes is absolutely a question but that is always the case with incorporating new signings.  

I'm actually okay with not bringing in a midfielder. Carney looks ready to make the step up. Bringing in another senior player there and he would lose that opportunity. 

What we have lost with Jack is the fear factor, he was the leader , the conductor, director of play so to speak. He took the game by the scruff of the neck and raised everyone around him. To replace that is going to be very hard. I understand what @Delphinho123 is saying.

Jonathan David is starting for Lille btw. However for me to replace Jack we might have tried for Kamada. Shirt sales and the playmaker, conductor director of play so on and so forth.

• Like 2

I think well balanced 11s tend to outperform teams with one or two standout players. It’s just much easier to come up with tactics to nullify a star player than it is to counter an entire team.

We will lose Jack’s ability to create things out of nothing, and dictate the tempo of the play when he’s on the ball. We won’t be as threatening down the left as when we had the Targett/Grealish linkup.

We’ll gain a better press, better shape, more defensive solidity from front to back (Buendia in, Barkley & Grealish out). We’ll be more dangerous on set pieces (Bailey & Ings in). We’ll be more dangerous on the counter with two out and out strikers linking up, and Bailey’s pace. We’ll move the ball more quickly.

Overall I think we should do slightly better. That’s not to say Jack isn’t a massive loss, just that there’s only so much one star man can do, and we’ve strengthened in several positions elsewhere.

Plus the defence will keep improving as they get used to playing together week in week out, and grow more experienced as players.

• Like 4

Still not feeling it for the new season. In fact, if someone had of told me two months back that Ashley Young would be in the team and Jack Grealish wouldn't, I'd have checked out of football for the whole summer.

We will go from being an inconsistent mid table team to being an inconsistent mid table team with slightly more predictable results, beat Brighton lose to Liverpool type stuff 

We'll be in and around Everton, wolves and Leeds trying to crack the top 10

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

We will go from being an inconsistent mid table team to being an inconsistent mid table team with slightly more predictable results, beat Brighton lose to Liverpool type stuff 

We'll be in and around Everton, wolves and Leeds trying to crack the top 10

Tbf, I’d take that, if there is signs of improvement across the board 

I'd say we have a much stronger squad currently than last year but a weaker starting 11. The trick imo will be to bring in an solid physical enforcer/playmaker. If we do that I think we'll be better off. Currently we look off keel due to the fragmented nature of the staring 11. Once Bailey and Emi come in it will look much better but I think if McGinn is to start he needs more than Marv or Doug along side him.  

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

We'll have to see how Buendia and Bailey gets on before making such a statement. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

Losing Jack was obviously not  something any Villa fan would have wanted. However we must remember that absolutely every attack went through him. The day he got injured we suddenly lost

almost all of our creative intent. We stopped scoring goals. I f we have the intention of Europe then that simply can't be the way forward. We have now signed players to remedy that and give us a more 

balanced team. If Jack could have been a part of it great but he didn't want to be. I think we are stronger now even without Jack. Let the season begin UTV

Edited by pintpotvilla
  • Like 1