Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

This will probably be the summer where a few tough decisions will have to be made.

As a couple of others have pointed out it's true. Too many of our players are too similar.

I'm sadly starting to wonder if McGinn is good enough to go where we want to go

Maybe a bit harsh, and I should say, to be a starter anymore?

I didn't think we needed many players, but a few games with some out of form, injured, and the players who replace them might have been an eye opener.

Our strongest area is our first team backline.

To push on I feel we need a minimum of:

LB

RB (If Guibert is done )

Attacking Mid/Winger ( Top notch ), maybe even 2

CM/CDM (Yes, the big cliche one, but a modern version who can also play )

CB - Perhaps this player could even double as the CDM/CM if capable.

100 - 150 mill, padded by outs? Or am I being too ambitious?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

This will probably be the summer where a few tough decisions will have to be made.

As a couple of others have pointed out it's true. Too many of our players are too similar.

I didn't think we needed many players, but a few games with some out of form, injured, and the players who replace them might have been an eye opener.

LB

RB (If Guibert is done )

Had my doubts about him since before his injury last season when his form dipped.

For me he hasn't really got that form back since...

McGinn is the problem, we basically need a stronger, faster and better version of him. First match of the season Sander Berge was better than him and his name has been mentioned, but I do not know who else.

Tonight it was Lundstram who got the better of him.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

LB

RB (If Guibert is done )

Agree with you on McGinn, I think he’s been average in most games, and poor in a few. I’d agree that if Villa are to improve then McGinn needs to be viewed as a backup in the squad rather than one of the 1st names on the team sheet. I think this summer could be a pivotal window. If we’re to try and make the next step into the top 6 then we now need real quality. We need to start signing players that are sought by the likes of Spurs and Leicester etc. We need real quality at LW and DM, I wouldn’t be against going in big for Neves at the dog heads at DM. There are 2 or 3 LWs in Germany that we could go after. These are players that would cost in the region of £50m each, but if we’re to continue progressing then that’s the market we have to trade in. We need another CF as well. We’ve much to do.

16 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

Yep, desperate need for a number 10 this summer. We go behind and just struggle to break teams down, this goes for when Jack is playing too. Another good player in that kind of area would take pressure off him a bit and hopefully give is a few more cutting passes.

We need a LW not a CAM. Because jack is best as a CAM. We play him in the middle and he can make clever runs and passes to unlock the defence rather than having to dribble through 5 players or play a hit and hope cross. 

15 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Had my doubts about him since before his injury last season when his form dipped.

For me he hasn't really got that form back since...

McGinn is the problem, we basically need a stronger, faster and better version of him. First match of the season Sander Berge was better than him and his name has been mentioned, but I do not know who else.

Tonight it was Lundstram who got the better of him.

Denis Zakaria is the ideal candidate imo. Fast, strong, big and is very skillful in the ball. He can also play cb so if we are desperately defending we can go 5 at the back. 

9 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

We need a LW not a CAM. Because jack is best as a CAM. We play him in the middle and he can make clever runs and passes to unlock the defence rather than having to dribble through 5 players or play a hit and hope cross. 

I think we need both to be honest. Jack drifts centrally often anyways and we still struggle to create in many games. I don't think having 2 creative players in the middle is the end of the World, particularly against opposition we dominate in possession.

Not sure how much he would cost but a guy I work with is a huge AS Monaco fan(Don't ask me how) and said even thought hate to lose him thinks Aleksandr Golovin from them would be a very shrewd signing.

24 years old can play CM and CAM,has 4 goals this season and keeps getting better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

If last night showed me anything it's that we need to sign a creative player. When Jack is out, we got nothing. Barkley isn't fit to lace Jack's boots.

I agree. A good solid attacking midfielder who can play central and out wide on the left.

What baffles me is, many posters on here knew this back in the summer and were lambasted by others for suggesting we needed more strength in depth. We have enough players and don't need anymore was the reason.

I don't think they realised that injuries and suspensions can come at the same time and how thread bare we could look if that scenario were to aris...  oh wait.

17 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

LB

RB (If Guibert is done )

We're not far away from where we want to be and another summer like the last one would be excellent. I agree that we need a bit more variety in terms of our players because it's hard to impact a game when you're bringing on like for like. 

In terms of the first XI, we need a quality CAM - we all know this. We have to choose very carefully, though, as we need to buy someone who will 100% fit in and perform consistently. 

18 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

LB

RB (If Guibert is done )

I dream of net spend of our first summer we could really add competition to our team and finish this stage of our progress with that money.

Out since last summer will be Elmo, Taylor, Lansbury, Barkley.

You could get rid of Engels, Guilbert, El Ghazi, Trez, Davis, Conor.

If you asked me who I would bring in last January (some will be unrealistic in the summer or have agreed moves)

Aarons 30m

Wijdnal 20m

Simakan 20m

Tuanzebe 10m

Brandt 22m

Olise 8m

Edouard 20m

Soumare 20m 

In football manager land you would be looking at the region of that net spend assuming some cost a bit more, with a squad full of quality.

For me when you get to that point it’s players coming from the supposedly good youth set up replacing a player or expensive signings where just one or two are made to move you forward.

Edited by paul514

8 minutes ago, thabucks said:

When Newcastle get relegated would anyone take Jamal Lewis for competition for Targett ? 

Depends on the budget as always, got a good budget? No. 

He would certainly be an upgrade on Taylor though.

RB Leipzig apparently willing to let Ademola Lookman go for about €17m in the summer according to BILD.

Not seen enough Fulham games to judge but he seem highly rated here. Imagine Fulham will be favorites if they stay up but no clause.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I agree. A good solid attacking midfielder who can play central and out wide on the left.

What baffles me is, many posters on here knew this back in the summer and were lambasted by others for suggesting we needed more strength in depth. We have enough players and don't need anymore was the reason.

I don't think they realised that injuries and suspensions can come at the same time and how thread bare we could look if that scenario were to aris...  oh wait.

I'm not sure people were against having strength in depth, just supported the idea of going for quality over quantity.  We had to spread our transfer budget too thinly after getting promoted.  Would you rather have bought cheaper players than Watkins and Martinez for example so you could get an extra cheap winger as well for the depth?  I think we would be worse off in the long run if we had done that.  Instead we have a really strong first XI and in the position to add a few more quality players this summer and progress even further.

54 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

We had to spread our transfer budget too thinly after getting promoted.  Would you rather have bought cheaper players than Watkins and Martinez for example so you could get an extra cheap winger as well for the depth?

The consensus at the time from a few was 'We've got enough'.

I agree that we did well with the signings that we made this season and the £88m or so that we splashed out on them has been money very well spent. I'm all for quality signings like the ones we've made. It also suggested to me that there was also money remaining to spend with us still having gaps in the squad at the time. (1 since being filled with the arrival of Sanson).

The main part of my post what I meant was that many argued that we didn't need anymore signings, regardless of quality etc, when it was evident we did, and still do as we're seeing now.

Edited by AvfcRigo82
Almost £100m spent this season when you add the Sanson transfer fee.

20 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

LB

RB (If Guibert is done )

I think like you, The back 5 is fine to progress, just back up....I think Hause is ok for back up and I think Freddie, will return....so we need cover and some of the kids are knocking on the door, even if it is faint knocks at present....but they are young.

The front 6 is where the investment needs to be...I think a quality CDM is paramount, even if Nakamba is a good spoiler, we need a bit more on the ball than that, good back up though.....a powerful unit who is comfortable with the ball, to play alongside Luiz.

• A Winger with pace, one who is direct and goes for goal.....not supposed pace, real pace.
  • A quick thinking striker with deadly box skills, a fox in the box type, who is brave and predatory.

Thats it for me, 3 Players for the first 11 , see how we go and revisit things In Jan.

• Like 1