Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

I think we may have to deal with what goes out too, and not necessarily what we want going out.  It wouldn't surprise me if every one of our starting back 5 attract interest from various clubs this summer.  The clubs we're looking to overtake will be looking at us coming up along the rails and thinking they want to nick our better assets.  I could easily see someone like Spurs going for Konsa, Mings or even Cash.  Then there's the unresolved Douglas Luiz issue which may or may not raise its head, and we know Brenton Rodgers has a stiffy for McGinn.  Weirdly I feel more relaxed about keeping hold of Jack than I do about most of our other saleable assets, because of his ties to the place.

Anyhoo, and whatever happens, as with every summer for one reason or another, this will be an interesting one. I've absolutely no idea what'll happen :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BOF said:

I think we may have to deal with what goes out too, and not necessarily what we want going out.  It wouldn't surprise me if every one of our starting back 5 attract interest from various clubs this summer.  The clubs we're looking to overtake will be looking at us coming up along the rails and thinking they want to nick our better assets.  I could easily see someone like Spurs going for Konsa, Mings or even Cash.  Then there's the unresolved Douglas Luiz issue which may or may not raise its head, and we know Brenton Rodgers has a stiffy for McGinn.  Weirdly I feel more relaxed about keeping hold of Jack than I do about most of our other saleable assets, because of his ties to the place.

Anyhoo, and whatever happens, as with every summer for one reason or another, this will be an interesting one. I've absolutely no idea what'll happen :)

Yup. No other comparison as we have ambitious and rich owners but you just have to look at Wolves getting raided for Jota and Doherty last summer (or autumn) despite finishing 7th.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BOF said:

I have so much faith in our ownership that, if we did let someone other than Jack go, they've got a replacement already lined up who will in theory be better than what we sold.

If we sold Jack i'm not sure how they'd replace him,  but I do know it will not be happening unless we get £150m+, which gives them a massive fund to invest in the squad.

I don't see us selling Jack wilfully, or him forcing a move, so I'm convinced he'll still be here,  and so looking forward to what the window brings.  Hopefully we'll have a top 6 position to enhance our options

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sne said:

Yup. No other comparison as we have ambitious and rich owners but you just have to look at Wolves getting raided for Jota and Doherty last summer (or autumn) despite finishing 7th.

Doesnt Mendes just use Wolves as a stepping stone to make himself and the footballing population of Portugal more money though?  I'm not sure Wes and Nassef would really want to sell any of our best players.  Obviously the Doug clause is an exception and I guess any player can cause enough of a fuss to make it not worthwhile keeping them but I can't see us getting bullied in the transfer market.

And at the risk of being a little snobbish.  Wolves are not Aston Villa with the greatest of respect, and I say that as someone who does actually like them as a club. I'm not saying we're immune to being pillaged. I just think we're more equipped to hold on to players because we're more equipped to fulfil their ambitions.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, sharkyvilla said:

Doesnt Mendes just use Wolves as a stepping stone to make himself and the footballing population of Portugal more money though?  I'm not sure Wes and Nassef would really want to sell any of our best players.  Obviously the Doug clause is an exception and I guess any player can cause enough of a fuss to make it not worthwhile keeping them but I can't see us getting bullied in the transfer market.

Think it's bit more complex than that. But just as Mendes has influence on where his clients go our players also has agents who want to make money and get deals for their players.

As I said there are differences between our owners and Wolves' and don't think we'll get bullied, but we are quite far away from being a powerhouse in football as it is now so there is bigger fish out there.

7 minutes ago, sne said:

They got 45 million for the 2 plus a long term replacement for Doherty. I thought that was decent business. 

13 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

They got 45 million for the 2 plus a long term replacement for Doherty. I thought that was decent business. 

Think Jota is easily a £45m player on his own.

Edit: Apparently they got £45m for Jota :D 

Edited by sne

I'd also add to that the fact that anyone we signed was likely expecting us to be a mid table also ran at best. Same goes for those that signed new contracts. They weren't expecting us to leap up the league like we have. If we maintain this position, they'll likely be looking to see where we can go next, rather than immediately looking to jump ship.

There may be a couple at a stage in their careers that think the opportunity will never arise to play in the champions league again (if such a club comes in for them), but most are young enough to know they have time on their side, and confident enough to know they'll get the chance again, if it's even needed after villa finish top 4 next season 😉

Thinking there are some great players being badly used at Newcastle - Saint-Maximin looks a fantastic player despite some recent injuries and maybe his recent injury record would mean we could get him in a cut-price deal? Having a quality winger with genuine pace would add an extra dimension 

• Like 1

I see the press are linking us with Rashica again.  Apparently he is fit and has just put in a MOTM performance in a victory at the weekend.  I would love this!!

For me, it's tweaking at the back:

• A back up left back - possibly hard to attract a Rico Henry type as he will see how good and consistent Matty Targett has been so will probably need to be a relative unknown/developmental talent who is prepared to be an understudy.
  • Same with Right Back, unless Kessler is ready to come through or Guilbert has been doing well on loan, in which case Kessler needs to go out on loan?
  • We are okay for CBs unless Engels leaves and even then Revan may be considered good enough for 4th choice.
  • It would be great to get in one more midfield option and I do like the link to Berge - that would give us 6 midfielders that could be rotated to give different dynamics on a game by game basis.  I wouldn't be touching Barkley for the kind of money and contract that would be required to be given what I have seen of him in 2021 - let's leave that problem with a big 4 rival!

I would expect to sell Heaton (I don't think he'll stay as a no. 2 at his age and I think Steer is a decent back up, particularly given how robust Emi seems to be), Taylor and Elmo should move on, not sure where we will be with Guilbert and Hourihane will hopefully have some value for a sale.

It is up front where I think we need to carry out major surgery to give ourselves real options and game changers in reserve, if we are going to push on.

• I would hope we move on AEG and Trez - both have played their part but AEG is not consistent enough and Trez is not potent enough.  We should be able to generate value from these sales though.
  • I also hope that we can at last loan out Davis for a season in the Championship and see if the kid has it or not - I think he could be good from what I have seen but he desperately needs a chance.
  • A new 9 for rotation/competition/cover is key and I personally would love to see Edouard come in.  At the mooted £20m, I think this could be real value but recognise that there will plenty of others in for him.  Toney would be a suitable alternative, and would probably give us something a bit more different to Watkins but would also be expensive (as we know from our previous dealings with Brentford).  Tammy could also be a consideration but again, I believe, would be a lot more expensive than Edouard.
  • Then we need two wide players - Rashica and David Brooks would be perfect in my mind.  I think options from Jack, Traore, Rashica and Brooks would be as good as anybody.  Equally, all four of them could drop in at 10 if we wanted to tweak the formation.  Olise looks like a decent alternative to Rashica.  Equally, I have no idea how far away Philogene Bidace is at this stage?

I see a net spend there of circa £50-60m and think we would have a really interesting squad on the back of that and one that could definitely compete at the top end of the table.

1 hour ago, BOF said:

This just made me really nervous. We’re going to sell all our best players aren’t we :( 

I think the days of the likes of Spurs picking us off are gone. They're not really a bigger club. Not historically and in about 2 or 3 years, hopefully, not presently either. If we keep improving, we'll keep our best players. Jack might move on if we don't get CL football in the next few years - which we will.

40 minutes ago, Tayls said:

This just made me really nervous. We’re going to sell all our best players aren’t we :(

It will indeed be a test for Nassef, Wes and Purslow. One that Lerner catastrophically failed.