Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

I think the only way Konsa will leave is if he himself is adamant that he wants to leave. I don't think there's any policy of selling our best players, not sure where some have got that idea from.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I think the Eresdivisie is difficult to assess. I mentioned the AZ players about a year ago on here, so I agree they look good, but there's always the case of Eresdivisie being defensively an absolutely horrible league. Pure garbage. Attacking players often look sensational, when in reality they aren't. They have produced some world class players, but there's also been a substantial amount of complete flops.

It really comes down to scouting. If we got people who can assess it right and pick up the righ players, it will always be worth it. 

Donny Van den Beek or whatever he's called, was supposed to be Manchester United's budget Grealish when they couldn't afford the real deal. He's looked distintly average. Maybe he'll get there after a season of adjusting, but who knows. And he wasn't cheap. £ 40-45 million or something?

yeah, i mean in reality what level is the Eredevise now?, i know it has one or two good clubs, but i would bet money the overall standard is probably somewhere between the Championship and League 1?

the difference has only become wider & more defined over the last 5+ years as the major leagues become more and more physical (in terms of all action cardio and pressing), never thought i would say this (a decade ago), but i think the Dutch league needs to modernise to a degree in terms of the physicality of the league.

Not saying there arent good players in Holland, but i think its much harder to gauge a players actual ability now in the Eredevise due to the league differences.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, paul514 said:

35 million I think, he’s a very good player who can’t get a game as he plays the same role in their setup as Bruno

Whenever I've seen him he's looked bang average, but he's still young I guess

18 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

yeah, i mean in reality what level is the Eredevise now?

There's attacking talent for sure, but defensively it's worse than any of the scandinavian leagues I'd wager.

It's kind of strange tbh. Dunno if it's a tactical or culture thing. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

6 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

There's attacking talent for sure, but defensively it's worse than any of the scandinavian leagues I'd wager.

It's kind of strange tbh. Dunno if it's a tactical or culture thing. 

yeah there is, but as you alluded to, its much harder to evaluate just how good that attacking talent is when its banging goals and playing lovely football against championship/league 1 defences, or even being unsure exactly what the level is they are playing against.

I think what makes it worse is that "good" players in Holland regularly demand 30-40m+ to buy them, so its a risk to some degree, i remember reading an article last year where some scouts were saying its harder now to judge players in holland as the league isnt at the level it used to be, or that the league is where it used to be but modern leagues have moved on over the last 5+ years and dutch leagues havent moved with them.

1 hour ago, useless said:

I think the only way Konsa will leave is if he himself is adamant that he wants to leave. I don't think there's any policy of selling our best players, not sure where some have got that idea from.

This.

I don't get the fear by some that we are suddenly going to start losing our best players.

I think unless any said player kicked up and fuss and demanded to leave then I don't think anyone is going anywhere.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

This.

I don't get the fear by some that we are suddenly going to start losing our best players.

I think unless any said player kicked up and fuss and demanded to leave then I don't think anyone is going anywhere.

Off topic, sorry... but I got so accustomed to seeing your avatar and now you've changed it. It's like all of a sudden having to 'get to know you again...' Shame on you sir 😉

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

This.

Jack just signed a new deal as well, if thats not an ambitious club then what id

• Like 1

2 hours ago, romavillan said:

Economically it would be tempting and a vindication of the recent recruitment policy. Football wise losing Konsa would be an awful decision, he's our best defender for me and has the potential to improve too. He's a fantastic player. I'd give him what he wants!

Sell him and we'd need a CB, LB, RB, wide forward, poss Barkley replacement and depending on Wesley's recovery a striker. That's an expensive shopping list as we'll be able to compete on wages now so we'd be looking for the next level up of player...

Agree on all points, hopefully he wants to sign one.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Raver50032 said:

Off topic, sorry... but I got so accustomed to seeing your avatar and now you've changed it. It's like all of a sudden having to 'get to know you again...' Shame on you sir 😉

I know, I know..

I've had that one since our Championship days. Now that it's obvious we won't be going back to that I thought a change to accommodate our anticipated return to European football.   😘

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

This.

We're in the nice position I think of keeping hold of those we want to keep. I reckon if we offered Emi and Konsa lucrative new contracts end of the season both would sign within days as we've been pretty good for their careers so far.

Also got the luxury of moving on squad players now. Hourihane, Davis, Engels, Taylor, AEM and Gulibert are all certs to leave in summer imo and wouldn't shock me if we cashed in on one of AEG or Trez and Nakamba.

People might be surprised by that and it probably won't happen if we make europa but if letting them go means we can get in two players who can really improve first 11 then it's something we must do.

Feels like we're back in the 2008/09 period now. On the whole we have a generally strong first 11 with one or two weak spots and not a huge amount of quality of depth. Back then we wasted the opportunity with narrow minded approach from O'Neil who signed similar endless players of same profile and we didn't even play half of the ones we signed. Then the better ones left and we signed really poor players for the first 11 and declined quickly down the table.

We're in a better place now so going to be another exciting transfer window as I think a few players across europe will be looking at career trajectory Martinez and Luiz have had since joining us and will want a bit of that.

7 hours ago, MaVilla said:

yeah, i mean in reality what level is the Eredevise now?, i know it has one or two good clubs, but i would bet money the overall standard is probably somewhere between the Championship and League 1?

the difference has only become wider & more defined over the last 5+ years as the major leagues become more and more physical (in terms of all action cardio and pressing), never thought i would say this (a decade ago), but i think the Dutch league needs to modernise to a degree in terms of the physicality of the league.

Not saying there arent good players in Holland, but i think its much harder to gauge a players actual ability now in the Eredevise due to the league differences.

I think you make a salient point.

I think in the summer we really need to be looking at the top talent of teams in France which have been decimated by covid. Look how cheap we got sanson for a player who was worth 40 mil 12 months ago. 

Aside from that Portugal is a great place to look in my opinion. In recent memory it has been as good as Ligue 1 and they have produced a huge number of quality players. Just look at Neves, Fernandes, Bernardo Silva, Jota, Ricardo Pereira, Cancelo.

Yep, desperate need for a number 10 this summer. We go behind and just struggle to break teams down, this goes for when Jack is playing too. Another good player in that kind of area would take pressure off him a bit and hopefully give is a few more cutting passes.

I look at West Ham (a good comparison) and they have Benrahma and Fornals sometimes on the bench as options.. that’s what we need. Genuine game changers. I think we can do it this summer especially if foreign leagues are still in trouble. 

This is my first time posting but I have been following these forums for a long time. 

As much as I have loved watching us this season it is glaringly obvious that we don’t have enough quality/depth to push for a European spot, maybe not even a top 10 finish.

Whose to say how much we will have to spend this summer but here’s what I think we need, in no particular order:

In:

Top quality winger: Grealish can play great on the left but he has been found out too much in his last few games and I much prefer him in a CAM role. The likes of Traore, El Ghazi and Trezeguet are too inconsistent.

Top quality CAM: if we still continue to play Jack on the left then I would like us to go out on a quality player. Barkley just isn’t performing anywhere near as well as he did at the beginning and unless that changes soon, I don’t want to see him here next season. 

CM/CDM: Our problem in Midfield has been present for both this season and last season. We get too overrun and we desperately need a strong physical presence in midfield. Who makes way for this player, I don’t know. As much as I love Mcginn and Luiz, I think we need a player whose a level up on their quality.

Back up LB: I do not want to see Taylor playing for us ever again and if Target gets injured then we are truly screwed. 
Back up RB: Elmo has done us a massive service but she is not on his side and he can’t perform at this level consistently. Depending on what happens with Guilbert, we will need a back up.

Back up CB: Depends whatever happens with Engels. Hause has played well but I’m not sure he will be good enough on a consistent level. If something happens to either Mings or Konsa then we could be in trouble.

Outs:

Taylor and Elmo are too old and are probably on big wages so will be good to get them off the books. 

Hourihane should go, championship is his level.

Think Engels should go too to make way for a new CB.

Lastly I think Davis needs to go out on loan, he’s just not good enough and needs to start playing regularly to get some experience. 

I don’t know who we should sign but I think these should be our top priorities. Certainly will be an interesting summer. 

• Like 1