Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

13 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

Statement signing needed. Raheem Sterling. Out of favour at city, plays sporadically even when he is in favour. fits into the English core of the team, outstanding player and would play week in week out for us next season firing us into europe.

We are minted and need to start making really ambitious signings.

Don't think for a second we could pull it off but would love it if we were to try 

not being funny but Sterling isnt very good imo, he looks better than he is imo due to the fact he is playing with so many good players.

Not saying he's a bad player, but i honestly dont think he is anything close to as good as some people think he is.

• Like 2

I'd hate to sign a Sterling. Would cost a fortune meaning we can't strengthen other areas.

The sort of statements I'm happy with are Grealish and Konsa signing long term deals.

"Big" signings coming in, I want players still on the rise, not ones who might be starting to slide.

No problem with established players in general but the deals have to be right.

• Like 2

Sterling is best judged on his England record than his City record when he isnt playing with same midfield quality. Except for a goal scoring run in 2019 his England record is dreadful 

1 hour ago, TheMelvillan said:

Statement signing needed. Raheem Sterling. Out of favour at city, plays sporadically even when he is in favour. fits into the English core of the team, outstanding player and would play week in week out for us next season firing us into europe.

Don't think for a second we could pull it off but would love it if we were to try 

Why do we "need" a statement signing? Who has been West Ham's or Leicester's statement signings? Everton's statement signing of James Rodrigues has really worked a treat. 

Do you not think securing our best players evidences ambition? Developing our training ground to be one of the the best int he league evidences ambition?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Sterling is best judged on his England record than his City record when he isnt playing with same midfield quality. Except for a goal scoring run in 2019 his England record is dreadful 

He was our best player at the WC imo

But that was more because of his off the ball stuff which was excellent and his counter attacking, we should be a different team at the euros 

And sterling has become the global ambassador of puma in the last year, he will be the brands face in the states (along with neymar I think) 

He won't be leaving City regardless of what football insider say

He definitely won't be leaving them for anyone outside of the top 5 teams in the world 

I don't think they would have a buyer for him 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheMelvillan said:

Not for me. Dreadful finisher, really wasteful in front of goal. Has the ability to get into great positions but is generally then poor at either picking out a pass or scoring the goal. Had his purple patch a season or so ago. 

14 hours ago, paul514 said:

And Firmino doesn't play as a centre forward but more like a 10, then there is the quality of the full backs.....

Like, seriously isn't this all obvious to everyone?

Different system. Watkins can clearly excel in a wide left forward position as part of a 4 3 3 system. His attributes clearly mark him out for that. He isn't really suited to the left winger position in our current formation 4 2 3 1. 

Like, seriously isn't this all obvious to everyone? ;)

Something would be good to know would be is our current formation based on the players we have? Jack wide left because we got Barkley in? Or is this the way we will set up and we need to find the best players for the positions. It's probably the latter, but we don't know. 

• Confused 1

Genuinely feel we have a great opportunity to surpass the likes of Spurs & Arsenal in the near future. We are continuing to progress as a club on all fronts, we just need to get the recruitment right. Arsenal are a mess & I can only see Spurs continuing to decline unless they somehow get a genius of a manager in.

No interest in “statement signings” as regarding renowned players at “top clubs” on massive wages & for massive fees. They wouldn’t want to leave their clubs anyway and should we manage to entice such a player, it’s not worth the cost just for a short term fix and a huge hit to our finances.

We want and need players on the way up that are going to become stars and benefit us in the long term, we just need to identify them and beat other clubs to signing them.

We have invested in and upgraded our scouting & transfer department so should be scouting the globe for the best up & coming talent. But I’m sure we will be looking closer to home too.

Again, I just feel Buendia completely fits the bill. Young (24), has been performing well and continues to improve (great stats & ability), settles and adapted to the country & league(s), exactly what we need in terms of creativity & output and would lessen the reliance on Jack - absolutely a player on the way up. He’s the kind of player I hope we don’t miss out on because whoever gets him will be getting a future star.

• Like 2

We’re not signing Sterling or anyone like him. Wouldn’t happen and wouldn’t make sense.

Someone also suggested Ake on Twitter... also makes no sense. 

These kinds of players were bought for and are valued at huge fees and on massive wages. They would see us as a big step down too but that’s besides the point. It would be reckless to target players that would cost us so much and potentially destabilise our team, wage structure and finances.

Our strategy is sound & sustainable. We want to have long term success and build something, it’s the right way.

You don’t need to spend mega bucks to have a young, exciting team that will continue to improve and achieve success together. As is the way, as players progress, their contracts have to be improved with wage rises & bonuses etc. so to sign someone who’s already on 150-200k a week or something is also madness.

We may be rich but it’s best to be sensible with the wealth and there’s also FFP to consider and adhere to. We won’t be damaging the club as we have done in the past.

• Like 2

Fans clamouring for Sterling and the like clearly don't understand the sustainable concept.

Sterling is nearly 27. We would pay 50 million, high wages with limited resale value. Commercially, we do not generate enough to throw away 50 - 80 million on 1 player.  We need to treat players like assets. Spending 37m on Watkins is fine, because he's worth 40 to 50 now and young. We can get a contract out of him and sell for more than we paid. That's sustainable. 

We are slowly building towards the Leicester model (with a better youth system). Expect only players 25 or under with high potential resale value. 1 star player to be sold if there's a crazy offer. 

We need better options in depth most places, and Barkley, McGinn, AEG, Trez are all players we could do with upgrading in the first team. But THE most important thing is that we get more creativity in the side.

Our attacking football without Jack is completely limp dick. It has to be adressed.

I'd be far happier with signing players who fit the system than signing big name individuals. Sure, it's exciting, but it doesn't always work. Cohesion over dis-jointed individualism every time.

Happy to see more links to Dwight McNeil this morning. He's PERFECT for us. Easily the best player at Burnley (showed this class against us, sadly), suits our style, and is only 21. Reel him him!

No to sterling and no to all these once big name stars that once were who want or are looking for a new club to rejuvenate themselves.

You can almost guarantee with our track record of that type of signingthat the club would be lumbered with expensive signings on alot of money per week.

You want big money signing, I don't mind one bit so long as we do it the right way and find the players who are kicking ass regular at the top of the league's in the top teams. Sure it would be difficult but once you get a couple through the door, more will follow.

27 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

We’re not signing Sterling or anyone like him. Wouldn’t happen and wouldn’t make sense.

Someone also suggested Ake on Twitter... also makes no sense. 

I would sign Ake just to piss off Bournemouth when he is rightfully back up to MIngs here :P 

2 minutes ago, Beastmix said:

I'd be far happier with signing players who fit the system than signing big name individuals. Sure, it's exciting, but it doesn't always work. Cohesion over dis-jointed individualism every time.

Happy to see more links to Dwight McNeil this morning. He's PERFECT for us. Easily the best player at Burnley (showed this class against us, sadly), suits our style, and is only 21. Reel him him!

Yeah he showed creativeness against us and leadership.

Another is Costa periera, I said before the game that he was the one to look out for, that he'd Rally his team and he did. He was so dominating against us that he fired up his team multiple times, he's one of those player who inspires his team mates much like Grealish does for us.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, QldVilla said:

Sterling is a bit of a blunt instrument, fast yes, but not enough creativity for me.

He’s a bit of a headless chicken. A better version of Adama Traore but not much better. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Beastmix said:

McNeil would cost a fortune though, he’s a good player yes but he’s only scored 2 goals this season imagine the stick everyone on here would give Traore and Elghazi if they only scored 2 goals and yes I know it’s not all about goals, but if Traore was playing for another premier league club we’d all be saying “oh that Traore at Burnley looks excellent I hope we sign him”.