zab6359

3 hours ago, paul514 said:

Who says he is coming in? He only signed for them 3 months ago

Hungarian media said we are fighting Newcastle for him. 22 million price tag

Edited by Zatman
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

maybe but he did nothing last season in the Premier League

Just checked he was out injured on two occasions last year and don't think he played a full 90 mins. He looks pretty decent 

1 minute ago, vreitti said:

Well then, it must be true.

in fairness most of our reliable transfer stories in recent seasons came from foreign media compared to the crap SKY would say. Think they linked us with Joe Hart and Daniel Sturridge last 2 seasons :D 

He really hasn't played  much top level football, spent last two years in Cyprus. 8 caps for Hungary.

Engels had much more top level experience when we signed him so given we signed him for about 7m fee seems way OTT if that's what Fener want for him.

I'd be wanting Tammy Abraham and Emi Buendia as top targets. The latter, although just promoted with Norwich, may not want a relegation scrap. I'd pay Norwich what they want. He could easily do a job on the flanks and can deputise when Grealish is out.

13 hours ago, Mazrim said:

I agree. I wonder if he's a bit thick or lazy or both. There was an England spot up for grabs too. No chance now.

I appreciate he's lacked some fitness but then he always seems to. At times he's basically walked around the pitch. Not good enough. He'll do something incredible once every 10 games that will 'top him up and then next to nothing. Meanwhile, Lingard and other loan players are lighting it up and seizing their chances.

Our loan signings have been an absolute horlicks for too long now. We need to get that right this summer.

Wonder if it's a Stan Collymore scenario - minus the extreme summer 98 meltdown. 

The talent is undoubtedly there. Based on his early success at Everton, his England career in a position with plenty of competition and his subsequent move to Chelsea.

He looked like just what we needed for the first part of this season. But on recent performances it's as if there is no fuel in the tank. Whatever is causing that. Long Covid, shite attitude after being subbed/ dropped or whatever. 

A real shame.  We need a player like the one who combined so effectively with Jack in Oct/Nov. I know it's almost compulsory to ridicule him now., but personally I'm glad for that early blast of form. It tipped the balance for us that early part of the season and means we weren't going down the home straight looking over our shoulder desperately trying to chisel out 37+ points. 

The counter to that is him maintaining form and Jack not being injured = we'd prob be roughly where West Ham are in this oddest of seasons. Which is where most of the frustration comes from I guess. 

Edited by HolteExile

2 hours ago, HolteExile said:

Wonder if it's a Stan Collymore scenario - minus the extreme summer 98 meltdown. 

The talent is undoubtedly there. Based on his early success at Everton, his England career in a position with plenty of competition and his subsequent move to Chelsea.

He looked like just what we needed for the first part of this season. But on recent performances it's as if there is no fuel in the tank. Whatever is causing that. Long Covid, shite attitude after being subbed/ dropped or whatever. 

A real shame.  We need a player like the one who combined so effectively with Jack in Oct/Nov. I know it's almost compulsory to ridicule him now., but personally I'm glad for that early blast of form. It tipped the balance for us that early part of the season and means we weren't going down the home straight looking over our shoulder desperately trying to chisel out 37+ points. 

The counter to that is him maintaining form and Jack not being injured = we'd prob be roughly where West Ham are in this oddest of seasons. Which is where most of the frustration comes from I guess. 

Aye I am so glad we paid 11 million plus his wages to borrow that waste of breath

I've said it all season but I think our priority this window should be Yves Bissouma.

He would provide so much that we are currently missing in our midfield and allow players like Luiz and McGinn a lot more freedom to do what they are good at further forward.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, picicata said:

I thought it was 11m including his wages? Still too bloody much whatever!

If we had purchased him for 44m on a 4 year contract, we’d have charged our finances 11m a year, presume that’s where the calculation came from.  We then paid his wages.  In hindsight, yes too much, but felt about right at the time ??

18 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Anyone else you'd take from these now theyre down? Possibly john egan as a bk up cb but only at a push. Really no standout talents except berge

Egan and O'Connell both played under Smith before. Not sure how fit O'Connell is since he has missed most of the season

35 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Anyone else you'd take from these now theyre down? Possibly john egan as a bk up cb but only at a push. Really no standout talents except berge

I know Brewster has had a bit of a nightmare but if they're desperate to get rid I'd take him.  I just think he would fit what we want much better than Sheff Utd.  I suspect they will want to rely on him scoring goals to get them back up again though.

49 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Jaden Bogle as RB back up to Cash would be a decent pick up but not essential. 

Sander Berge very decent CM and depending on price could be worth a look.

Possibly John Egan as a replacement for Engels?