Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

1 minute ago, 7392craig said:

I agree, I just think Jack’s future isn’t on the wing. He is one of only a few players atm who can drive through the centre of the pitch. He’s great out wide, but a bit of a gem at no 10. 

The game is dynamic, players move around in order to confuse opponents, he could start there like he does now.

Just another thought.........In the past, we have scored many goals from clinical crosses and headers....Dion Dublin, Garry Thompson,Peter Withe all had aerial prowess.....I know its not a thing in vogue, but headed goals still feature prominently in goals to change games.

We would do well, to be better at it....it would help us maintain the initiative.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 7392craig said:

Not as a traditional one, but as a front three I think he fits.

I think he is more of a traditional inside forward, more than centre forward...bit like a Dalian Atkinson type.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Just now, TRO said:

The game is dynamic, players move around in order to confuse opponents, he could start there like he does now.

Just another thought.........In the past, we have scored many goals from clinical crosses and headers....Dion Dublin, Garry Thompson,Peter Withe all had aerial prowess.....I know its not a thing in vogue, but headed goals still feature prominently in goals to change games.

We would do well, to be better at it....it would help us maintain the initiative.

I agree that he can be utilised in different positions to fit tactics, but as his central position I see him playing his best football in the centre of the pitch.

3 minutes ago, sne said:

Don't think Watkins would make a good PL wide player.

Don't know we want to try, having a good season asa central striker, made the England squad, had some bad luck too

And fans want to push him out wide... For Abraham! Madness

Better RW in, better AMC in, stay fit for a full season, Jack stays fit for a full season, his luck moves the ball half an inch away from the woodwork and ollie will flirts with 20 goals next season 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TRO said:

Chris Wood did it to us. I miss Dublin's goals from nowhere.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Rolta said:

Chris Wood did it to us. I miss Dublin's goals from nowhere.

He invariably does.....trouble is it just wipes away all the hard work from from probing and pressing, in just one foul swoop......Dublin was a fine exponent of heading the ball at both ends of the pitch.

When you watch our games back from yesteryear on you tube....heading the ball featured quite heavily in our moments of triumph....it helped us no end, in our moments of success.

Even in the middle of the pitch, it helps with gaining territory and securing momentum in a game, it plays players in and unhinges opposition defences....I think we miss a trick here, we miss out on an option to aid us, score goals....we seem very awkward, with winning the ball in the air., very middling with the task.

When you look at the variety, Chelsea have in Tammy & Giroud and then Werner & Pulisic......large & Little.

I know we can't compete with their squads, but we have much to learn as we go about variety....and adding weapons to our game.

Edited by TRO

27 minutes ago, 7392craig said:

I agree, I just think Jack’s future isn’t on the wing. He is one of only a few players atm who can drive through the centre of the pitch. He’s great out wide, but a bit of a gem at no 10. 

See I think he’s better on the wing, cutting in, less worried what’s behind him, with the right back at him, dragging the right centre back towards him creating space and delivering the killer pass or skipping past them.

Centrally he has the DMs after him and he’s driving straight at the centre backs.

I think he’s far more effective out wide with the ability to roam.

• Like 1

If we've got a space available on the wing and are serious about improving, then better to just sign an actual highly rated winger to play there, rather than playing someone out of position in the hope that it works. Doesn't really make much sense, and that's before you ask yourself why would we move Watkins from the centre-forward position when he's just had two incredible seasons there. We're allowed to sign another striker and have that player compete with Watkins in place in the starting eleven, and we're allowed to have good players on the bench.

• Like 1

Just now, nick76 said:

See I think he’s better on the wing, cutting in, less worried what’s behind him, with the right back at him, dragging the right centre back towards him creating space and delivering the killer pass or skipping past them.

Centrally he has the DMs after him and he’s driving straight at the centre backs.

I can’t disagree as I do still think he is exceptional out wide. I’m genuinely happy to see him play anywhere at all really, he’s a step above anywhere he receives the ball.

• Like 1

Just now, useless said:

If we've got a space available on the wing and are serious about improving, then better to just sign an actual highly rated winger to play there, rather than playing someone out of position in the hope that it works. Doesn't really make much sense, and that's before you ask yourself why would we move Watkins from the centre-forward position when he's just had two incredible seasons there. We're allowed to sign another striker and have that player compete with Watkins in place in the starting eleven, and we're allowed to have good players on the bench.

Spot on, I think the Tammy thing stems from the idea that he wouldn’t sign unless he was first choice. I know nobody has the right to that, but whoever he leaves Chelsea for is signing him to be be a starter.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I agree, Nick.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, useless said:

I thought Trez was supposed to be a pace merchant, when we bought him......another spec savers moment from the scouts.....I thought Traore was supposed to have pace too.

We need to improve our record of finding wide men, me thinks.

I can see the obvious temptation to try and sign Tammy, especially with him being out favour and more “gettable”, but I have mixed feelings about it...

Watkins has had an outstanding first season and is only going to get better, I don’t think shifting him wide from CF is going to help his game and progress and neither player will be willing to sit on the bench.

Tammy is going to be very expensive but he is young, hungry and scores goals - never been a fan of his technique though, particularly the way he tends to strike the ball, almost as if he’s going to scuff it or slide his foot along the ground. I rate Watkins higher and he can score a variety of goals and I am happy with him as our main CF.

I wouldn’t be against signing him but I would rather we spent most of our funds on creative attacking players more than anything.

I also agree that we need a more physical presence in midfield.

Aside from Jack, we struggle to create many chances (I often feel sorry for Watkins who works and runs tirelessly but is so often isolated, just imagine if he received better and more consistent service).

We need to have better players in the first team than the likes of El Ghazi & Trezeguet if we consistently want to be a top half team or chasing Europe. 

Also, I think we should move on from British players and have enough already. They are often over priced, over rated and overpaid. 

Imo, we need to find foreign stars/potential stars (whether from home or abroad) with the superior skill and technical quality that is needed at this level. Not from weak/poor leagues but players that are ready and looking to take the next step up - let’s nip in ahead of the so called “top clubs” and make ourselves a formidable side. 

The likes of Buendia, De Paul and many others... let’s entice these kinds of players and assure them that we have the genuine ambition to compete at the top level.

We made strides this season, let’s make a few more.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Don't know we want to try, having a good season asa central striker, made the England squad, had some bad luck too

And fans want to push him out wide... For Abraham! Madness

Better RW in, better AMC in, stay fit for a full season, Jack stays fit for a full season, his luck moves the ball half an inch away from the woodwork and ollie will flirts with 20 goals next season 

Too good to play out wide....He is one of our few with Pedigree.....He moves like a footballer, looks like a footballer, probably, because he is.

My only critique, is he needs to be more clinical and stay in and around the box more....sounds crazy, but he works too hard, with running others sould do imo

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Rashica just scored at Dortmund. Better than Bellingham and Haaland ;)  

that's comical.....you emoji should have mirrored that.

Edited by TRO

17 minutes ago, useless said:

We need to stop messing about and start spending £60m plus on a genuine world class winger.

Its one thing, the owners sanctioning it, its another , them wanting to come.

• Thanks 1

Would Tammy come back here or does he still think he's cut out for "bigger" clubs. 

Could see eg Spurs going for him if Kane leaves. You would hope his existing knowledge and contacts at the club would help our cause.  

Yes we need a really good winger but we desperately need another striker.