Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

The way things seem to be going I don't actually think we will sign another PL player.

Sure there is value but agents and clubs will literally try to screw as much money as they can out of a player.

Ward-Prowse I thought would be great for us but he'd be £50-60million; Tammy would also be great but again same sort of numbers; if Newcastle stay up there is no way we'd get Saint-Maximin for anything under those same values.

Even the Championship clubs are getting wise as they know we have the money.

The value lies in overseas players notably in Ligue 1, La Liga and Serie A. That's where we should be shopping and finding the 'next-level' players, maybe a Rodrigo De Paul?

The next-level player or two that we require would blow our budget if we shop from the PL.

I cannot see us making any signings from the PL.

Apart from De Paul, my knowledge of foreign players isn't what it used to be.

Here are. couple of EFL players that have caught my eye and been following.

Matthew Sorinola LB & Matt O'Riley Mk Dons. Marcus Forss CF Brentford. 
Han-Noah Massengo CM Bristol City. 

@Villan4Life is better placed to comment on their ability and suitability to make the step up. O’Riley is really intriguing player as was linked with RB Leipzig Dortmund a season of two ago when he was at Fulham and still only 20 yo. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Indigo said:

I like ASM and as much as anything he brings a bit of fun to what can be an at times dreary game, but couldn't and wouldn't necessarily want to see it happen. Predominately plays in the same position as Jack, is the prized asset of a fellow Premier League side (who are semi-established at that, despite seemingly the best efforts from those involved at times to have that not be the case) and to be honest probably doesn't have the goal/assist numbers to justify what it would take to make it happen.

Also he only played 26 league games last season and will probably end up with a similar amount this season too, with a lot of them not being starts.  It would be more of a gamble to sign him than people think.  He's very good on his day though.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

It does make you wonder about the gulf between the PL and the rest of the EFL. I mean, what chance really have a Barnsley, or a Rotherham, or a Cardiff have of reaching the PL, staying there and then kicking on? I mean, the gap is just enormous now to the point where the teams that are relegated from the PL are almost certain to bounce straight back due to the money they made by reaching the PL and the players they acquired in trying to stay there. 

Realistically, only 1 club will make it into the PL from the Championship that hasnt been there the year before and even then, they'll probably just settle for taking the money and going straight back down. 

Football is in an awful state really but you will never, ever hear pundits or broadcasters mentioning it as long as they can televise Chelsea vs. Spurs at the weekend. It's very lucky we were taken over by who we did and when we did otherwise we were really in a mess. 

All depends on the manager really. Burnley spend about 5 quid each summer and this will be their sixth year in premier league. Brighton have been up since 2017 aswell.

What did the promoted teams this year, well Fulham and West Brom was the ridiculously short turnaround between seasons. We all moaned that winning the play offs puts us at disadvantage compared to the other promoted teams, well the promoted teams last summer had about 5 weeks to get prepared.

If Fulham had got the team they have now from first game they'd probably have another 5-6 points on the board and West Brom probably should've sacked Bilic a few weeks earlier. They also needed the players they signed in January in the summer aswell as likes of Yokusulu and Diagne upfront have really improved them in final third.

Edited by VillaChris

30-40m signings are generally what you have to do though if you really want to establish yourselves in the top part of the league. Leicester signed Youri Teliemans for 35m two years ago now and Everton have spent that on players in a fair few positions and they still might make europa.

West Ham aswell spent that over last few seasons although ironically some of those like Haller and Felipe Anderson have already been bombed out which might give a clue the dressing room is a happier place.

Mad to think just over 10 years ago our record signing was still Milner/Downing at around 12m I think. Shows how ridiculous the fees are now for even mid range players and now 8-12m is purely squad player fee or someone with big potential like Konsa.

A player like an Abdallah Sima could be an interesting one for Villa to look at. There's certain project teams like Slavia Prague out there that have enough backing that they're able to hold onto their more prized assets (Soucek etc) for an extra season or two so they can then sell on to PL sides for double the money they'd have previously charged teams from the Bundesliga or whatever. A lot of people talk about how we need to be signing your Sarrs, ASMs of the world before they've already made a move to England and subsequently doubled/tripled their price and I think Sima is one that fits into that category.

He ticks a lot of boxes that seem to fit what we need in a player on the right hand side. Only 19 and can also cover striker, is quick and direct but also tall and scores his fair share of headers. Has 16 goals/assists in 18 league games this season, along with 5 goals and 1 assist in the Europa League against a higher standard of opposition than your average Czech league side. 

Edited by Indigo
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, VillaChris said:

30-40m signings are generally what you have to do though if you really want to establish yourselves in the top part of the league. Leicester signed Youri Teliemans for 35m two years ago now and Everton have spent that on players in a fair few positions and they still might make europa.

West Ham aswell spent that over last few seasons although ironically some of those like Haller and Felipe Anderson have already been bombed out which might give a clue the dressing room is a happier place.

Mad to think just over 10 years ago our record signing was still Milner/Downing at around 12m I think. Shows how ridiculous the fees are now for even mid range players and now 8-12m is purely squad player fee or someone with big potential like Konsa

Leicester have been selling star players to fund transfers in. 

We'd probably need to sell one of Martinez, Mings, Konsa or Targett for big money to fund new arrivals. 

I'm leaving Jack out of it for now because we can't afford to sell him. But we need to plan for that too. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Mad to think just over 10 years ago our record signing was still Milner/Downing at around 12m I think. Shows how ridiculous the fees are now for even mid range players and now 8-12m is purely squad player fee or someone with big potential like Konsa.

Just to give a bit more crazy context, Villa’s transfer record as it stands will be £33m IF Watkins triggers whatever clauses that are in there. Hopefully he does as I assume that means he’s continued to do well.

Man City paid £32.5m for Robinho in 2008. Carroll to Liverpool for £35m was 2011. We’re only just now reaching these sort of figures.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Indigo said:

A player like an Abdallah Sima could be an interesting one for Villa to look at. There's certain project teams like Slavia Prague out there that have enough backing that they're able to hold onto their more prized assets (Soucek etc) for an extra season or two so they can then sell on to PL sides for double the money they'd have previously charged teams from the Bundesliga or whatever. A lot of people talk about how we need to be signing your Sarrs, ASMs of the world before they've already made a move to England and subsequently doubled/tripled their price and I think Sima is one that fits into that category.

He ticks a lot of boxes that seem to fit what we need in a player on the right hand side. Only 19 and can also cover striker, is quick and direct but also tall and scores his fair share of headers. Has 16 goals/assists in 18 league games this season, along with 5 goals and 1 assist in the Europa League against a higher standard of opposition than your average Czech league side. 

I imagine he's desperate to get out of the Czech league too given their endemic racism problem. 

19 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

The way things seem to be going I don't actually think we will sign another PL player.

Sure there is value but agents and clubs will literally try to screw as much money as they can out of a player.

Ward-Prowse I thought would be great for us but he'd be £50-60million; Tammy would also be great but again same sort of numbers; if Newcastle stay up there is no way we'd get Saint-Maximin for anything under those same values.

Even the Championship clubs are getting wise as they know we have the money.

The value lies in overseas players notably in Ligue 1, La Liga and Serie A. That's where we should be shopping and finding the 'next-level' players, maybe a Rodrigo De Paul?

The next-level player or two that we require would blow our budget if we shop from the PL.

I cannot see us making any signings from the PL.

Apart from De Paul, my knowledge of foreign players isn't what it used to be.

I agree with what you say but is our fan base patient enough to allow these players to get used to the premier league become established and then move to the next level ? We have had some very talented young players in recent years who were not given time, moved on and are now having very successful careers in other teams. Recent comments on other threads suggest that patience is already wearing thin with Sanson, it’s a good job crowds are not allowed at present otherwise he could be another one on his bike too soon.

29 minutes ago, smg said:

I agree with what you say but is our fan base patient enough to allow these players to get used to the premier league become established and then move to the next level ? We have had some very talented young players in recent years who were not given time, moved on and are now having very successful careers in other teams. Recent comments on other threads suggest that patience is already wearing thin with Sanson, it’s a good job crowds are not allowed at present otherwise he could be another one on his bike too soon.

I like Sanson, a lot of the problems he has is clearly because he is feeling rushed due to the pace of the league.  It's something I expect him to adapt to as he has good technique and a turn of pace.

I'm confident that Between Sanson, Luiz, and McGinn number 8 is a well stock position for now. We just need to get a quality 6 in so they can play as 8's rather than a 6.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, thabucks said:

I’d freshen up the midfield and if WHU or someone came in for McGinn and if the price is right I’d sell him and reinvest. 

I think McGinn is key to the squad balance and harmony. The club will do everything they can to keep hold of the spine of our team. Players like McGinn, Grealish, Mings, Konsa, Watkins, Targett, Martinez etc. will be here for a long time unless stupid money is offered.
He's also our best central midfielder so not sure selling him is the right thing to do. 

• Like 2

Just now, Delphinho123 said:

I think McGinn is key to the squad balance and harmony. The club will do everything they can to keep hold of the spine of our team. Players like McGinn, Grealish, Mings, Konsa, Watkins, Targett, Martinez etc. will be here for a long time unless stupid money is offered.
He's also our best central midfielder so not sure selling him is the right thing to do. 

I’d only sell him for the right price for us - not sure what that is but am talking about stupid money not just sell him for the sake of it... 

16 hours ago, Indigo said:

Slavia Prague are owned by Chinese government so a bit easier for them to get a better deal for players 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, thabucks said:

I’d only sell him for the right price for us - not sure what that is but am talking about stupid money not just sell him for the sake of it... 

Yeh, fair enough. Everybody has their price and I'm sure if a bid of 30m+ came in for McGinn, we'd certainly look at it. I just don't think the club want to let go any of the players I mention, only to add to that spine. Players like El Ghazi, Sanson, Trezeguet, Traore, Nakamba, Engels etc. These are the players that will be sold or moved on in the next couple of years I'd imagine. We've obviously only just signed some of them so can't see it just yet.

I'd certainly be looking to move El Ghazi, Nakamba and Engels on in the summer at the very least. 

• Like 3