Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

With the new Super League Announcement it be difficult to sign players now and keep Greaslish. Spurs, Arsenal, Manchester and chelea all have an extra 450 mil to spend. 
Could see the owners selling up, bad news for their investment and for the club now its difficult to compete

• Haha 1

I have no idea what you lot are on about the is a 0% chance of this super league going ahead literally everyone is against it.

Personally I don’t think it is a terrible idea if all the clubs that are in it are up for relegation but that isn’t being proposed. They said 12 clubs they expect 3 more to sign up and then 5 coming in from the leagues each year. It suggests the three are Dortmund, Bayern and PSG with one from each of the top 5 leagues each year. It’s basically a champions league replacement with 15 clubs in it from the get go regardless.

if it were 20 clubs based on finishing position from the top 5 leagues using their own formula 4 Italy 4 spain 3 Germany 2 France 7 England then that would be a boost to the teams from our league.

There will be no ramifications for clubs spending plans based on this as it won’t happen.

Edit 

just read an update in the telegraph and they have suggested the three teams are the ones I mentioned and the 15 do automatically qualify. It’s that automatically qualify that is the problem.

Seriously if that were removed it is a better competition and better for us.

Edited by paul514

2 hours ago, paul514 said:

I have no idea what you lot are on about the is a 0% chance of this super league going ahead literally everyone is against it.

Personally I don’t think it is a terrible idea if all the clubs that are in it are up for relegation but that isn’t being proposed. They said 12 clubs they expect 3 more to sign up and then 5 coming in from the leagues each year. It suggests the three are Dortmund, Bayern and PSG with one from each of the top 5 leagues each year. It’s basically a champions league replacement with 15 clubs in it from the get go regardless.

if it were 20 clubs based on finishing position from the top 5 leagues using their own formula 4 Italy 4 spain 3 Germany 2 France 7 England then that would be a boost to the teams from our league.

There will be no ramifications for clubs spending plans based on this as it won’t happen.

Edit 

just read an update in the telegraph and they have suggested the three teams are the ones I mentioned and the 15 do automatically qualify. It’s that automatically qualify that is the problem.

Should be a good competition with our “big 6” being made up of a team that’s probably going to finish 7/8th and another who will probably finish 11th with Leicester who are better and more sensible run than Spurs and arsenal don’t get a look in despite actually winning some trophies 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, TRO said:

What is the general consensus of why we bought Sanson?

I reckon he was probably seen as a potential improvement on our current box to box midfielders. Plus he can play in any midfield position. When you then take into account the relatively low fee it just made sense.

I can see Luiz and Sanson becoming our preferred box to box midfielders. With McGinn and Jacob being hot on their heals.

8 hours ago, messi11 said:

With the new Super League Announcement it be difficult to sign players now and keep Greaslish. Spurs, Arsenal, Manchester and chelea all have an extra 450 mil to spend. 
Could see the owners selling up, bad news for their investment and for the club now its difficult to compete

Or the owners could see it as an opportunity to be at the forefront of a revamped Premier League, European competition etc?

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Or the owners could see it as an opportunity to be at the forefront of a revamped Premier League, European competition etc?

I see this being a way more likely outcome. They knew that this super league was being touted when they bought the club. It has been floating around since 2015 or so maybe earlier. They would have considered this scenario prior to buying the club and weighed up the relative risks and rewards. These guys aren't f***ing around and I expect them to use what is happening to their advantage.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I think the only moral stance is for domestic leagues to remove membership of these 'founding SL members'. If it is allowed as being proposed then domestic competition will be null and void.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sparrow1988 said:

I see this being a way more likely outcome. They knew that this super league was being touted when they bought the club. It has been floating around since 2015 or so maybe earlier. They would have considered this scenario prior to buying the club and weighed up the relative risks and rewards. These guys aren't f***ing around and I expect them to use what is happening to their advantage.

I think its much more likely that it is just being used as a bargaining chip to get closer to what they want out of the revamped Champion's League.

I don't understand why our big clubs want to give the other big European clubs the chance to share in what we are creating with the Premier League - the best and most watched league in the world.  I say let's reduce the commitment to European football - we've just been through Brexit because we didn't want them dictating things to us and taking our monies - and focus on making the PL the best product in the world!!

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, paul514 said:

Edit 

Forgive me for not being willing to take your word as gospel just because you believe it so passionately.

The problem is "literally everyone" isn't against it. The owners of the clubs that have proposed it are for it, and they are the only ones that matter.

Do you think they give 2 shits that a few million people in the UK are going mad on Twitter if Chinese/Indian social media shows support for the idea?

I agree the main issue is the automatic qualifications, but that's kind of a key reason for them to create it in the first place.

Anyway, bit OT, so sorry for that...

Just now, Sam-AVFC said:

Forgive me for not being willing to take your word as gospel just because you believe it so passionately.

The problem is "literally everyone" isn't against it. The owners of the clubs that have proposed it are for it, and they are the only ones that matter.

Do you think they give 2 shits that a few million people in the UK are going mad on Twitter if Chinese/Indian social media shows support for the idea?

I agree the main issue is the automatic qualifications, but that's kind of a key reason for them to create it in the first place.

Where will they play when they can't play at the stadium as the licence for them to do so is revoked?
What will the contract situation be for the players that don't want to continue at those clubs because they will be banned from all other competitions?

Seriously the clubs owners can be brought to their knees over this extremely easily, because as previously stated everyone is against it.

I am actually for it if qualification for the competition each year is based on merit, as then the proposal is for a champions league of 5 leagues only. It would benefit us as we would be more likely to compete in that competition and for the sake of this thread, boost our funds for transfers.

4 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

I'm sure that the Chinese/Indians would like more access but, as I understand it, most football around the world has a pyramid system?

It is the US model that has franchises/draft picks and no promotion and relegation and it is this system that they are trying to impose on the top Echelons of football.  I am not a US sports fan but I think most support/interest will come from supporting a local team.  I think even the Chinese/Indians might get bored of Real Madrid v Man Utd twice a year year in year out with nothing riding on it other than a league position??

Arsenal v Spurs this year (I'm not sure if there is a game left) will probably be a dead rubber because they are both mid-table'ish and have nothing riding on it whereas a West Brom v Burnley game - as terrible as the quality of the football might be - could have some real interest in it given that they are both potentially fighting to avoid relegation.

I think it is short term greed to try and replace the pyramid system that might lead to longer term indifference and a reduction in appetite. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, paul514 said:

Where will they play when they can't play at the stadium as the licence for them to do so is revoked?
What will the contract situation be for the players that don't want to continue at those clubs because they will be banned from all other competitions?

Seriously the clubs owners can be brought to their knees over this extremely easily, because as previously stated everyone is against it.

I am actually for it if qualification for the competition each year is based on merit, as then the proposal is for a champions league of 5 leagues only. It would benefit us as we would be more likely to compete in that competition and for the sake of this thread, boost our funds for transfers.

As Florentino Perez said, they'd just have their own world cup if banned.

I don't see stadium licences being an issue either as cities will be willing to give huge incentives for what will become non localised franchises to move. Bring on the Mumbai Red Devils. I also don't think local or central government would be able to revoke licences out of spite without facing (and likely losing) big legal challenges.

One way countries could potentially try and stop it happening is by insisting certain taxes get counted over more than one country, when in the past they would have waved these requirements in the interest of competitions running.

Player power is a big one, but I'm not convinced there are that many players that would be willing to stand together and speak out against tripling their salaries.

1 minute ago, barry'sboots said:

I'm sure that the Chinese/Indians would like more access but, as I understand it, most football around the world has a pyramid system?

It is the US model that has franchises/draft picks and no promotion and relegation and it is this system that they are trying to impose on the top Echelons of football.  I am not a US sports fan but I think most support/interest will come from supporting a local team.  I think even the Chinese/Indians might get bored of Real Madrid v Man Utd twice a year year in year out with nothing riding on it other than a league position??

Arsenal v Spurs this year (I'm not sure if there is a game left) will probably be a dead rubber because they are both mid-table'ish and have nothing riding on it whereas a West Brom v Burnley game - as terrible as the quality of the football might be - could have some real interest in it given that they are both potentially fighting to avoid relegation.

I think it is short term greed to try and replace the pyramid system that might lead to longer term indifference and a reduction in appetite. 

Completely agree with your last line, I just don't think they will realise that before it's too late to stop the split.

It is a very North American model, but most of the driving force behind the new league appears to come from American owners, and I don't believe they really understand how alien closed sporting leagues are to the rest of the world.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, messi11 said:

If the ESL were to go ahead it would make Grealish staying an inevitability. He'd run through a brick wall to playfor England, and it's already been confirmed players appearing in the ESL will be banned from international competition. There's no way he'd move in those circumstances. And if he did it'sd just show he's only bothered about money, not being the best footballer he can be, which stands counter to everything he's said and done since appearing in the first team.

He doesn't strike me as a Delph.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, messi11 said:

I think the pull of continuing to play for England would be much stronger for Jack, than joining one of that bunch. We might also be able to take a couple of their internationals off their hands, if England do ban players from those greedy clubs. ;)

1 hour ago, barry'sboots said:

I think its much more likely that it is just being used as a bargaining chip to get closer to what they want out of the revamped Champion's League.

I don't understand why our big clubs want to give the other big European clubs the chance to share in what we are creating with the Premier League - the best and most watched league in the world.  I say let's reduce the commitment to European football - we've just been through Brexit because we didn't want them dictating things to us and taking our monies - and focus on making the PL the best product in the world!!

I would say that isn't really the solution either. The access to the Champions League has been one of the catalysts for the improvement in the Premier League. It is where the real money is at and best players want to play against the best players. A PL only solution would result in a massive talent drain not just of the foreign players but also the top English players will be off too.

Cutting yourself off from the rest of the world is rarely a solution for anything. I would suggest striking a balance between the two.