Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

On 17/08/2021 at 19:08, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

It's not even a classic Dean 'yeh, no', it's just a 'no'. 

Now, there might be some opportunity that becomes available between now and the end of the window. But I'd assume all the irons we had in the fire have either signed or gone cold (JWP?).

It actually WAS a " Yeah, no " when I listened to be fair.

3 minutes ago, sne said:

I think after the Grealish sale we are forced into a mini rebuild phase and to use US-sport terms I don't think we need or should make "win now" signings.

IF we have and extra £50m to burn I much rather we spent it on say Doucoure + Damsgaard than on JWP.

Would not get us into Europe next season but would hopefully leave us in a great position going forward. I can wait a season or 2 if I feel the club has a clear strategy and I don't feel JWP would offer that much difference to out midfield or make us that much better that we would be top-7 candidates this season. Fine player, great set pieces, too pricey for me.

Agreed. It seems a common school of thought that it must be JWP or no one.

If (and its a big if imo) we are going to make further moves in the TM there are other options available.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, sne said:

I think after the Grealish sale we are forced into a mini rebuild phase and to use US-sport terms I don't think we need or should make "win now" signings.

IF we have and extra £50m to burn I much rather we spent it on say Doucoure + Damsgaard than on JWP.

Would not get us into Europe next season but would hopefully leave us in a great position going forward. I can wait a season or 2 if I feel the club has a clear strategy and I don't feel JWP would offer that much difference to out midfield or make us that much better that we would be top-7 candidates this season. Fine player, great set pieces, too pricey for me.

In large it’s where I’m at with Villa.. I’m not fussed about getting in to European football this season.  I’m happy with steady progression without spending silly money on players barely better than players we already have. 

the problem with our midfield isn’t the players we already got, but how we play. We try be an attacking team with our midfield pushed up. It just catches us out far too much   

Edited by CarryOnVilla
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, sne said:

Waiting a season or 2 in the PL doesn’t really work. What happens if Arsenal, Spurs, Everton, West Ham, Leeds get stronger. We are on these coat tails atm and often in life time waits for no man. We have to strike whilst the iron is hot imo.  I’m not saying break the bank for JWP either,  as I agree, he’s too pricey. Just think we need to strengthen in midfield or we could easily lose the momentum we’ve built over the last few seasons. We might not be so attractive to incoming players in 2 years time and our better players might start getting their heads turned!

Edited by WHY
  • Like 3

Signing JWP would be great but I’m still waiting for the club to unearth that gem for 5-10m. 

I’m not saying that it’s in any way easy to do that, but I was under the impression when hiring McKenzie that we’d spend big but then throw in a couple of gems from abroad that would turn into the next Kante/Mahrez.

I really hope we can shift Nakamba, El Ghazi, Wesley and Hourihane before the window shuts and bring in a couple of central midfielders. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, WHY said:

Waiting a season or 2 in the PL doesn’t really work. What happens if Arsenal, Spurs, Everton, West Ham, Leeds get stronger. We are on these coat tails atm and often in life time waits for no man. We have to strike whilst the iron is hot imo.  I’m not saying break the bank for JWP either,  as I agree, he’s too pricey. Just think we need to strengthen in midfield or we could easily lose the momentum we’ve built over the last few seasons. We might not be so attractive to incoming players in 2 years time and our better players might start getting their heads turned!

I'm not suggesting we do nothing, I'm suggesting we spend money on other players as I don't think JWP would make that much difference that he would propel us into European places.

5 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

spacer.png

They are on their way to be knocked out of the CL qualification by Benfica. The return game is on the 24th so after that they might be up for selling him. Not before thou I'd imagine.

16 minutes ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

A lot of very reasonable posts on this thread this evening. Pleasure to read! 

Martinez needs to play further forward to give the defence some protection or we’re nailed on to go down by the end of January. 

• Haha 2