Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

2 minutes ago, hippo said:

Fair enough.

I guess the question remains how much more are they willing to pump in this window.

Unfortunately I think we’re done. 

Again, as someone else has said, this season we’ll need to temper expectations while maintaining aspiration. As we were last season, we’re not a million miles away from something special. ‘Him’ leaving has knocked us back somewhat. Hopefully we can continue what we started.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

I can see both angles and that's what Deano has been saying, a flexibility that we haven't had till now. Ollie or Ings or both are all doable, styles make fights and we are assembling a squad that can scrap with any team.

I’ve been thinking about this. 
DS has been looking at ways of making us less reliable on one player, which is fair enough. Maybe we’ve done that. Are we a balanced side even after this though? I’m not so sure. Decent defence, decent attack, shite midfield.

Overall strength to me seems down because of this imbalance.

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

Tbf, Arsenal had been chasing Ordegaard for a while: his signing was not a reaction to their woeful showing against Brentford.

Our board isn't going to go out and make signings that haven't been vetted in the usual manner. As such, if we've exhausted the list of possible targets identified at the start of the summer and if no unforeseen opportunities arise between now and the end of the window, then we move on. 

It's a funny market atm: we're flush with cash, in theory, and other clubs are being cautious. I wonder if this means this is an opportunity to blow them out of the water (before gate receipts etc return the landscape to pre-pandemic norms) or if selling clubs are playing hard ball because of the need to raise cash? Perhaps both?

Fwiw, I think clubs will be forced into making loan deals for their deadwood towards the end of the window: as they haven't been able to sell them on permanent deals. I can see us going in for Loftus-Cheek, in our annual game of 'let's loan a Chelsea midfielder who wants to get back into the England squad but probably won't'.

They had but they've clearly ramped up their interest quickly this week which suggests it was partially in response to that defeat at Brentford. 

My worry is the quality players we've brought in (Ings, Bailey, Buendia) are all attacking.

Tuanzebe and Young are average signings and won't actually upgrade on any of our defensive positions. So basically they'll just be cover players.

The main concern for me is if we don't buy a holding midfielder as that is such a key position in this league and we've invested f all on it.

Surely we're done signing players like RLC nowadays. Injuries have ruined him as we saw at Fulham last season. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LondonLax said:

It feels like with the way Dean Smith sets up the team his preferred formation doesn’t have a dedicated defensive midfielder. I think it’s unlikely then that he would have two sitting on the bench most matches. 

we haven't got 2 in the squad , never mind the bench.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

I’ve been thinking about this. 
DS has been looking at ways of making us less reliable on one player, which is fair enough. Maybe we’ve done that. Are we a balanced side even after this though? I’m not so sure. Decent defence, decent attack, shite midfield.

Overall strength to me seems down because of this imbalance.

Either we pull the trigger and fix the midfield

OR

Deano has been told Dougie is back, Sansom is not far away and we believe in Ramsey and Chuk. 

If its the latter then maybe our target is still steady progression, however, numerous players have mentioned top 6.

If we HAVE bid for JWP it has to be the former and its a deal that is difficult to get over the line. If it is this, its game on, we are all out going for it.

We can't stop there though, we need a top DM too.

10 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Either we pull the trigger and fix the midfield

OR

Deano has been told Dougie is back, Sansom is not far away and we believe in Ramsey and Chuk. 

If its the latter then maybe our target is still steady progression, however, numerous players have mentioned top 6.

If we HAVE bid for JWP it has to be the former and its a deal that is difficult to get over the line. If it is this, its game on, we are all out going for it.

We can't stop there though, we need a top DM too.

I am pretty sure, that's not going to happen.Opinion is divided on that and DS seems to think we don't need one.

so we go with what we have.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, TRO said:

we haven't got 2 in the squad , never mind the bench.

No agreed. The point I was making is he typically doesn’t play with even one and has Nakamba on the bench. It’s unlikely that he would buy a second only to have two of them sitting along side each other on the bench. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LondonLax said:

No agreed. The point I was making is he typically doesn’t play with even one and has Nakamba on the bench. It’s unlikely that he would buy a second only to have two of them sitting along side each other on the bench. 

Yeah, I get what you mean.

I have just resigned myself, that, that is how he plays.....I will just sit back and see how it pans out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Phil Silvers said:

Yes, been thinking the same. Familiarity with one another is a key ingredient we haven't had for some time. Whilst I'd like us to keep upgrading every player, we do not always need to, some upgrade themselves, last years Targett for instance. We want to be changing 1 or 2 players every window, not 5/6/7.

Come on, this place would melt down without at least 5 or 6 signings every summer! Its what we have become accustomed to! 

I reckon over the last 6 or 7 years, there can't be many teams that have bought and sold as many players as us. 

• Haha 1

I don’t believe for one moment that Villa are finished in the transfer window with the Grealish money available and a massive hole of quality in Villa’s midfield.

There are some quality players available if Villa are prepared to pay what the selling clubs want. Why wait until January or beyond when those players are available now and clubs are struggling financially? January is notoriously difficult to buy quality as clubs are reluctant to sell their best players mid season.

Villa always keep their transfer deals quiet until they are completed and I’m in no doubt that’s what’s happening now!

17 minutes ago, Xela said:

Come on, this place would melt down without at least 5 or 6 signings every summer! Its what we have become accustomed to! 

I reckon over the last 6 or 7 years, there can't be many teams that have bought and sold as many players as us. 

This place melts down every day, its even worse without the gifs. I might run a poll to see how many have resorted to counselling without the gif button

6 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

This place melts down every day, its even worse without the gifs. I might run a poll to see how many have resorted to counselling without the gif button

Its a test. If you can't work out how to post a gif, you don't deserve to be able to post a gif

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

Just now, Xela said:

Its a test. If you can't work out how to post a gif, you don't deserve to be able to post a gif

giphy.gif

I scoff at your gif, look above sunshine and see my 2 gifs posted whilst you were posting one. There are 7 gif ninja's on VT, 7 only.

Image result for   ninja gif

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, striker said:

I don’t believe for one moment that Villa are finished in the transfer window with the Grealish money available and a massive hole of quality in Villa’s midfield.

There are some quality players available if Villa are prepared to pay what the selling clubs want. Why wait until January or beyond when those players are available now and clubs are struggling financially? January is notoriously difficult to buy quality as clubs are reluctant to sell their best players mid season.

Villa always keep their transfer deals quiet until they are completed and I’m in no doubt that’s what’s happening now!

Assumption overload.

• Haha 1