Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

6 minutes ago, BOF said:

:lol: It's weird. Since he has left, I have no interest in how he's doing. I've no desire to hear anything about him. Not in any childish way. It's just he's irrelevant now. He's done what he's done and that's fine. I don't feel the need to wish him well or ill. He'll do what he does, and once he's doing it 'over there' i.e. not here, then I couldn't care less. He's just another footballer.

That’s exactly where I am at too.

I’ve actually stopped following him on social media now too, I just don’t want to see it.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, KMitch said:

Hourihane and Hause are both in the last year of their contracts.  I can see Hourihane departing before the end of the summer, especially if we manage to bring in JWP.  Hause, though...  Not sure about him.  He's grown a lot since he joined us, when he had one of the worst debuts I can think of since Curtis Davies.  That said, he's never going to challenge Mings/Konsa for a starting spot and really won't be anything more than backup/cup game player for us if we offer him a new deal.  We might keep him on until January then offload him for a million or two to swap for someone better.  Otherwise, we'd offer him a new deal with a view to move him on in the next 2 years.

didn't Hause sign a new deal?

2 hours ago, TRO said:

In my mind having spent all that money and still having one midfielder in the squad with defensive qualities is naive. at best.

It feels like with the way Dean Smith sets up the team his preferred formation doesn’t have a dedicated defensive midfielder. I think it’s unlikely then that he would have two sitting on the bench most matches. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lord Willard said:

If we are happy with the midfield, Id still want a LW. Kamara being mentioned would be great. 

As long as Ings and Watkins aren't in the same starting 11 I think we can get the right balance. If we are planning on starting both, I think we'll struggle.

Buendia, McGinn, Sanson would be a great pressing midfield. Nakamba, Luiz, Carney and Ramsay is fine for rotation. 

AEG needs replacing ASAP

mings better finisher than watkins aqnd watkins is good

2 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

JWP, Bissouma, Damsgaard and close the window, get em done Johan, stop muckin about lad.

Ha ha, I love the ambition.

That would give us a squad that can compete for the next few years. Would only need the odd tweak in future transfer windows.

I think the focus is rightly on outgoings at the moment. Then I’m keeping my fingers crossed that we will bring in a couple more players.

Noises from the club don’t fill me with confidence, but let’s see what the squad looks like on the 1st of September.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

Ha ha, I love the ambition.

That would give us a squad that can compete for the next few years. Would only need the odd tweak in future transfer windows.

I think the focus is rightly on outgoings at the moment. Then I’m keeping my fingers crossed that we will bring in a couple more players.

Noises from the club don’t fill me with confidence, but let’s see what the squad looks like on the 1st of September.

Yes, been thinking the same. Familiarity with one another is a key ingredient we haven't had for some time. Whilst I'd like us to keep upgrading every player, we do not always need to, some upgrade themselves, last years Targett for instance. We want to be changing 1 or 2 players every window, not 5/6/7.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KentVillan said:

The JWP link is legit, I'm 99% sure of that - via a credible source who has been right about a couple of other things before anyone else. So the club must recognise that central midfield can be strengthened, and that it might be worth integrating more players.

My guess is that it's just mundane economics - they can't find a good enough player who wants to join, who's at a club willing to sell at a reasonable price. (Edit: and I think JWP fails the last test. We can't get a reasonable price out of Southampton.)

I think you are on the ball there. I suspect that we were not too far away from doing a deal with them for JWP (probably an increased third bid of around £40-£45m would have done it) but since then things have changed.

We have sold our former captain and have agreed a fair price with them for Ings. In addition to that money, they have also sold Vestergaard, so they have probably got the money they were looking to make their own signings by selling JWP to us, by selling these two players, that had only 12 months of their contract remaining.

JWP is their Jack, so I think it would now take a significantly higher offer to make them consider selling him to us now (possibly £50m - £65m). They are left with a player that probably fancied the move, but understandably the price has risen. If we can't agree a price in this window, this may be a case of the one that got away, as he would be likely to have other suitors in 12 months time. That would be a pity, as like Buendia I think he would have been a great addition. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Hoping the addition of Ings doesn't complicate things too much. I hope we don't shoehorn him in the starting 11 to justify the transfer. We were on to something special with Watkins as the main guy up front. 

It’s a weird one. He’s a great signing, but it sort of pushes us more toward a 4-4-2 unless we are planning to use him as a CAM or, even worse, pushing Watkins to LW.

The bigger problem with the 4-4-2 is that we don’t seem to have CM’s that can play in a midfield two.

It really is a tricky one to balance, but I’m delighted that we have him in our squad.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Hoping the addition of Ings doesn't complicate things too much. I hope we don't shoehorn him in the starting 11 to justify the transfer. We were on to something special with Watkins as the main guy up front. 

Agreed. I think it's a legitimate concern because they're both surely expecting to start games regularly but it doesn't look like we can accommodate the two of them easily. 

10 minutes ago, maqroll said:

It's doable though. An attack biased diamond with Ings just off Ollie could be doable but the guy at the bottom of that diamond has to be shit hot and probably better then what we actually have. Cheque book needs to stay open.

It's an option. Deano said last week he wants a squad that gives him more flexibility. 

Edited by Phil Silvers
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BOF said:

:lol: It's weird. Since he has left, I have no interest in how he's doing. I've no desire to hear anything about him. Not in any childish way. It's just he's irrelevant now. He's done what he's done and that's fine. I don't feel the need to wish him well or ill. He'll do what he does, and once he's doing it 'over there' i.e. not here, then I couldn't care less. He's just another footballer.

Tried to explain this to a Spurs mate who obviously loves Kane.

Tried to explain that I will no longer being telling everyone how good he is as I just don’t feel the desire to. Being a Spurs fan he took this as meaning that I no longer rate him.

Onto the new signings, I’m excited by Bailey and Buendia and I’m hoping one of them or another new player gets some excitement going. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Imagine living in a world where the club choses it's energy drink partner based on what kids might drink. 

Energy drinks are a horrible scourge and should be sold next to the whiskey, if at all. 

Sounds like you have something against whiskey?

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, maqroll said:

I got slated for saying this on here last week, but it's true. Being able to bring one off the bench gives us an alternative in games because they both have their respective skillsets.

It's a small-time mentality to think we can't bring expensive players off the bench for the tactical benefit of the team. Or, to put it another way, it would be better to have Ings or Watkins coming off the bench to make an impact than present-day Big Wes.

• Like 3