Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

1 minute ago, irishvilla1874 said:

While I agree, they are obviously targeting younger fans. I'd imagine Jack had a huge influence on kids deciding what club to follow. 

Imagine living in a world where the club choses it's energy drink partner based on what kids might drink. 

Energy drinks are a horrible scourge and should be sold next to the whiskey, if at all. 

2 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Massive news - good to see the club supporting healthy lifestyles.

Not our usual Wednesday signing but pleased to get this one over the line.   :trollface:

Edited by ferguson1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

The JWP link is legit, I'm 99% sure of that - via a credible source who has been right about a couple of other things before anyone else. So the club must recognise that central midfield can be strengthened, and that it might be worth integrating more players.

My guess is that it's just mundane economics - they can't find a good enough player who wants to join, who's at a club willing to sell at a reasonable price. (Edit: and I think JWP fails the last test. We can't get a reasonable price out of Southampton.)

Absolutely.

It's another one of those things that amuses me - if we're not being linked to players then whoever is in charge of recruitment IS NOT DOING THEIR JOB!  OMG, WE'RE DOING NOTHING FFS.

Almost as if money doesn't matter.

1 hour ago, KentVillan said:

We’re going to captivate the hearts and minds of so many video gamers and BMXers around the globe with this signing.

Edited by Aston_Villan4

31 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

The JWP link is legit, I'm 99% sure of that - via a credible source who has been right about a couple of other things before anyone else. So the club must recognise that central midfield can be strengthened, and that it might be worth integrating more players.

I don't think anyone should worry then. If it's not JWP it will be someone else of similar ability and skills. If the deal is live then the delay will either be Southampton trying to find a replacement or us shifting some deadwood. 

24 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Imagine living in a world where the club choses it's energy drink partner based on what kids might drink. 

Energy drinks are a horrible scourge and should be sold next to the whiskey, if at all. 

i mean, that's basically the case as there's an age restriction on them now. 16, might even be 18

1 hour ago, KentVillan said:

Last time I had a Monster I had heart palpitations for a good hour and gave me the runs.

Nice to get a known sponsor though I guess.

1 hour ago, VillanousOne said:

If links to Doucoure and Sarr were real then it feels like we were looking for an upgrade on Nakamba, but who knows that could have been made up media guff also

Nakamba has been linked with a move to Palace and Everton, so there maybe some credibility to this. 

3 hours ago, Pez1974 said:

Still this about "no more signings" in the press! :bang:

The Ings transfer shows that there are no ITKs. There is no noise from the club, so they have to write something.

We have tonnes of money now, and rich owners - we are going to say 'yes, just 3 more signings', and see the prices double. The comments coming from anyone in the club are the only comments they could possibly make in the circumstances. So they ask the question to which there is an obvious answer, and then publish the rumour mill article.
(Seen a few comments on social media that 'fans need to know' - do these people think other clubs don't read comments!?)

We are in interesting times. If clubs need money, and they have a player we want, we need to be able to take advantage. So we can't just splash out all the money upfront, and miss out on bargains either later in the window or January. We are a well run club - let's remember this. 

There is noise from the club. Lots of it. Saying there are no more signings. The press are doing their job and reporting exactly that.

2 hours ago, BOF said:

Purslow didn't say 'these 3 players had been identified to fill the void'. The past tense there is key. Smith has explicitly said Buendia was coming in to play alongside Jack. So Buendia was not identified as a part-replacement for him. And that's the nuance you're missing. Buendia has become - after the event - part of the solution, because the plan changed. Where you are right is that on paper we have, in theory, recovered from losing Jack and have not necessarily progressed in the manner we would have done had he stayed.  But that's what I mean by "Losing your star player is a setback. You can only do your best to get over it. Let them try and recover from losing him."  Don't get hung up on trying to catch them out. They're trying to limit the damage here.

Fair point, and let’s face it they are doing the best they can under the circumstances. It’s why I am struggling to wish Jack well really, because if he was actively trying to derail our season his departure could not have been better timed.

• Like 3

Monster? Meh, I’m a Relentless Ultra Black guy. All the debilitating heart cramps of a decade’s worth of caffeine crammed into a single dose, but none of the sugar, which let’s face it is the bad guy here.

Hourihane and Hause are both in the last year of their contracts.  I can see Hourihane departing before the end of the summer, especially if we manage to bring in JWP.  Hause, though...  Not sure about him.  He's grown a lot since he joined us, when he had one of the worst debuts I can think of since Curtis Davies.  That said, he's never going to challenge Mings/Konsa for a starting spot and really won't be anything more than backup/cup game player for us if we offer him a new deal.  We might keep him on until January then offload him for a million or two to swap for someone better.  Otherwise, we'd offer him a new deal with a view to move him on in the next 2 years.