Covid outbreak Jan 2021

NurembergVillan

Apart from being the real money-spinner, our eventual league position is more likely to help us to keep our better players than a cup run.

We can have a go at the cups in subsequent seasons when we have a deeper, stronger squad.

This year, let the head rule the heart.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wilko154 said:

I'm about 99% sure the Euro's are going to be cancelled.

It's an absolute joke that domestic competitions are being bent over a barrel to accommodate a tournament that not only probably won't go ahead, but that almost certainly shouldn't go ahead.

All non domestic competition should have been prohibited this season IMO.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, cb_82 said:

If confirmed that we are playing with U23 i would not be suprised to see Liverpool field a weaker team than expected anyway, gives Klopp perfect opportunity to rest his big names

I would’ve thought that Klopp was going to play as weak a team as possible regardless, but if we have to then it won’t be in any doubt.

2 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

I would’ve thought that Klopp was going to play as weak a team as possible regardless, but if we have to then it won’t be in any doubt.

Playing us puts Liverpool at risk of catching it as well. Even Manu may have a dose after Fridays game . 

Great. Just the start of the new year we needed after the less than stellar excuse of a year put behind us.

Now all there is to hope for is that this is just a temporary crisis. We know that one of the scarier aspects of the various covid-19 branches is the long time after effects of an infection, especially on the brains and the lungs. To everyday people this won't necessarily matter too much, but for a top athlete having the lung capacity reduced by a couple of percent can be the difference between a Gardner and a Grealish.

Fingers crossed that everything goes as well as possible.

• Like 1

Yeah, @tinkerI don't really get how it's something they can defend. Plenty of people are getting false negative results, i.e. they are positive but tests claim otherwise. Several months ago they said it was in the 20-30% range. So by playing a squad that may be infected without knowing it, they may end up infecting the remaining players we got or Liverpool's squad. It's just stupid. 

We should just be forced to take a 10 days break. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

People are aaare if we play the kids we would be expeced tk the play the same kids vs spurs. Son and kane would absolutely have a field day.

Its all about safety and i think correct decision is to call it off ro minimise any further risk

I just read that the FA Cup game is likely to go ahead but the Spurs game not. 

Let's be honest,  not many of us are bothered about the cup so whether we play the u23s or forfeit the match its not going to make a difference to how we feel. 

• Like 2

Sounds like we have enough players currently available to play the match.

I’m sure that everyone will be isolating and having multiple tests, including further ones tomorrow morning, before reaching a decision. If we do play it will only be if it is certainly safe to do so, with successive negative tests making the risks of false positives negligible.

And of course, most importantly, I hope everyone affected stays healthy and recovers soon without any long term effects.

6 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Precedent both ways for that 

Would be fuming if we were made to play a weakened team vs spurs after the Newcastle game was called off 

The FA have been shown to be wildly inconsistent so it wouldn’t be a stretch to imagine that scenario. 

1 minute ago, The_Steve said:

The FA have been shown to be wildly inconsistent so it wouldn’t be a stretch to imagine that scenario. 

Different competitions, the league and FA Cup are the FA, the league is the PL 

Orient vs spurs set the precedent for the cups and Newcastle vs us set it for the league 

• Like 1

If the game is to go ahead with us fielding a weakened side I do hope we don't risk any of our more important first teamers for a game we are likely to lose anyway.

Let them rest and save them for the league.

2 hours ago, smg said:

Isn’t the comment you are replying  to about a cup game not the league fixture ?

I have a bridge for sale in London 

Can let you have it for a good price. 

1 hour ago, Gompedyret said:

having the lung capacity reduced by a couple of percent can be the difference between a Gardner and a Grealish.

Surely to make that much difference you’d have to at least remove one of Jack’s legs?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, est1874 said:

It's a joke that this is being made to go ahead while Southampton v Shrewsbury, a day later, is cancelled. Absolute joke.

The circumstances are slightly different - Shrewsbury don't have enough healthy players on their books to fulfil the tie - the FA will decide early next week whether it'll be rescheduled or forfeited.

The Spurs game is a nightmare - their calendar is such that we'll most likely be waiting for them to drop out of the FA Cup or Europa league and then hoping there's a gap in the calendar left behind by that.

We're really only a couple more cancellations somewhere away from being right on the edge of having to cancel the season.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

We're really only a couple more cancellations somewhere away from being right on the edge of having to cancel the season.

I think you are correct with that comment.

Currently due to the many games postponed already any more will surely make this season unmanageable? That is unless they demand to play a game every three days scenario; they wouldn't would they? 

money smoking GIF

Â