Covid outbreak Jan 2021

NurembergVillan

1 minute ago, dudevillaisnice said:

All it takes is another outbreak in another club for the league to become impossible to finish especially with Euros. Can’t keep rescheduling. Something will have to give. Having another international break in between all this is also ridiculous. 

yeah the international break can go **** itself tbf. 

it depends how many more outbreaks, a couple more and then you just have a couple of weeks of games every 2 -3 days which is still shit, but the league will ok that without a second thought. 

• Like 1

The thing is as well villa didnt do themselves any favours when you see the mcginn and grealish video at xmas. That is all good and fun and all. But they are not sitting two metres apart and both touching the wheel machine. 

Not saying that was cause but if things like that are happening regularly your increasing the chances of someone catching it.

22 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

In a strange way it might, assuming first and foremost that everyone is healthy of course, even turn out to be a blessing in disguise that we have an outbreak now, rather than later.

It breaks up our difficult run, and if the Euros don’t get cancelled, there’s going to be a point when the PL simply can’t reschedule any more fixtures. Unfortunately we’ll probably be out of the FA cup but even that might be advantageous in the long run - no more extra matches and the chance to reschedule the Newcastle match on 4th round weekend. 

You are making the HUGE assumption that the players who are infected with the virus come back in the next week or two with no adverse effects. From what I have seen and read this virus effects people from months after the infection has cleared. Some of the Newcastle players are still out with the effects and even those that are back are complaining of fatigue. 

IMO player/ staff welfare is all that really matters. I would be giving Liverpool a bye this evening and focusing on getting everyone fit and well ASAP. The Premier League has set the standard now that if you have a significant outbreak within the camp that the games will be postponed. I don't expect the Spurs game to go ahead now. 

I think it is very unlikely that Euros will go ahead this summer now. And as an RoI supporter I'm fine with that! 

Scouse media all week have claimed Liverpool would be resting all of their usual first teamers so, at best, this was going to be Reserves v Reserves and now it may be Youth v Reserves or even Youth v Youth given Klopp rotates more than Smith and may want to rest most of his first team squad.

As for repercussions for Wednesday, Premier rules are based solely around the registered first team players ....... youth don't feature in their judgements so unless we have around 15 first team squad members available, the game will be off ...... so it will be off for sure !

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

The thing is as well villa didnt do themselves any favours when you see the mcginn and grealish video at xmas. That is all good and fun and all. But they are not sitting two metres apart and both touching the wheel machine. 

Not saying that was cause but if things like that are happening regularly your increasing the chances of someone catching it.

They are in a supposed bubble so safe.  The issue seems to be that they have a test on a Monday but do not get results until Wednesday!!! So they have a weekend with their family who are not in any bubble and that is how it can spread.

Waiting for a result for that long makes the test itself pretty pointless really.

9 minutes ago, Herman22 said:

You are making the HUGE assumption that the players who are infected with the virus come back in the next week or two with no adverse effects. From what I have seen and read this virus effects people from months after the infection has cleared. Some of the Newcastle players are still out with the effects and even those that are back are complaining of fatigue. 

IMO player/ staff welfare is all that really matters. I would be giving Liverpool a bye this evening and focusing on getting everyone fit and well ASAP. The Premier League has set the standard now that if you have a significant outbreak within the camp that the games will be postponed. I don't expect the Spurs game to go ahead now. 

I think it is very unlikely that Euros will go ahead this summer now. And as an RoI supporter I'm fine with that! 

That was literally what I wrote in the first sentence. I’ve been sure to caveat almost every post I’ve made with health is the most important thing, as well as lots of “might”s and “could”s.

Everything I said in that post was based on the assumption of us having an outbreak at some point anyway, which seems almost inevitable at this point, I was just discussing that if we have to have an outbreak, this might not be the worst time. That would be wrong if they manage to get footballers vaccinated soon, but I’m not sure if that will be possible or right on many levels.

Edited by fightoffyour
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, S-Platt said:

They are in a supposed bubble so safe.  The issue seems to be that they have a test on a Monday but do not get results until Wednesday!!! So they have a weekend with their family who are not in any bubble and that is how it can spread.

Waiting for a result for that long makes the test itself pretty pointless really.

Yeah i agree with most of that. Even if your in a  bubble though i think they should take extra precautions as you simply are increasing the risk. 

I do wonder if they will fast track footballers with the vaccine. But i dont think they should be  a priority over elderly the vulerable nhs staff, teachers  etc

I had Covid last month. So did my wife. We STILL have days when we are totally fatigued and we are 40 not 70. 

The idea that this may in any way he a good thing that our players have had an outbreak is downright absurd. Even Kai Havertz has spoken about struggling with long covid.  

We will be very fortunate if this doesn't have a big negative effect on our season. Even AFTER we get torn apart by Liverpool.

1 minute ago, One For The Road said:

I had Covid last month. So did my wife. We STILL have days when we are totally fatigued and we are 40 not 70. 

The idea that this may in any way he a good thing that our players have had an outbreak is downright absurd. Even Kai Havertz has spoken about struggling with long covid.  

We will be very fortunate if this doesn't have a big negative effect on our season. Even AFTER we get torn apart by Liverpool.

Hang on I need to clarify that I in no uncertain terms said it might be good that we have an outbreak. I said if we are going to have one, the timing might not be the worst in terms of fixtures still getting postponed whereas later in the season it will be impossible.

I’m fully aware of the short and long term effects that the virus can cause and I obviously hope that as few people as possible catch it and those that do recover quickly and fully.

• Like 1

You ask any of those kids if they'd rather forfeit the match or have the chance to play against Liverpool.

I'm sure most would say they would love to play them regardless of the result. 

If any say no, they're in the wrong job imo. 

Just to add, peoples and those close to them safety is more important than anything else. 

Edited by chrisvilla4
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Spurs won't say that.

The precedent has been set for the PL in previous postponements. They're not going to turn around and make us play this game when they didn't make Man City, Fulham, Newcastle etc play.

Sorry for being slow. I keep seeing this, but what does it mean? Not the actual words btw, but what precedent? 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

Spurs won't say that.

The precedent has been set for the PL in previous postponements. They're not going to turn around and make us play this game when they didn't make Man City, Fulham, Newcastle etc play.

Hope so. If it was anyone else barring mourinho and levy i think what your saying is correct.

Hopefully common sense will prevail as we should be made to play this game

Just now, KenjiOgiwara said:

Sorry for being slow. I keep seeing this, but what does it mean? Not the actual words btw, but what precedent? 

It means that the PL have already postponed games because of Covid outbreaks before.

At the start of the season they seemed very strict that as long as you could field 14 players then the game went ahead.
But as soon as it actually happened (Newcastle vs Villa) they folded and postponed the game. That set a precedent that any semi-serious covid outbreaks meant fixtures postponed. Then Fulham and Burnley and Everton and Man City have all had games postponed.

The PL can't then turn around to us on Wednesday and force us to play with a severely weakened squad when they've postponed games for everyone else. The precedent has been set that a covid outbreak gets a game postponed and to go back on that now would be outrageously unfair.

FWIW I think teams should have been made to play all along if they can field a squad. But like I said, as soon as the PL postponed that Newcastle game they made a rod for their own back.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Hope so. If it was anyone else barring mourinho and levy i think what your saying is correct.

Hopefully common sense will prevail as we should be made to play this game

But Mourinho and Levy didn't try and force Fulham to play when the exact same thing happened to them the other day. Why would they do that to us now?

It means that the PL have already postponed games because of Covid outbreaks before.

At the start of the season they seemed very strict that as long as you could field 14 players then the game went ahead.
But as soon as it actually happened (Newcastle vs Villa) they folded and postponed the game. That set a precedent that any semi-serious covid outbreaks meant fixtures postponed. Then Fulham and Burnley and Everton and Man City have all had games postponed.

The PL can't then turn around to us on Wednesday and force us to play with a severely weakened squad when they've postponed games for everyone else. The precedent has been set that a covid outbreak gets a game postponed and to go back on that now would be outrageously unfair.

FWIW I think teams should have been made to play all along if they can field a squad. But like I said, as soon as the PL postponed that Newcastle game they made a rod for their own back.

Not just unfair, but Purslow would wipe the floor with them in court.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Ah ok. 

Well, to be honest, the bit in bold is exactly what I'd expect. After VAR I have zero faith in anything

Just now, Stevo985 said:

But Mourinho and Levy didn't try and force Fulham to play when the exact same thing happened to them the other day. Why would they do that to us now?

For that very reason. The fulham games off that needs rescheduling, and they have europe, and still in two domestic cup finals.

Its a fixture pile up nightmare for them. If they will want the game played they certainly will try their best to make us play. Thankfully purslow looks like a tough negotiater so im sure he will stick to his guns with this. 

Just now, Demitri_C said:

For that very reason. The fulham games off that needs rescheduling, and they have europe, and still in two domestic cup finals.

Its a fixture pile up nightmare for them. If they will want the game played they certainly will try their best to make us play. Thankfully purslow looks like a tough negotiater so im sure he will stick to his guns with this. 

No. They won't.

Â