Covid outbreak Jan 2021

NurembergVillan

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

Why aren't the bubbles stricter in the PL? The amount of cases is astounding for a governing body(ies) that seem to be hellbent on finishing the season and getting their monies. Makes absolutely no sense. 

The only way to make it 100% secure is to stop footballers going home to their families. Many of them have kids and my guess is that’s where the cases come from. 

Just now, avfcDJ said:

The only way to make it 100% secure is to stop footballers going home to their families. Many of them have kids and my guess is that’s where the cases come from. 

They could do a bubble like the NBA did where they can bring select family members. They finished off the season last year in that bubble and had 0 cases. They're trying a different approach this year and there still haven't been any cases.

Don't know if this has been mentioned already, but worth looking at what happened to Havertz at Chelsea

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55281082

Chelsea's Kai Havertz says contracting Covid-19 hit him "very hard" and he now understands how difficult the global pandemic has been for others.

Germany international Havertz, 21, tested positive in November and said he spent seven to 10 days "just in my bed and everything was hurting".

Havertz missed three games with the virus but has started Chelsea's past three games in all competitions.

Havertz said it took him two or three weeks but he is now "very fit again".

Since joining from Bundesliga side Bayer Leverkusen for £71m, Havertz has scored three times in 16 appearances - netting a hat-trick against Barnsley in the Carabao Cup.

He told Football Focus: "It was like a very bad flu for me so I think now I know it is very bad for people. Before I sometimes thought, 'OK it is not so bad' but now I get it and I know for older people and people who had illnesses before it can be very bad.

"We all have to look out for each other. To be honest, it was personally very hard."

He added: "When you do nothing for two and half weeks and then you start training again, you feel like you have never played football before. For me it took two or three weeks to get back to 100%.

"Now I have started three games and I'm feeling good. It takes a lot of time and it took around one and a half months for me to get back but now I think I am very fit again and can start to attack again."

Hope none of our players gets it too bad, but it's a real possibility one or two players will be out for a while if a lot of the squad have come down with it.

Just now, KentVillan said:

Don't know if this has been mentioned already, but worth looking at what happened to Havertz at Chelsea

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55281082

Hope none of our players gets it too bad, but it's a real possibility one or two players will be out for a while if a lot of the squad have come down with it.

Yes, first and foremost the wellbeing of the players and the members of staff of course, but after that this is what I'm most worried about. It hit Reina quite hard and Newcastle still have a couple out. I wonder what "a large number" means, but if it's a handful or more there is a real possibility that some will be out for a considerable time, in a couple of positions that will be difficult for us to handle.

11 minutes ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

but doesn't it usually come out anyway one way or another

They only announced 2 of the Newcastle players because they agreed as was rumours of a bust up with Bruce. Its the players rights to be named so can tell the club not to announce them

Now if we are forced to play vs Spurs you will probably be able to guess the players not available

• Like 1

There has been a few cancellations so far but go back a few years and we had loads of weather cancellations, the seasons always got finished. I know this is different and the situation could quickly deteriorate but I think the likelihood is that we may see a postponement rather than a cancellation. Much more likely that the Euros are cancelled again and probably be put back to 2024 two years after the kick around in the sand in 2022. 

37 minutes ago, useless said:

Us having to recall Jake Walker from his loan at Alvachurch isn't a good sign.

Jake Walker is a right back that can also play left back, the fact that we have so many players at the club that can play right back, Kesler, Guilbert, Elmohamady, Cash, or Konsa if needed, suggests to me that he's been recalled to play left back, as we're more likely to be short of players in that position than right back.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Rodders said:

Better than  forfeit, let's enjoy the kids having a go.

I would normally agree, but I think I'd rather forfeit the game due covid than take a beating. 

Id like to remember this season as having beaten Liverpool 7-2.. Not giving them the chance to say 'well we beat you 8-1 in the cup' - no one will remember we played the u-23's.. It'll just be 'Liverpool thrash Aston villa' blah blah blah

I'm normally quite positive about going full on to get a good cup run, but this year I'm just not that bothered about the cups., at all

Edited by richp999

It won't be better than a forefeit if they lose by double figures, it could be a record defeat, the records won't make allowances for the fact that we played a U23 team as technically it will be a senior game.

Well I hope Klopp feels bad and rests everyone 

It's going to be an absolute demolition job otherwise and I don't see how that's beneficial to any of the young players 

Edited by Farlz
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Farlz said:

Well I hope Klopp feels bad and rests everyone 

You know he won't. They haven't been playing all that well recently, and would've love a confidence boosting massive win

Our biggest ever defeat is 0–8 to Chelsea and biggest ever FA Cup defeat 1–8 to Blackburn.

Given that our U23s lost 8–1 to Sunderland earlier this season, then those records could well be broken tomorrow, Liverpool wouldn't even need to play their strongest team for it to be a possibility,  Sunderland didn't even play their strongest team when they beat our youngsters by a big scoreline.

Â