Covid outbreak Jan 2021

NurembergVillan

14 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

The circumstances are slightly different - Shrewsbury don't have enough healthy players on their books to fulfil the tie - the FA will decide early next week whether it'll be rescheduled or forfeited.

The Spurs game is a nightmare - their calendar is such that we'll most likely be waiting for them to drop out of the FA Cup or Europa league and then hoping there's a gap in the calendar left behind by that.

We're really only a couple more cancellations somewhere away from being right on the edge of having to cancel the season.

At this stage that is highly unlikely.

It's January. There are a number of things that would need to happen before the PL and the FA (or the EFL for that matter) would countenance cancelling the season.

As mentioned elsewhere, the likelihood is that the international break will be cancelled first. If cases continue to rise then the Euros will be cancelled, allowing for a break in the league season, with all postponed fixtures to be made up in late spring and early summer.

Edited by est1874

8 minutes ago, est1874 said:

As mentioned elsewhere, the likelihood is that the international break will be cancelled first. If cases continue to rise then the Euros will be cancelled, allowing for a break in the league season, with all postponed fixtures to be made up in late spring and early summer.

This would be the sensible approach but UEFA will do everything in their power to avoid this from happening. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

I don’t care about the cup. Hopefully everyone at the club and their associates stay safe.

I’m a bit concerned about our players having lingering effects of the virus and struggling for the remainder of the season however.

9 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

This would be the sensible approach but UEFA will do everything in their power to avoid this from happening. 

Good luck to them. They couldn't defend a case against a single English club last year - the chances of them having a hope in hell against the combined might of the Premier League, FA and EFL are virtually nil.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, est1874 said:

At this stage that is highly unlikely.

It's January. There are a number of things that would need to happen before the PL and the FA (or the EFL for that matter) would countenance cancelling the season.

Why would UEFA cancel their tournaments (for which they earn hundreds of millions in TV revenues) to enable the league tournaments (for which they earn next to nothing) to continue? 

The way that football is governed and the money distributed makes is really difficult to see a situation in which one body unilaterally decides to give up it's revenue for the benefit of another.

The calendar is creaking.

• Like 2

If the players were tested on a Monday and were found positive on a Wednesday.  You would have to think they showed no symptoms.  Likewise the others that tested positive with the 2nd round of tests.

I am hopeful the players and staff will be OK but then I am no doctor.

7 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Why would UEFA cancel their tournaments (for which they earn hundreds of millions in TV revenues) to enable the league tournaments (for which they earn next to nothing) to continue?

The way that football is governed and the money distributed makes is really difficult to see a situation in which one body unilaterally decides to give up it's revenue for the benefit of another.

The calendar is creaking.

The same reason they postponed the tournament last summer.

I work in the aviation sector. It is highly, highly unlikely that international travel will be back to any semblance of normality in the summer. An international tournament without fans and frought with Covid peril due to the amount of travel involved is of little commercial benefit to UEFA.

As I said there are multiple permutations that will be considered before anyone goes canceling top flight domestic leagues. Your assertion that cancellation is a close thing is simply untrue.

Edited by est1874

11 minutes ago, est1874 said:

The same reason they postponed the tournament last summer.

I work in the aviation sector. It is highly, highly unlikely that international travel will be back to any semblance of normality in the summer. An international tournament without fans and frought with Covid peril due to the amount of travel involved is of little commercial benefit to UEFA.

As I said there are multiple permutations that will be considered before anyone goes canceling top flight domestic leagues. Your assertion that cancellation is a close thing is simply untrue.

No fans will be the  obvious way to go!

14 minutes ago, est1874 said:

It's a matter of practicality - Spurs potentially have 41 games to get through - they can't do that in a hundred days. 

I'm not talking about governing bodies electing to cancel on the basis of safety, health or pretty much any other consideration, time is the factor that's pushing them into corners.

As much as some say they don't care about the FA Cup and to just play a U23 team, if we do that it could be a record defeat tomorrow, our U23s conceded eight goals to Sunderland earlier this season, and we might be even weaker tomorrow given we can't rule out the possibility that some of the academy players might also have to miss the game.

Us having to recall Jake Walker from his loan at Alvachurch isn't a good sign.

Edited by useless
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Game is on BT so it seems thats why the game will go ahead compared to Shrewsbury vs Southampton

No, as mentioned before, Shrewsbury dont have enough fit players on their books to field a side. The fact that it may still get cancelled/forfeited is a risk they've had no choice but to take.

5 minutes ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

Do we know anything about who the players and the members of staff that have tested positive are? 

no the clubs arent allowed to mention them either for privacy reasons unless agreed with the player

Edited by Zatman
  • Like 1

Â