Covid outbreak Jan 2021

NurembergVillan

4 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

A quick look on Spurs forums and they're of a mind that if we can put out a team of kids for Liverpool we should put out a team of kids for the game against them too.

From their perspective, we're giving them a problem that isn't their fault.

I don't think it'll work out that way, the Premier league have established a precedent and I think we will end up postponing and giving Spurs that fixture problem.

Thats what i was saying 😉

Spurs can be thanking their lucky stars it didn’t happen to them given the behaviour of their players over Christmas. They absolutely don’t get to take the moral high ground.

Tonight’s fixture will go ahead of it can because there will be no space to rearrange FA cup fixtures and we will want the tv money. I would fully expect us to be treated the same as Newcastle and Man City by the PL and the Spurs game postponed, not sure about Everton. 

• Like 2

The disease is that infectious, it doesn't matter what protocols you put in place. 

Australia has probably been one of the best at handling it and we're back in lock down as of 6pm tonight. Haven't been in lockdown since late June. New strain was brought in from overseas, masks are mandatory in public.

Just shows we have no control over it even with best intentions with what the clubs have been doing in their bubbles.

• Like 2

Rumours that we’re recalling a RB from loan at alvechurch in order to play, the likes of Kesler can’t because he trained with the first team

if we can’t play a full strength under 23 team then forfeit, Liverpool are too good for us to be playing 3rd or 4th choice academy players, can understand wanting to play but a tonking does us no favours

I'm a bit worried the PL will see us putting a team out for a cup game and expect the same for PL games

I know they're different competitions and there is precedent for league games to be cancelled but the schedule is getting increasingly tight. At some point they're going  to have to start enforcing their original rules unless the season is delayed in totality.

7 minutes ago, slowandlow said:

I'm a bit worried the PL will see us putting a team out for a cup game and expect the same for PL games

I know they're different competitions and there is precedent for league games to be cancelled but the schedule is getting increasingly tight. At some point they're going  to have to start enforcing their original rules unless the season is delayed in totality.

I'm not worried about this. The fa cup has it written into its rules that you have to fill a team from your under 18 and under 23s squads. 

The premier league makes you register a squad of 25 before the season starts and we have many precedents set in this competition around cancellations. 

I could see us fielding a weakened squad but the only way we play kids is if we choose to.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, One For The Road said:

At least I no.longer have to wake up at 4am to watch the game. 

Not a chance I'm doing that to watch us lose by a cricket score to Liverpool as they exact their revenge for the 7-2.

Our best season in yonks, now under threat of collapse due to covid.

Out of the FA Cup at the first hurdle yet again and now we face our toughest run of games with players who conceded 8 goals to a league 1 side.

I can see this season not even finishing.

Absolutely gutted.

Bit OTT no?

Liverpool we’re always going to play their kids anyway, and while likely better then our very young and inexperienced U23 side I’m sure we’ll give a good account of ourselves.

As for the rest of the season, we’ll have 1 or maybe 2 fixtures postponed and then everyone will be back healthy (we have to hope at least) and we’ll carry on. We actually won’t have such a horrendous run of fixtures because we’ll miss Spurs and should get the Newcastle game played in January instead.

The biggest worry is potential long term affects, not a couple of matches being delayed.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, slowandlow said:

I imagine this is forming part of the thinking and decision making of Villa. We will also be talking to the Premier League about our options. We aren’t going to want to shoot ourselves in the foot in the league. 

We would want reassurances from the league that we aren’t going to have to play, and that we get the same treatment City, Fulham and NUFC got in postponing league games. 

I understand postponing the cup isn’t really an option, due to the format, but the league should absolutely be postponed if we’re still in a pickle Wednesday. 

21 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

while likely better then our very young and inexperienced U23 side I’m sure we’ll give a good account of ourselves.

Really? Like the good account our youngsters gave at under strength League 1 Sunderland? 8-2 was it?

Our young players simply aren't anywhere near Liverpool in terms of ability and will get an absolute pasting.

Really gutted about this. We are far better to just forfeit the game now, rather than the embarrassment of playing the game.

Edited by One For The Road

18 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Bit OTT no?

Liverpool we’re always going to play their kids anyway, and while likely better then our very young and inexperienced U23 side I’m sure we’ll give a good account of ourselves.

As for the rest of the season, we’ll have 1 or maybe 2 fixtures postponed and then everyone will be back healthy (we have to hope at least) and we’ll carry on. We actually won’t have such a horrendous run of fixtures because we’ll miss Spurs and should get the Newcastle game played in January instead.

The biggest worry is potential long term affects, not a couple of matches being delayed.

Liverpool weren't going to play their kids I wouldn't have thought. They won't play their first team but there's plenty of players like Shaqiri, Origi, Milner etc. who don't get regular minutes who I'd have thought would be starters for this. It's going to be like the Carabao Cup game last season where we fielded a second string team but could still win 5-0. Given the riches Liverpool have sat on the bench every week if our under 23s and under 18s can keep this below a double figure scoreline it would be pretty impressive. 

• Like 1

In a strange way it might, assuming first and foremost that everyone is healthy of course, even turn out to be a blessing in disguise that we have an outbreak now, rather than later.

It breaks up our difficult run, and if the Euros don’t get cancelled, there’s going to be a point when the PL simply can’t reschedule any more fixtures. Unfortunately we’ll probably be out of the FA cup but even that might be advantageous in the long run - no more extra matches and the chance to reschedule the Newcastle match on 4th round weekend. 

Edited by fightoffyour
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

Really? Like the good account our youngsters gave at under strength League 1 Sunderland? 8-2 was it?

Our young players simply aren't anywhere near Liverpool in terms of ability and will get an absolute pasting.

Really gutted about this. We are far better to just forfeit the game now, rather than the embarrassment of playing the game.

A good account as in not disgraced and some valuable experience.

4 minutes ago, tom_avfc said:

Liverpool weren't going to play their kids I wouldn't have thought. They won't play their first team but there's plenty of players like Shaqiri, Origi, Milner etc. who don't get regular minutes who I'd have thought would be starters for this. It's going to be like the Carabao Cup game last season where we fielded a second string team but could still win 5-0. Given the riches Liverpool have sat on the bench every week if our under 23s and under 18s can keep this below a double figure scoreline it would be pretty impressive. 

Like the Carabao cup game is exactly why I think Liverpool would’ve played their kids. They have an injury crisis themselves, they need Shaqiri and Milner for their PL squad, not getting injured in a cup match.

Yeah I’m expecting our youths to get smashed by whatever team Liverpool put out. It is what it is though, it’ll be expected and I’m sure they’ll survive it. 

It’s disappointing but more so that we might have to postpone the Spurs and Everton games. But even that doesn’t really matter, the main thing is we hope the staff and players are okay and don’t end up ill. Covid can do real damage to even fit and healthy people.

7 minutes ago, Rodders said:

nah it will, but, april and may will just be mental

All it takes is another outbreak in another club for the league to become impossible to finish especially with Euros. Can’t keep rescheduling. Something will have to give. Having another international break in between all this is also ridiculous. 

• Like 3

Â