Covid outbreak Jan 2021

NurembergVillan

1 minute ago, wilko154 said:

I'm about 99% sure the Euro's are going to be cancelled.

There's no way all of the leagues around the world will finish in time for them; plus the logistics and potential spread with a global tournament would just be ridiculous before the vaccine has been circulated.

Good.

International football is one big snoozefest.

Scrap it and focus on finishing club football. Everyone's happy

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

The problem isn't just them, if they can only get a game in on a Monday after playing on a Saturday and that game is against us, we'd also need to play Saturday and Monday.

Think that will have to happen at some point if that game goes next week. We did it all of 10 days ago and two games in 48 hours is always part of xmas schedule and used to happen during Easter aswell.

It's not ideal but nothing in current day to day life is ideal either.

• Like 2

Obviously I hope any players and staff are OK and can get well again soon.

It's bad news for the scheduling of games, Man City, Spurs are two I know who already are likely to be playing four games a week on average.

Other worrying news is the fact that some of the first team players from Newcastle such as Saint Maximim are still suffering weeks after their initial outbreak. Which means even if some players recover quickly others may not.

Big Sam was probably right about a circuit-breaker, many of us were probably right about thinking Project Restart was too soon. In the light of the current situation and the numbers of people dying and infected every day football is really not important. It was a nice distraction whilst it lasted but surely it's done now?!

• Like 3

Just now, OutByEaster? said:

And the European finals happen in between. There's no room on the calendar to extend the season.

Ah I forgot about the European finals. I looked up the FA cup final as thats usually the last game of the season in England. This year the FA cup final is on the 8th May I think.

Shrewsbury game against Saints looks to be postponed I think so looks like our game  liverpool will probably be postponed too. 

11 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

Will be interesting to see what happens. Hopefully our players recover fast and it doesn't **** up their lungs. 

I'm more interested in the spurs game on Wednesday, 6 days away. We're going to have a crazy end of the season - we are already 2 games behind some teams. Imagine us being 3 or 4 games behind! and only 4 months to play 23 games. 

All the international games were so pointless. Should of got the season played with no interruptions and played the national games before the Euros. 

I'm also looking to the City game the week after. Neither of them have really any space to reschedule games depending on how far they go in Europe

3 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

I'm about 99% sure the Euro's are going to be cancelled.

There's no way all of the leagues around the world will finish in time for them; plus the logistics and potential spread with a global tournament would just be ridiculous before the vaccine has been circulated.

Don't see the euros being cancelled, just slimmed down from the ridiculous 12 city idea to 3-4 cities and sports teams in bubbles.

Wouldn't shock me either if any player selected was given the vaccine as they were talking about that for Olympics. Optics on that wouldn't be great at all but it would be mid to late May by that stage so hopefully large percentage of country will have immunity by then.

5 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Screw it.

Man U have started much too well in the league for my liking and we are unlikely to finish in the top 6 anyways.

Null and void it

Who the f*** cares about Man Yanited?

• Like 1

How about both teams to Play an u23 squad with x amount of over 23’s... It seems to be the best compromise IMO to ensure the fixture can go ahead. The integrity of the FA Cup ended when Man Utd were pressurised to withdraw. This is all dependent on who has it among the staff and players. Liverpool and the FA agreeing to it... Or we forfeit but that doesn’t feel right as we stand now.

11 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I remember quite a few people on here giving Newcastle stick for postponing our game.

I wonder if these people feels the same and that we should just get on with it against Spurs if we have several first team players out.

Originally FIFA said if there were fourteen fit players games should go ahead, I think people were taking umbridge that the PL changed the rules.

Now the PL has set a precedent it does not matter what we think as they will surely have to postpone any matches who have teams affected by Covid-19.

Edited by Zhan_Zhuang
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

It was a matter of time I guess.

How many more international breaks are there this season?  They need to be cancelled immediately to deal with the fixture backlog.

Late March there's one.

3 World cup qualifiers but given that isn't happening until November 2022 surely you could just extend into 2022 season if you had to.

There really needs to be some strategice thinking but given all bodies are just interested in protecting TV deals nothing sensible will happen as last 12 months have shown.

5 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

Ah I forgot about the European finals. I looked up the FA cup final as thats usually the last game of the season in England. This year the FA cup final is on the 8th May I think.

Shrewsbury game against Saints looks to be postponed I think so looks like our game  liverpool will probably be postponed too. 

Shrewsbury don't have enough players to fulfill the fixture. We might, but we don't know yet.

8 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

It wasn't giving Newcastle stick, it was giving the FA stick because it's blatantly obvious that fitting in rescheduled fixtures is going to be complete nightmare. This is especially apparent with Spurs, and particularly if they go far in the FA Cup and the Europa League.

If the Newcastle game hadn't been suspended, and we have 14 available players as per the rules that were established in the beginning, then yes I'd be saying we have to play the fixture. But the FA have made their bed now by postponing the Newcastle match, so we must be given the same treatment in the interests of fairness. Fitting the matches in isn't our problem anymore, it's theirs.

Plenty were giving Newcastle stick, saying their safety procedures at training ground weren't good enough or players had gone on the lash during international break to bring covid into the building.

Ultimately all the virus has shown in last 12 months is you can pick it up doing very little contact with outside world and it's then a bugger to shift.

Edited by VillaChris

16 minutes ago, est1874 said:

I feel terrible for them.

It wasn’t to highlight how bad things are for them. It was to highlight how little room there is to rearrange fixtures with teams. 

One of our fixtures to be squeezed in is Man City and one is Liverpool who are both likely to have more matches than us to squeeze in

7 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

The FA have said they'll meet next week and decide what to do with the fixture - whether it'll be a forfeit or a reschedule.

Â