Ratings & Reactions: Man United v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

220 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/01/21 at 23:59

1 minute ago, osmark86 said:

in all honestly that was a bit stupid by Luiz. even hinting at giving united a pen is never a good idea. they'll get it any day of the week.

He went down softly but it was a stupid position to put us in. Jack will get his fair share of those. 

I think not having an option off the bench has cost us tonight. Maybe Barkley would have made the difference.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, gilbertoAVFC said:

Sorry, but was that not handball at the end by Maguire?? Not even checked. Won't be mentioned.

Actually that’s a great point! Man U got a penalty after the game against Brighton for a handball after the game, we should’ve been given one there!

1 minute ago, LondonLax said:

Luiz clips Pogba’s leg and knocks it into his other leg where he trips and falls. It was as soft as you’ll likely see but because it was Manchester United I can see why VAR didn’t overrule it. 

FTFY

Just the depth of squad that's the difference. First eleven was pretty evenly matched tonight. We bring on Ramsey and Keinen Davis, they bring on likes of Matic. They are also able to rotate and could see we were slightly tired towards the end. Well played Villa though, proud of them. We were Pogba tripping himself over away from a decent point.

• Like 1

Just now, cheltenham_villa said:

He went down softly but it was a stupid position to put us in. Jack will get his fair share of those. 

I think not having an option off the bench has cost us tonight. Maybe Barkley would have made the difference.

yup, it's frustrating and Luiz really should have been much more careful there.

Barkley likely would have made all the difference, really is a shame he wasn't available tonight.

Just now, StefanAVFC said:

Play against United, there's more than a 50% chance they're getting a pen. It's just a joke.

It’s maddening. Truly. I really hate that club. 

Played against 12 men there. Think the penalty was actually a pen (but very soft) but the ref just let them play their obvious tactic of going through our midfielders the moment they got the ball. No yellows until late in the game when ref knew they wouldn’t lead to a headline.

Having said all that, we were very poor on attacking set pieces, and if we want to nick points against top sides, we need more of a set piece threat.

Martinez was outstanding. McGinn also brilliant.

We need Barkley back.

• Like 1

Just because there's contact does not mean it's a foul. Pogba was stretching his arm across Luiz. At best a 50/50 foul. He trips himself, forcing him to ground. I've watched it multiple times over. Luiz is not at fault. We should't just accept that it was because United get so many penalties.

1 minute ago, StefanAVFC said:

Play against United, there's more than a 50% chance they're getting a pen. It's just a joke.

Referees are probably overly respectful of the Man U shirt but it’s also the style of football they play. They play a fast counterattack with small forwards who have close ball control. It’s a bit like Grealish, that style of play invites a foul. 

8 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Clip of that Maguire hand ball. I'm even more mad.

My only question to that is, why didn't any of the Villa players protest? FFS our opponents win half of their penalties (and sending offs) purely by harassing the referee until they're given.

We need to be cannier and show a bit of **** guile.

Referees are probably overly respectful of the Man U shirt but it’s also the style of football they play. They play a fast counterattack with small forwards who have close ball control. It’s a bit like Grealish, that style of play invites a foul. 

Many other teams play in a similar style and have similar players, and have nowhere near as many pens. It's fishy as ****.

Why don't we get a penalty every other game then? Grealish gets challenges in the box but doesn't dive.

Â