Ratings & Reactions: Man United v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

220 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/01/21 at 23:59

3 minutes ago, kiltorken said:

Or in other words pogbas trailing leg hit Luizis leg. What's your point? 

Not trying to be argumentitive but Luiz had more legitimate claim for a foul than that word removed 

It looks like Luiz right leg moves sideways into Pogba trailing leg which causes him to trip himself. Penalty

We'll no doubt have similar incident down the line and not get penalty and yes I think Varchester United get way more borderline calls than other teams

Edited by Kiwivillan
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, gurru991 said:

I feel Man U get the edge in most of the calls.

You're not, they do. 

There might be an "All Blacks" effect. New Zealand are always the best team in rugby so people, including referees, expect that they will win. Sub consciously refs give them more decisions as a result of this bias. It could be the same with united, they are the biggest club, the  most successful and the bias towards them when it comes to refereeing decisions over the years is unarguable. They get the decisions because they are the big boys. 

Edited by villa89
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, roonst83 said:

“Think Pogba kicks the back of Luiz’s leg and trips himself up so that’s a penalty for me”

Darren Bent.

🤷🏻‍♂️

I couldn’t believe it when he said that completely seriously and am surprised not many people have picked up on it, it was ridiculous. Obviously Andy Cole agreed with him. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, kiltorken said:

Or in other words pogbas trailing leg hit Luizis leg. What's your point? 

Not trying to be argumentitive but Luiz had more legitimate claim for a foul than that word removed 

Pogba had his arm straight across Douglas’ face. Pogba couldn’t wait to hit the floor and the ref was blowing up before his knees were dirty. Overall a great performance against an inform team with a massive, expensively assembled squad who shouldn’t need any help from the officials but got it anyway. 

I’m proud, frustrated and excited for the future in equal measures. UTV. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

Pundits are complicit in this. Haven't seen anybody call this out. Game is bent beyond recognition.

Of course, it's why SKY were involved in the Grealish to Manure business and still reference it even tonight during the game.

They want him playing for Manure just as much as their fans and they want Liverplop and Manure back up top fighting it out again.

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Dean Smith was spot on what he said....there were things we could have done better, despite us giving them a game.

We’re probably not a top four side and yet we’ve just given Man U a very tough game and we all know what we did to Liverpool. On our day we are excellent, we lack some consistency because our squad lacks depth. That will take time to build up through acquisitions and organically from within.

I’m currently reading Ticket to the Moon by Richard Sydenham that chronicles our journey through the 70s and 80s, it’s a great read. In it Saunders is quoted as saying that it takes three seasons for a team to settle into a new league. I wouldn’t argue with him but we’re on the right side of the learning curve. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

Old Trafford.  

A freakish undeserved goal for them, a good deserved equiliser for us. 

A softest of soft penalties for them. 

Persistent unpunished fouling for them all game until it's too late for it to affect the game. 

NEXT.

Well they did get 4 bookings cf our none so it seems hard to argue it was “unpunished”.

Not sure the penalty was that soft. Just thought D L showed surprising naïveté in laying hands on Pogba in the penalty area. That usually leads to a penalty, FFS, doesn’t he watch match of the day ?

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

I couldn’t believe it when he said that completely seriously and am surprised not many people have picked up on it, it was ridiculous. Obviously Andy Cole agreed with him. 

I heard Bent say that and couldn't believe it. I thought he was going to say that Pogba tripped himself up so, therefore, it wasn't a penalty! Talk about contradicting himself. Unbelievable. 

1) McTominay (5 fouls, no booking)

2) Luke Shaw (4 fouls, yellow card)

3) Pogba (3 fouls, no booking)

4) Fernandes (3 fouls, no booking)

5) Matic (3 fouls, yellow card, despite coming on in the 64th minute)

Stolen from @The_Steve

Matic could have had 2 yellows, due to the severity/cynical nature of his fouls. How McTominay didn't get booked is mad. Also Watkins was fouled a tonne and it wasn't given.

• Like 3

We played ok today, but there were more than a few passengers for me.  

The penalty, if that was Grealish instead of Pogba i'd want a pen, so i can accept it.

Martinez - 8 - despite conceding 2, neither of which he had a chance with, he was prob our best player and made 3 or 4 top saves

Cash - 7 - great going forward, hit and miss defensively, though not helped by Traore (more on that later). Think he would be better wide right with a more defensively solid rb behind him.

Targett - 6 - poor defensively often failing to track his runner. Ok going forward but his final ball was often lacking

Mings - 6 - I honestly don't see why this guy is getting picked for England.  Often out of position, lots of misplaced passes and his decision making is poor. Think the defence looked better without him.

Konsa - 6 - marginally better than Mings, but at least Konsa is young and improving.  Not his best day.

El Ghazi - 6 - huffed and puffed but was back to his usual wasteful self today.  Ok squad player but he needs to not be starting.

McGinn - 7 - started very badly first 10 mins.  Then was really good for about 40 mins, then he disappeared for a while.  Frustrating, think he was tired.

Luiz - 7 - similar to mcginn came in and out of the game too much.  Though he gave the penalty away, it was soft so i havent penalised him.

Grealish - 8 - not his best gave and we saw his petulant side too often, but also 4 or 5 brilliant moments deserving of better finishing.

Traore - 5 - he scored a goal, and took it well.  Outside of that he was an outright calamity.  Players run past and he stands and watches.  The lad was a full on liability today and needs dropping. Unacceptable

Watkins - 6 - should have 2 or 3 goals today.  Poor finishing cost us as he was at the heart of it.  He has moments but i really don't think he's good enough.  Certainly not the player i thought we were getting

Ramsey - 5 - i don't see the fuss about this lad.  Too weak on the ball and does little off it.  Clearly the coaches see something...

Davis - 5 - might have won us the game with his 2 chances.  I want him to be a success, and he does cause problems and create spaces, but his finishing is poor.  I just can't see him making it.

Smith - 6 - slow out the blocks AGAIN, set us up well to be fair, but his pre match chats seem to put the players to sleep.  Changes were too few too late AGAIN, it feels like if plan a fails, theres no plan b so he just draws straws to see what to do.  Unconvinced.

For me, much work needed in this transfer window.  A cb, 2 wide players and a striker still required along with a defensive midfielder.  Our squad is paper thin and with such a condensed season we are going to fade without new blood.

• Like 2

I like the idea of VAR, exactly because it gives situations like the horrendous penalty decision in this game a chance to be rectified. Then, stuff like this happens.

**** you, Premier League.

• Like 2

Bloody seething still. I was okay after the game but Twitter United fans got me raging. 

Don’t want to rest on our laurels but United are the same as us with Bruno and Grealish. Without Jack we are bang average and United aren’t top 4 themselves without him. 

Just looked at the Michael Oliver thread on Red Cafe and my mind is blown, I didn’t think it was possible to be that delusional.

Apparently apart from the penalty he gave us everything 🤣 

Shows how used to incredibly biased officiating they are when not only can they not acknowledge how in their favour it was but to actually believe they are somehow being victimised. Unbelievable.

• Like 1

Joke of a pen. Pogba clips back of Luiz calf (initiates contact) then as a result trips himself up. Don't understand why he doesn't want to look at the monitor but was happy to go over and overturn trez pen.

So many lack of yellow cards as well and missed handball on Maguire at the end. Too hard to get results from these games with such bias and then if you go to call out the refs for being terrible like Nuno did you get a fine.

Absolute joke

I thought we were great.  I was so smiling that we comfortably went toe toe I'm consecutive games with Chelsea and Man United and feel robbed in both games. Never a penalty in a million years but of course Old Trafford so naturally a given. But wow how much has this team, this squad even moved forward that we come away feeling agreived from that? I'm so proud of this group of players and backgroom staff after that performance. Never once looked out of place but for a dodgy decision could have and should had more.

• Like 1

Loss due to Mings defensive error,  and an soft af penalty.  Depressingly predictable. However we did enough beyond that to win the game on another day. Bit worried that watkins is turning into a more expensive Davis. Hopefully he comes good sooner rather than later

• Like 2

Â