Ratings & Reactions: Man United v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

220 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/01/21 at 23:59

Foul stats from WhoScored.

1) McTominay (5 fouls, no booking)

2) Luke Shaw (4 fouls, yellow card)

3) Pogba (3 fouls, no booking)

4) Fernandes (3 fouls, no booking)

5) Matic (3 fouls, yellow card, despite coming on in the 64th minute)

None of this, of course, includes all the fouls they got away with. They kicked lumps today at got away with a lot.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Foul stats from WhoScored.

1) McTominay (5 fouls, no booking)

2) Luke Shaw (4 fouls, yellow card)

3) Pogba (3 fouls, no booking)

4) Fernandes (3 fouls, no booking)

5) Matic (3 fouls, yellow card, despite coming on in the 64th minute)

None of this, of course, includes all the fouls they got away with. They kicked lumps today at got away with a lot.

That was the biggest issue for me. He let the game flow in United's favour, allowing them to pick up momentum and killing ours whenever we tried to get going. He was calling fouls for us for challenges that he wasn't for United which tipped the game in their favour. So annoying.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Don't think any referee is ever 'in on it'. Accusing an official of outright corruption is a pretty serious accusation.

He's just a **** stupid twunt who, like every PGMOL twunt and the Sky bastards to boot, believes certain teams have a divine right to a penalty every time one of their players goes down.

Normally, I would agree.

But, cast your mind back to last season with our game against Crystal Palace. Kevin Friend, devout Leicester fan, hands out cards to our players like candy, gives CP numerous free kicks while we are in possession breaking up our attack, and then, the cherry on the cake that last 5 minutes, the Lansbury goal. Instead of awarding the goal, he gives a yellow to Grealish for simulation and a free kick to Palace. Friend has not officiated a  Villa game for over a year now, kind of the way the best referee in England can't control our games because he is a Villa fan. This, to me, is an example of referee corruption, that goes beyond thinking he is just thick, and I will happily call it out as such, regardless how serious as an allegation it is.

If you consider the stats for Man U and penalties, it seemed to be scripted that they were going to get a soft penalty, as in the pre match thread, many of us had anticipated it. To say Oliver is just f###ing stupid would be the very least you could say. Corrupt? Maybe going too far, but not to be ruled out.

This is in a very minute sliver of games in which the officiating has been very poor. Most times, like Stuart Attwell for this season's Palace game for example really are just inept and thick as pig shit. 

As for Friend, I will readily call him out for match corruption.  As for Oliver, you could be right, and probably are, but there are some grounds to consider otherwise.

3 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Watched the slow mo replay of penalty and Luiz leg moves sideways into Pogba trailing leg and causes him to trip himself so soft but can accept is penalty

Pogba brushes his leg against Luiz. He's got his hand in his face.

2 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Watched the slow mo replay of penalty and Luiz leg moves sideways into Pogba trailing leg and causes him to trip himself so soft but can accept is penalty

I've also rewatched the replays and for me Pogba has already decided he's gonna dive for a pen and just let's his legs go once he felt Douglas. 

40 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

Who?

No but seriously, an unproven academy graduate wasn't going to change that game. Not blaming Smith for that one. He needs to be backed to improve our bench if we are going to achieve a midtable finish.

Fail to bring in reinforcements in Jan and we will easily avoid the drop but definitely bottom half. That 1st 11 can't play every game at 100%.

Why can’t we show more patience? He may be an academy graduate now but in18 months time he could be an England player the coaching staff work with him daily and have more knowledge than we  do of his ability. Why do we have to have to be the finished article now, if we want to have a serious presence in the premier league it takes time 

We're very unlucky not to come away with at least a point from that. I thought we were excellent, although not for the first time this season we failed to be clinical and it's cost us. hugely encouraging signs all over the pitch though.

Regarding the ref, I actually think it was a penalty. It's unfortunate for Luiz, but it's a pen. Surprised the ref wasn't asked to take a look at it but don't think it would have been overturned anyway.

My issue was the ref was the lack of bookings. Matic got booked eventually but he was kicking anything that moved from the minute he came on. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, darrenm said:

Dougie isn't happy

‎I see this video I can not believe that this was penalty, I always root for fairer football, with fewer mistakes, but then I stop and see these types of throws. If we have the VAR to help, LET's start using CORRECTLY, these mistakes can define the future of clubs!‎

Translation...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

It wasn't a penalty. 

Overall it was another great performance that shows we are a top ten team. Our issue is that we only have 11 players so we cant make subs to change a game or add any energy. When we finish 8th/9th/10th we will all look back at a successful season. Then hopefully a few additions in the summer. 

• Like 2

It was a very predictble run of events which led to them winning. That's all i will waste my time on saying about it. 

We were shoddy i felt in the first half, giving the ball away far too easily & cheaply with Traore, Elghazi & McGinn the worst culprits as they repeatedly gave possession away meekly which invited pressure. So the first half was one to forget for us and against a better team we may have come in 2 or 3 down.

Second half we were a lot better but our finishing was woeful. Awful performance i felt from Watkins too who just seems to lack Pzazz in front of goal on most occasions. He is a handful but seems to miss making that lung bursting run to get past his marker or that killer finish, that Liverpool game aside. He needs to improve in front of goal to match his all round effort. 

So the Premier League have the result they craved to push the "Liverpool neck & neck with Utd" soundbites as they will do, and were even before a ball was kicked.

The constant fouling by their players on Grealish etc which went unpunished? Well that's just another way to tinker with results of course. We saw the polar opposite of that when we played them in the cup final a few years ago when Vidic should have seen red but Phil Dowd didn't give it and yet everytime one of our players fouled them he got a yellow card whilst for identical tackles on our players no Utd players were carded. We ended up with our entire defence on Yellows and unable to challenge allowing them to take over the game.... It was so blatant it was embarrassing.

As for the complete ignoring of the Handball at the end tonight well it's just more evidence of the depths to which they'll sink. A lot of us can see this but nobody with influence will say it out loud especailly punters as it no doubt goes against their breif and would likely see them lose work as it would massively affect viewing figures and could seriously harm the game... so it's kind of swept under the carpet instead and smoothed over with blarney as we heard from Darren Bent with his "He catches Luiz's leg and trips himself up so it's clearly a penalty for me" comment.... I mean Huh?!

We are a good team now though, just a shame we didn't turn up in the first half... That we could have controlled.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Talk to Luiz about it:

Translated:

I see this video, I can't believe it was a penalty, I always support fairer football, with fewer mistakes, but then I stop and see these types of moves.
If we have VAR to help, LET'S start using it CORRECTLY, these mistakes can define the future of clubs!

20 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Or in other words pogbas trailing leg hit Luizis leg. What's your point? 

Not trying to be argumentitive but Luiz had more legitimate claim for a foul than that word removed 

Â