Ross Barkley

LondonLax

On 10/11/2020 at 15:38, NurembergVillan said:

I think you make a great argument.

Something from the data that interests me is that the most defensive "work" is done out wide.  Jack, Trez, Targett and Cash are our top 4.

Are we encouraging teams to attack our flanks (as we did with Liverpool, one wing at a time) leaving the centre and opposite wing open for the counter?

We can look at Barkley as being bottom of the list, but from a numbers perspective he's not that different than Konsa.  Is his role more about cutting passing lanes than getting right on top of the man in possession?

What stuck out for me was an interview Deano did after the Liverpool game, he effectively said "we funnelled them down one side" (towards Cash/Trez obviously - as that where most of their attacks went), so i think its fairly certain that part of our game plan is playing compact and trying to funnel teams to play down one side or the other.

I think the reason Cash/Trez are so high on the tackles/interceptions (aside from their obvious general work rate), is that we seem to try to actively funnel teams down that right hand side towards our most highly mobile and hard working players (Cash/Trez).

It makes sense tbh.

Not saying i see this all the time, but a few times i have noticed when we press, we press high on our left wing and central side, leaving passing lanes down our right (or at least the appearance of an easier lane down our right), which effectively has the effect of trying to funnel play towards our right side, interesting when you think about it.

A few times i have seen a RB have the ball for the opposition, then Grealish and McGinn press slightly towards our left, with Targett high on the left (defensively) and Watkins pressing central, whilst this happens the oppositions left opens up a little and trez is tucked in lower down the pitch on our right with cash, almost inviting them to go in that direction.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 13/11/2020 at 11:34, villalad21 said:

I think we need to at least get into the top 6 if having a chance to keep him.

Not sure about that, I think it's more about whether we want to pay the fee Chelsea will want for him. I can see them demanding in the region of 40m for him and whilst he's obviously a very good player, our management team need to consider whether that's value for money or if they back themselves to find a player of similar quality elsewhere for cheaper.

I really hope we keep him. 

If he performs well for the whole season, we've had a great season and will be in a good position to buy a replacement. It's the cost of a loan, but the flip side we'll have had the benefit of a £50, 60m player playing for us for the price of his wages. 

However, if we have a great season and finish top 7, then there's a chance Ross will not want to risk going back to Chelsea anyway. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

I expected Lampard to come out with something like that. But I don't think it really changes our chances of getting Ross, or will even change Ross's mind about his future prospects at Chelsea.

It's not like we've suddenly taught Barkley a load of new tricks to improve his form. His good form is a consequence of being an important cog in a system that works well. If he has a bad game, he knows that he's probably not going to be dumped from the team. That's encouraging for a player, and results in a more relaxed Barkley on the pitch.

Does he really think that if he goes back to Chelsea (or another 'top 6' team), he'll be allowed quiet games without being replaced by one of their £40/50/60/70m players? Unlikely. It'll only take a few 'off' games for him to be dumped back onto the bench, having to prove himself in 30-minute spells again. That ultimately leads to a player trying too hard to impress, and essentially not being given the freedom (and time) to play their natural game. He'll go back to being the 60/70 minute sub that comes on and tries to fire some long range shots in, just to get back into the team.

If we continue to bounce around the top 8, then I think we have a realistic chance of keeping Barkley on a permanent. I could only really see us not getting him if 1) Chelsea price him out of a move, or 2) if we end up finishing in a poor position and a club in Europe, but below the 'top' clubs, comes in for him. (Like a Wolves/ Southampton etc etc, if they get a European place).

• Like 3

At the moment Ross is MILES away from the England team.  He's not going to The Euros. 

His only chance of getting back into the England team and go to the World Cup is to form a devastating club partnership with Grealish over the next 12 months. 

I hope he sees that. 

• Like 1

On 13/11/2020 at 11:12, Nigel said:

Id love to get this permanent deal done quickly.

Why does it have to be done quickly? If we have the option to buy him for a set price, which apparently we do, then it makes the most sense to wait until next summer before we commit to signing him. He could do a luc nilis.  

2 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Why does it have to be done quickly? If we have the option to buy him for a set price, which apparently we do,

Everything I have seen on this says there is no set price that its purely a one year loan.

I'd love to see your source on the contrary!

5 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

there's a way back to him being 3rd choice and getting some minutes off the bench in the cups

there is very little ross can do with us that will make him a better prospect than havertz and mount, they are stacked in his role, he wont be first choice there regardless of what he does this year with us

thats his grim reality of playing for a club like them, they went out and got one of the biggest prospects in world football for his position

Talk about Chelsea being interested in signing Jude Bellingham in January (£50m touted as price) if they can't get Wet Spam to lower the price for Rice. 

No idea if it's true and what it would mean for Barkley. Would be fun if we sniped up Bellingham thou :D 

38 minutes ago, sne said:

No idea if it's true and what it would mean for Barkley. Would be fun if we sniped up Bellingham thou :D 

lol. He’s a Bluenose through and through, he’s not coming to us even if we could swipe him up.

Edited by His Name Is Death

On 30/09/2020 at 11:11, TrentVilla said:

I was told loan with option to buy and Chelsea picking up a chunk of the wages. The info was spot on about us getting him so I’ve no reason to think they won’t be right on this part.

@Nigel: ^^^ Source.

Edited by villa89

20 minutes ago, His Name Is Death said:

lol. He’s a Bluenose through and through, he’s not coming to us even if we could swipe him up.

He was actually a Villa fan I believe, but is a blue due to playing for so long in their youth system. 

10 minutes ago, Rich192 said:

He was actually a Villa fan I believe, but is a blue due to playing for so long in their youth system. 

Otherwise known as "doing a Gardner"

4 hours ago, sidcow said:

At the moment Ross is MILES away from the England team.  He's not going to The Euros. 

His only chance of getting back into the England team and go to the World Cup is to form a devastating club partnership with Grealish over the next 12 months. 

I hope he sees that. 

He's actually played a fair bit for England since last world cup, was surprised at number of starts. Just last October he was scoring twice for England in Bulgaria. He's only dropped off the radar in last six months but don't think it's impossible he could make the squad although would probably mean an injury or two.

I'd like to think given we've already paid Chelsea 10m with the loan fee that would help securing a lower price than say if West Ham came in for him end of the season.

Â