Ross Barkley

LondonLax

2 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I rate him. Quality footballer, but I can't for my life understand why he is taking corners. Firstly he is one of our tallest players. Get him in the box. Secondly his corners are largely awful. 

I would like to see Targett taking the corners.

4 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Man he is a tep above hourihane and lansbury. U can see the quakity he possesses. He links up so well with grealish and watkins

On the piss my lord, on the piss ! 😂👍

10 hours ago, Rightdm00 said:

Jack and John both can hit a mean volley off a cleared header. John has already scored one like that and Jack should have had one yesterday. 

Cash could probably take them from the left but we use his pace to cover as last man. 

By the process of elimination Ross is the best choice. 

Targett, he took the corner from which we scored against Sheff. And barkley loves a long shot.

23 hours ago, neilski said:

He's fantastic when we are in possesion and/or attacking and i know people are going to disagree but i really do think he could put more effort in to pressing and trying to break up the play further up the pitch as grealish/watkins and trez do. Not just agsinst arsenal, against leeds and southampton he let players past him numerous times when he could of pressed them or even stuck a foot in, it certainly looked like he could get to them but just didnt🤷🏻‍♂️

agree.

He's a very good player, and when we are playing well he plays well, but he doesnt seem to like doing the leg work/dirty work that much.

Hopefully as his fitness builds he can get stuck in more and press better with the rest of the team, or if that isnt his style maybe deano can get him doing it?

Great signing for sure, but he would add a whole dimension to his game if he did the off the ball stuff like watkins and others do.

10 hours ago, ozvillafan said:

I'd leave Jack where he is. He's going to score another ridiculous volley from a corner. Perhaps Luiz to take the corners?

Whilst I agree with you in essence, with Konsa and mings in the box, we need Luiz providing defensive cover 

12 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

Not picking on your post as plenty of people have said the same.  Just using it as a reference point.

I can see what everyone's saying, but part of me is wondering if this is tactical.  Having everyone press is effective, but we've often found there's no out ball when we win it back.

Could it be that Ross' job is more about covering passing lanes and being available when we nick the ball?  He's strong enough to hold off the press, and skilful / visionary enough to to release our players as they break.

I get your point, and clearly a 3-0 win against arsenal will prove your point, but IMHO it’s a dangerous game to play.  We should either press as a team or not at all.  Having players chase the ball and be pulled out of position only for the opposition to have an out ball bypasses our attack and midfield leaving the defence to mop up.

A top top midfielder should be able to both press when the opposition have the ball, and find space to work the magic when we have it.

I was delighted with his performance, and I am only hypothesising how to improve us to another level, so I am being hypercritical purely from that viewpoint.

I don’t think it’s a coincidence that both times we’ve performed badly he has been particularly sub-par.  I appreciate that as the No.10 he has a particular role to play, but I’ve yet to see the defensive contribution that I’ve seen from the others. I may well be wrong, and I’m happy to be corrected, but I don’t recall any tackles or interceptions or blockages.

When his attacking play eclipses all else, then fine, but on the days he doesn’t perform going forwards, he has ended up looking like a passenger.

Again hypercritical, as I acknowledge that he has been a major reason for our huge improvement.

Whoscored stats below to back up my argument.

5D4D1CA4-F648-43A1-BC8F-3766BD332185.jpeg

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Thug said:

I get your point, and clearly a 3-0 win against arsenal will prove your point, but IMHO it’s a dangerous game to play.  We should either press as a team or not at all.  Having players chase the ball and be pulled out of position only for the opposition to have an out ball bypasses our attack and midfield leaving the defence to mop up.

A top top midfielder should be able to both press when the opposition have the ball, and find space to work the magic when we have it.

I was delighted with his performance, and I am only hypothesising how to improve us to another level, so I am being hypercritical purely from that viewpoint.

I don’t think it’s a coincidence that both times we’ve performed badly he has been particularly sub-par.  I appreciate that as the No.10 he has a particular role to play, but I’ve yet to see the defensive contribution that I’ve seen from the others. I may well be wrong, and I’m happy to be corrected, but I don’t recall any tackles or interceptions or blockages.

When his attacking play eclipses all else, then fine, but on the days he doesn’t perform going forwards, he has ended up looking like a passenger.

Again hypercritical, as I acknowledge that he has been a major reason for our huge improvement.

I think you make a great argument.

Something from the data that interests me is that the most defensive "work" is done out wide.  Jack, Trez, Targett and Cash are our top 4.

Are we encouraging teams to attack our flanks (as we did with Liverpool, one wing at a time) leaving the centre and opposite wing open for the counter?

We can look at Barkley as being bottom of the list, but from a numbers perspective he's not that different than Konsa.  Is his role more about cutting passing lanes than getting right on top of the man in possession?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Thug said:

I don't think your argument needs backing up....I think you are right.

I don't think you are nit picking either, its a valid observation.....maybe its something for us to work on, it is early days, but your point has merit.

However, when he is in this offensive mood, its marvellous to watch.....if Dean is to get him back in the England fold, he may have to do, what you are suggesting.

Edited by TRO

On 09/11/2020 at 17:32, Brumstopdogs said:

The technique and patience for the first goal.

The cushioned pass for the second goal.

He adds such a different dimension to our game and the way he and Jack combine is a thing of beauty!

Looks like he need a garter belt for those stockings

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

We have no issues whatsoever with unlocking teams who park the bus. 1st goal is a proof of that.

And that's a luxury most teams doesn't have.

I still can't quite believe that Arsenal's players just let Barkley and Grealish pass it around like that. Can you imagine their players of 20 years ago doing that? Ross and Jack probably would've had broken legs....

Edited by Villan_of_oz

7 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

I still can't quite believe that Arsenal's players just let Barkley and Grealish pass it around like that. Can you imagine their players of 20 years ago doing that? Ross and Jack probably would've had broken legs....

Arsenal and defending doesn't exactly go hand in hand.

But to be fair to Arteta they did have the best defensive record before the game.

Ross Barkley is finally finding his place – just as England don't need him anymore

By Richard Jolly an hour ago

Now at Aston Villa, Ross Barkley is one of the Premier League most creative players this season – but England's tactical change means he's no longer in Southgate's plans

•  
  •  
  • Some 30 players were named in England’s expanded squad to face the Republic of Ireland, Belgium and Iceland. One of the most creative players in this season’s Premier League was not among them, even though he was a catalytic figure when 2019 became England’s most productive year in front of goal since 1908.
  •  
  •  
  •  Some 30 players were named in England’s expanded squad to face the Republic of Ireland, Belgium and Iceland. One of the most creative players in this season’s Premier League was not among them, even though he was a catalytic figure when 2019 became England’s most productive year in front of goal since 1908.

Welcome to the contradictions of Ross Barkley. Perhaps his predicament has been camouflaged by the focus on Jack Grealish, the Aston Villa team-mate who was the architect-in-chief when, for the first time since 1953, the reigning champions conceded seven. Yet Barkley has scored to inflict defeats on two league leaders, in Liverpool and Leicester, while he highlighted what Arsenal lacked in Sunday’s 3-0 triumph at the Emirates Stadium.

Barkley has never really been about the numbers – indeed, it has prompted some criticism of him over the years – but he ranks second only to Kevin de Bruyne for key passes per game and shot-creating actions per 90 minutes this campaign. He stands ninth in divisional the chart for expected assists, sandwiched by De Bruyne and Bruno Fernandes, and ninth for shots per 90 minutes. A less scientific observation is that he is playing really well; perhaps as well as he did in his first flourish under Roberto Martinez at Everton; perhaps better than ever beforeAnd yet the paradox is that he has found arguably his finest form at a point when England have abolished his position in the team. Barkley was better for England than Chelsea in 2019; he is better again for Villa in 2020 but his role in the national team has been rendered redundant.  

There was a sense he had made it work. He scored four goals for his country last autumn. England showed a propensity to run riot, beating Bulgaria 4-0 and 6-0 and Kosovo 5-3 with Barkley and Kosovo 4-0 and Montenegro 7-0 without him.

And then, after an extended break, came Gareth Southgate’s systemic switch. The attacking midfielder in his 4-3-3 was sacrificed for the extra centre-back in a 3-4-3. It represented bad news for James Maddison, Dele Alli, Ruben Loftus-Cheek, Jesse Lingard and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain but, above all, for Barkley. Overlooking him last month, when the squad was selected before the 7-2 thrashing of Liverpool, had a certain logic; now, with proof of form, it seems there is simply no place without a change in shape.

Mason Mount and Phil Foden have been called up this autumn, partly aided by their ability to play as forwards, but come the stiffest tests, the solidity of Jordan Henderson and Declan Rice suggests they are the premier midfield pairing. Barkley may be neither one thing nor another, neither a central midfielder in a duo nor one of the front three.

He is no stranger to being in the wrong place at the wrong time; he was forever being substitute or substituted for Mateo Kovacic in Maurizio Sarri’s sterile Chelsea, invariably the target of Ronald Koeman’s criticisms, miscast as a loanee at Neil Warnock’s Leeds.

And yet the unfortunate element may be that this time, Barkley is in the right place: at club level, anyway. His alliance with Grealish and John McGinn feels a meeting of minds, a gathering of players with complementary skills. He may sense a kindred spirit in Grealish, another who has defied some categorisation, one of the relatively slender band of ball-carrying midfielders who can open games up with his running. 

There was a common denominator before they became team-mates. Each was a player Mauricio Pochettino had hoped to sign in his search for a successor to Mousa Dembele – Barkley in January 2018, Grealish in the subsequent summer – and each had some of the skillset to equip him for a formidable task. There was a time, too, when each seemed cases of unrealised potential. But while it is being fulfilled now, it may only be in the claret and blue of Villa

Clicky

• Like 1

Â