Ross Barkley

LondonLax

6 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Amazingly, he's only played seven full Premier League games for Chelsea in the past 3 years.

Both he and Jack Rodwell could have had much more productive and impressive careers had they not moved to Chelsea and Man City, respectively...

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, DJ_Villain said:

Both he and Jack Rodwell could have had much more productive and impressive careers had they not moved to Chelsea and Man City, respectively...

You could say the same with someone like Lansbury and Villa though. You have to back yourself to go break into a team and not everyone will do it. And Ross has, to my mind, not wasted too long there - a couple of years then off to find regular football. Roswell is a whole different kettle of fish.

Jack and Ross had a definitive chemistry and their interplay sometimes made it seem like they've played together for years already. I guess they knew each other from the national team, but still.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gompedyret said:

Jack and Ross had a definitive chemistry and their interplay sometimes made it seem like they've played together for years already. I guess they knew each other from the national team, but still.

I was thinking this.  Have they played a lot together in the England under 23s/21s?

I think he has changed the dynamic of the team. As much as I appreciate what Connor has done, he just cant run like Ross. The pressure taken off Jack, with Douglas, SJM and Ross, or as I am now calling them the Funboy three.

it ain't what they do it's the way that they do it,

and that's what gets results.

who do the opposition try to mark?

1 hour ago, colhint said:

I think he has changed the dynamic of the team. As much as I appreciate what Connor has done, he just cant run like Ross. The pressure taken off Jack, with Douglas, SJM and Ross, or as I am now calling them the Funboy three.

and that's what gets results.

who do the opposition try to mark?

Oh god, if that takes off people will think that the lunatics have taken over the asylum. 

13 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Funnily enough, when Barkley first broke through at Everton I remember thinking this was the next Gazza. Seemed to have the full package of dribbling ability,  passing range, and physical strength and speed.

Since then his career had dipped, and while I was sure this was a good signing (purely as an upgrade on Hourihane), I wasn't expecting it to be quite as inspired as it now looks.

The interplay between Grealish and Barkley will be filling up highlights reels all seasons. Throw in a bit of cheek from McGinn and Luiz, and we could be seeing some very, very sexy football at Villa Park.

As others have said, just having one extra creative player in there has a massive effect on how opposition teams defend against Jack. It will really allow him to prove how good he is on a consistent basis, and he will love linking up with Barkley around the box.

This is why it could completely revolutionise us, as it already seems it may have going on Liverpool. 

Jack has looked outstanding whilst being shackled.

When he can play a) with more space/less attention and b) someone else is also doing the same thing and c) Jack finally has someone on his level, combined with a tricky mobile forward it will be absolutely lethal.

It won't always be roses but I can see us giving more teams a serious spanking.  If you can put 7 past Liverpool the world is your bowl of lychees.

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Mantis said:

Amazingly, he's only played seven full Premier League games for Chelsea in the past 3 years.

Is that for real? If so it's staggering. 

If so he won't be desperate to get back there.  Hopefully we can get him hooked on Villa (as so many do) and the owners can sell him the same Vision as Jack to keep him permanently. 

28 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Is that for real? If so it's staggering. 

If so he won't be desperate to get back there.  Hopefully we can get him hooked on Villa (as so many do) and the owners can sell him the same Vision as Jack to keep him permanently. 

Yeah I think it's real. Maybe just league. He's had lots of appearances for Chelsea but rarely gets a whole 90 minutes

5 hours ago, Gompedyret said:

them 2 plus Watkins will cause hassle for many teams, movement of Watkins gave the other 2 so much space

Last season it was give it to Jack and hope for the best. This season with Barkley and Watkins it gives Jack a lot more freedom and it's less obvious that everything will go through him. Because now it can be Jack, Barkley, Watkins, McGinn or any combination of them. I thought on Sunday "Jack didn't really dominate the game like maybe some games last season. Maybe not the best game he's ever had". BUT once  I realised how stupid that thought was! I saw his stats and watched the highlights again, he actually had one of it not the most productive games he's ever had.

The reason for my initial thoughts was

1. shock at the magnitude of the scoreline

2. the performance of the team as a whole

BUT when you look back, because of Barkley and Watkins linking up with Jack as well as McGinn. It just blows my mind that Jack had such an incredible game, yet it wasn't glaringly obvious, because of the likes of Barkley and Watkins and what they contributed. The difference between Sunday and the West Ham game is insane. I know it's only one game but I think the Barkley signing is a bit like the Reina signing in January. Very astute and not a signing that will just add another piece of quality to the team. It'll bring out the best of what we already had.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

Jack has looked outstanding whilst being shackled.

Absolutely.

We still haven't seen his top level, we've just put some good players round him. 

He's had this in his locker for years.

Christ knows what he could do with Kane, Sancho and Sterling around him. Probably win us a world cup or something silly.

• Like 2

Â