Ross Barkley

LondonLax

1 minute ago, Folski said:

Harsh IMO.

Barkley physically is a different animal to Hourihane.

Also barkley plays cam hourihane as our b2b. I think he showed up mcginn more. I think hourihane would be much better in the cam position that b2b but barkley obviously a class above. Hourihane is useful to have off the bench though. Last season we very rarely had a creative player to put on off the bench in midfield and hourihane can do just that. 

The biggest difference between himself and Hourihane is his ability to attack space. Conor isn't comfortable when he's on the ball and will more often than not look to give it quickly despite been in a bit of space. Barkley is not afraid of the ball and is very aware of how much time he has on the ball.

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

I was critical because I thought he wouldnt be hungry or determined. Well Barkley shut me up after 2 minutes, he was incredible and him, Jack and Watkins is a scary trio

One thing that surprised me the most was his speed with the ball

Turned back the clock to his Everton days when he just used to bulldoze through midfields.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

Showed Hourihane up something rotten with that performance tonight. Did all the things Conor should have been doing but hasn't. 

I mean that’s not fair, he’s just a different level player. This is a guy who was a £40m player three years ago. It hasn’t quite worked out for him and even saying that he’s played 50 times for Chelsea and a couple of dozen times for England since then.

Conor came up through all the leagues and is a decent squad player for us but Barkley is as big a talent as you could ask for - it’s just if he can now maximise it.

• Like 2

Outstanding debut. That's everything we hoped and more. Strong box to box player and on the same wavelength as Jack from the off. Having that extra strength and legs in midfield will unleash Jack and means he won't have to drop too deep. Gives the team that balance we badly lacked. 

35 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I keep seeing " The difference between him and Hourihane is"

When in reality, the real difference is simply that he is a superior player in every way.

As much as we love Connor, it's the truth.

Right, it’s like knocking Trezeguet or Conor or someone by saying “the difference between him and Grealish is...”

2 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

The biggest difference between himself and Hourihane is his ability to attack space. Conor isn't comfortable when he's on the ball and will more often than not look to give it quickly despite been in a bit of space. Barkley is not afraid of the ball and is very aware of how much time he has on the ball.

I would say the biggest difference is Barkley 6’2” 190 vs Hourihane at 5’11” 140, lol.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Two unsightly missed opportunities, but had a blinder otherwise. Won the free kick to set up the 4th goal, and delivered a brilliant arcing low pass to a charging Trez who slotted it over to Ollie. Barkley is a freight train. This is the CM player we've been crying out for years. 

• Like 1

The great thing about Barkley is....

He has been there and done it to a much higher level than most of our squad... so he walks in immediately...
Hourihane WILL understand because he is a professional...

But the key thing is... Grealish got SOOOOO much more space and freedom tonight...

Most times I have seen him play? He gets mobbed...

Teams cant afford to do that anymore...

Not now we have a bit of class in the side

3 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I keep seeing " The difference between him and Hourihane is"

When in reality, the real difference is simply that he is a superior player in every way.

As much as we love Connor, it's the truth.

i think connor has a bit more guile than ross, but thats about it

• Haha 1

Just now, ciggiesnbeer said:

Thats after a couple of days training with us....

Not only that but he has barely played football recently. The way he was linking with Grealish and Watkins in particular you’d think they’d been playing together since they were kids and that Barkley is already 20 games into an excellent season with the bit between his teeth. 

Just now, Spoony said:

Not only that but he has barely played football recently. The way he was linking with Grealish and Watkins in particular you’d think they’d been playing together since they were kids and that Barkley is already 20 games into an excellent season with the bit between his teeth. 

Out of likes but yeah great points I agree!

Â