Ross Barkley

LondonLax

Whilst being happy with this signing I don’t think I fully appreciated just what he’d bring to the team. Agree that he seems to have changed the whole team dynamic.

Still early days this season but for the first time in a while I’m looking forward to our next game - instead of having that feeling you get before a driving test or an exam. When you keep needing the toilet every few minutes but not much comes out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 02/10/2020 at 21:37, Sam-AVFC said:

You think altogether too highly of yourself. 

No, not really. Just used to people jumping in and making comments without actually thinking about what was said and what it means.

On 04/10/2020 at 03:19, cheltenham_villa said:

I think a loan like this is very different, barkley is not a young player that chelsea are looking to see his development. No way back to chelsea for him. As long as we develop well, he plays a lot of games and he probably signs for us.

I don’t disagree. But the argument from the club was they didn’t want to improve a players worth. For example, say they tried to buy Barkley rather than a loan and the fee was $25-30m, if he has an outstanding season for Villa, most likely other clubs will come a knocking and drive up the price and Vila could be paying $50-60m? Or Lampard has a second season shocker gets sacked and another manager goes into Chelsea and has his own opinion about Barkley.

it was the clubs argument, obviously something changed their mind, we all saw the difference Barkley made against Liverpool. This argument would be mute if a fee had already been agreed at the end of the season, but all reports are they haven’t. The club can do what they want, just seemed a strange decision when they were so vocal about not going to loan without a buy clause.

55 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

I don’t disagree. But the argument from the club was they didn’t want to improve a players worth. For example, say they tried to buy Barkley rather than a loan and the fee was $25-30m, if he has an outstanding season for Villa, most likely other clubs will come a knocking and drive up the price and Vila could be paying $50-60m? Or Lampard has a second season shocker gets sacked and another manager goes into Chelsea and has his own opinion about Barkley.

it was the clubs argument, obviously something changed their mind, we all saw the difference Barkley made against Liverpool. This argument would be mute if a fee had already been agreed at the end of the season, but all reports are they haven’t. The club can do what they want, just seemed a strange decision when they were so vocal about not going to loan without a buy clause.

With all due respect mate are you seriously still going on about this? Does it really matter? We’ve got one of the best players we’ve seen wear a villa shirt since we finished 6th. Who gives a shit if it ends up only being for one year!?

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

With all due respect mate are you seriously still going on about this? Does it really matter? We’ve got one of the best players we’ve seen where a villa shirt since we finished 6th. Who gives a shit if it ends up only being for one year!?

I could say the same. Someone made a comment and I responded with my thoughts, I thought that’s what this forum was for? Just because you don’t like subject matter, doesn’t mean it can’t be discussed. PS I hadn’t responded for 5 days it’s my first time back on.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

I could say the same. Someone made a comment and I responded with my thoughts, I thought that’s what this forum was for? Just because you don’t like subject matter, doesn’t mean it can’t be discussed. PS I hadn’t responded for 5 days it’s my first time back on.

Sorry. Didn’t realise you were just responding to someone about it.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

How much would he cost do you think?

If he has a good season they'll be asking for a fortune.

£50/60m I bet. The market has gone mental.

For this reason I hope we got some sort of clause and pre-agreed fee in the loan deal. 

6 hours ago, MapleVilla said:

Last season it was give it to Jack and hope for the best. This season with Barkley and Watkins it gives Jack a lot more freedom and it's less obvious that everything will go through him. Because now it can be Jack, Barkley, Watkins, McGinn or any combination of them. I thought on Sunday "Jack didn't really dominate the game like maybe some games last season. Maybe not the best game he's ever had". BUT once  I realised how stupid that thought was! I saw his stats and watched the highlights again, he actually had one of it not the most productive games he's ever had.

The reason for my initial thoughts was

1. shock at the magnitude of the scoreline

2. the performance of the team as a whole

BUT when you look back, because of Barkley and Watkins linking up with Jack as well as McGinn. It just blows my mind that Jack had such an incredible game, yet it wasn't glaringly obvious, because of the likes of Barkley and Watkins and what they contributed. The difference between Sunday and the West Ham game is insane. I know it's only one game but I think the Barkley signing is a bit like the Reina signing in January. Very astute and not a signing that will just add another piece of quality to the team. It'll bring out the best of what we already had.

I thought jack was phenomenal, he was instrumental in everything....2 goals 3 assists is unprecedented.

He now has some help......bring it on.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

Sometimes, there is no alternative.

we didn't say we don't want to improve a players worth.....we just said its ironic when we do, we have to pay for it.

its just a good start....lets hope he keeps it up.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

With all due respect mate are you seriously still going on about this? Does it really matter? We’ve got one of the best players we’ve seen where a villa shirt since we finished 6th. Who gives a shit if it ends up only being for one year!?

Yep, better to have loved and lost......

• Like 1

My speculative take on it, assuming we don't have an option to buy...

I imagine we definitely asked about an option to buy but suspect we got told that there is no option but an enforced we must buy, at a price beyond what we were prepared to accept given the uncertainty at the start of this season.  Then probably got given the "you can have RLC  with an option..." to which we (rightly) decided that loaning Ross without any ongoing agreement is better than RLC in any shape or form. 

Then it comes down to do we cut our nose off to spite our face by going back on a comment we made under totally different circumstances,  arguably about totally different scenarios (Abraham, Tuanzebe...). Or, do we take advantage of a situation that gets us a top 6 teams player, that will be worth more to us in first team improvement,  than the opportunity cost of having a worse player in his position. Not to mention the benefit our own players get from having an experienced "seen it all" number 8 to learn from.

Great piece of business  that I'm still shocked we managed to pull off.

Edited by MrBlack
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MrBlack said:

My speculative take on it, assuming we don't have an option to buy...

I imagine we definitely asked about an option to buy but suspect we got told that there is no option but an enforced we must buy, at a price beyond what we were prepared to accept given the uncertainty at the start of this season.  Then probably got given the "you can have RLC  with an option..." to which we (rightly) decided that loaning Ross without any ongoing agreement is better than RLC in any shape or form. 

Then it comes down to do we cut our nose off to spite our face by going back on a comment we made under totally different circumstances,  arguably about totally different scenarios (Abraham, Tuanzebe...). Or, do we take advantage of a situation that gets us a top 6 teams player, that will be worth more to us in first team improvement,  than the opportunity cost of having a worse player in his position. Not to mention the benefit our own players get from having an experienced "seen it all" number 8 to learn from.

Great piece of business  that I'm still shocked we managed to pull off.

Spot on

Â