Ross Barkley

LondonLax

8 hours ago, Adam2003 said:
9 hours ago, Made In Aston said:

Showed Hourihane up something rotten with that performance tonight. Did all the things Conor should have been doing but hasn't. 

I mean that’s not fair, he’s just a different level player. This is a guy who was a £40m player three years ago. It hasn’t quite worked out for him and even saying that he’s played 50 times for Chelsea and a couple of dozen times for England since then.

8 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

The biggest difference between himself and Hourihane is his ability to attack space. Conor isn't comfortable when he's on the ball and will more often than not look to give it quickly despite been in a bit of space. Barkley is not afraid of the ball and is very aware of how much time he has on the ball.

This is what I meant. I've got a lot of respect for Conor, but in terms of being an effective part of our system, he is limited. 

3 hours ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

I  am gonna gush, what the hell its rare to enough watching debuts like our new signings. 
He had barely trained with us. Dean Smith in the interview said he played Ross as a 10(?) and encouraged those driving runs, is that the way Barkley always plays?  I havent seen him much before. Is this how (whatever the hell his position is) can look? Because I like it a lot!.  Iwas impressed af! And did you see his set pieces? This guy is great.
I know everyone played well but this was an amazing debut for any player, let alone one who had only been at the club a day or two.
Stay here and win things with us Ross! 

I really try to avoid posting on forums I told you so and not directed at you but I made my opinion clear on several forums and FB Barkley is the real deal and massive upgrade on our midfield (Hourihane)

18 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

This is what I meant. I've got a lot of respect for Conor, but in terms of being an effective part of our system, he is limited. 

It's the difference between a championship level player and a very good premier league player. Barkley is just better, much better. 

17 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

I really try to avoid posting on forums I told you so and not directed at you but I made my opinion clear on several forums and FB Barkley is the real deal and massive upgrade on our midfield (Hourihane)

Don't think you're unique in thinking Barkley is an upgrade on Conor?

Chelsea are absolutely nuts to have let him out - but just goes to show it's no good buying up all the best players only to fail to give them a platform. 2 years on his contract at the end of this season - he has a blinder here (and he will) then the only thing preventing us getting him is wages, should someone offer him daft money - but he's hardly going to want to return to the club who stifled his career. 

3 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Chelsea are absolutely nuts to have let him out - but just goes to show it's no good buying up all the best players only to fail to give them a platform. 2 years on his contract at the end of this season - he has a blinder here (and he will) then the only thing preventing us getting him is wages, should someone offer him daft money - but he's hardly going to want to return to the club who stifled his career. 

After 10 games and lots of training sessions with Jack and Ollie they should have a real understanding. They’ll be giving that mug Southgate some selection problems too. 

• Like 1

That was one hell of a debut from Barkley, the difference his threat makes for Jack is unreal. Jack's going to get so much space now that teams need to watch out for both of them. His ball control, running and passing were all excellent. Looks like he can take a mean dead ball too. That ball in to Trezequet for Watkin's third was perfect. For want of some better finishing, he could have had a hat-trick. Still got a debut goal, and his partnership with Jack will only get better. 

• Like 2

I'm now not sure if Barkley did miss a sitter afterall.. In the highlights on the OS, Jack Woodward says that Robertson gets a vital touch on Barkley's first shot. In the replays I can't quite work out if it did touch Robertson's foot or not, but Barkley does signal to the ref for a corner (but I guess it wasn't given). 

Edited by robby b

2 hours ago, AVTuco said:

What a player. We're not a one man team anymore.

Will teams dare double and triple up on Grealish now they know Barkley is in there? I don’t think they can afford to.

Only one game obvs but if last night is anything to go by this has been a genius and potentially pivotal signing.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Will teams dare double and triple up on Grealish now they know Barkley is in there? I don’t think they can afford to.

Only one game obvs but if last night is anything to go by this has been a genius and potentially pivotal signing.

I think it will only get worse for teams we play when Traore is fit too with his pace and technical ability.

the fact we would have such a threat should take pressure off the defence as the opposition can’t just throw people forward like last year.

Funnily enough, when Barkley first broke through at Everton I remember thinking this was the next Gazza. Seemed to have the full package of dribbling ability,  passing range, and physical strength and speed.

Since then his career had dipped, and while I was sure this was a good signing (purely as an upgrade on Hourihane), I wasn't expecting it to be quite as inspired as it now looks.

The interplay between Grealish and Barkley will be filling up highlights reels all seasons. Throw in a bit of cheek from McGinn and Luiz, and we could be seeing some very, very sexy football at Villa Park.

As others have said, just having one extra creative player in there has a massive effect on how opposition teams defend against Jack. It will really allow him to prove how good he is on a consistent basis, and he will love linking up with Barkley around the box.

• Like 2

Â