Ross Barkley

LondonLax

15 minutes ago, Spoony said:

Just different gravy. Such a coup for us and I’m delighted he’s here and already distraught about losing him. 

If he wants to stay at Villa and Villa want to keep him, we can make it happen. We are in pole position.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, maqroll said:

If he wants to stay at Villa and Villa want to keep him, we can make it happen. We are in pole position.

I agree, if he wants to stay it will happen. 

He knows if he goes back to Chelsea it will be for less play time. If he has a good season here and we finish in a decent position, I'm sure the owners can persuade him.

I really do think that Ross, Jack and Ollie will really enjoy the interplay and hopefully that goes some way to keeping everyone and building next season.

• Like 1

I  am gonna gush, what the hell its rare to enough watching debuts like our new signings. 
He had barely trained with us. Dean Smith in the interview said he played Ross as a 10(?) and encouraged those driving runs, is that the way Barkley always plays?  I havent seen him much before. Is this how (whatever the hell his position is) can look? Because I like it a lot!.  Iwas impressed af! And did you see his set pieces? This guy is great.
I know everyone played well but this was an amazing debut for any player, let alone one who had only been at the club a day or two.
Stay here and win things with us Ross! 

Edited by ciggiesnbeer
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Made In Aston said:

Showed Hourihane up something rotten with that performance tonight. Did all the things Conor should have been doing but hasn't. 

Harsh on Conor he’d improved massively and is a top pro he will still have a hand in a dozen goals this year. Also always deserves respect for crucial goals that got us here and kept us up. 

2 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

I particularly enjoyed this

"Some of the worst Sky commentary I've heard, imagine being a Villa fan and having to listen to that."

At one point Carra said “it’s Aston Villa” oh how I loved it after that

1 hour ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

I  am gonna gush, what the hell its rare to enough watching debuts like our new signings. 
He had barely trained with us. Dean Smith in the interview said he played Ross as a 10(?) and encouraged those driving runs, is that the way Barkley always plays?  I havent seen him much before. Is this how (whatever the hell his position is) can look? Because I like it a lot!.  Iwas impressed af! And did you see his set pieces? This guy is great.
I know everyone played well but this was an amazing debut for any player, let alone one who had only been at the club a day or two.
Stay here and win things with us Ross! 

Read something that said this was perfect for Barkley. He's always been stuck in rigid positions that don't allow him any freedom and in our squad he gets that. Luiz and McGinn take most of the defensive responsibilities in the midfield leaving him to become a playmaker. It's a terrible paraphrase but the gist of it lol.

What a player. Can tell straight away what he offers. He was practically playing as a striker at times, and the runs he was making was giving Watkins and Grealish so much freedom.

• Like 1

He really had some understanding with Jack. I wouldn't be surprised if Jack had some input on this spesific signing. 

To be honest he was a breath of fresh air. He drove forward with the ball, took shots, challenged on headers, added urgency on counters. 

Great **** match. Well done sir. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MCU said:

What a player. Can tell straight away what he offers. He was practically playing as a striker at times, and the runs he was making was giving Watkins and Grealish so much freedom.

What we do off the ball has been our biggest issue, adding higher quality players fixes that, fantastic player that can only get better.

1 hour ago, Fairy In Boots said:

Harsh on Conor he’d improved massively and is a top pro he will still have a hand in a dozen goals this year. Also always deserves respect for crucial goals that got us here and kept us up.

He's right though. The drive and mobility in all directions was needed and something Hourihane is incapable of.

Anyway, Hourihane will have his minutes. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Spoony said:

Just different gravy. Such a coup for us and I’m delighted he’s here and already distraught about losing him. 

I think we will go sign the guy, Barkley never got the free role he got last night at chelsea, he will enjoy it at Villa way more. Chelsea fans even think he wont ever be a starter in there team again.

Edited by Dave-R

Good game; great debut.

Scored from position which was barely a half-chance, but missed 2 much better chances. I think the level of physically he brought in his harrying and running showed what Conor's misses from his game; not a criticism, as he's a different build, but  it created so much space for others.

It also left McGinn and Luiz in the CM positions, and they were amazing. What a signing!

3 hours ago, maqroll said:

I cant see Barkley wanting to go back to chelsea if for one hes getting every match game time, Hes got him self a number 10 role all over the place free like and there more than 90% chance he wont be fitting in at chelsea any season soon.

Great debut, the way Barkley Grealish and Watkins linked up was superb. Loads of energy getting in and around the box and always looked a threat, on another day he could have had 3.

Edited by Eligius

2 hours ago, Fairy In Boots said:
9 hours ago, Made In Aston said:

Showed Hourihane up something rotten with that performance tonight. Did all the things Conor should have been doing but hasn't. 

Not really. No one can deny that he is effective in terms of goals and assists and is a great pro, but Barkley is massive improvement. He drives forward from midfield, links up the play and makes good runs that drag defenders out of position. Those are the things Conor should be doing. 

Â