Ross Barkley

LondonLax

I am curious if Smith notices how the fanbase is unhappy with Barkley (as we rightfully can be in my opinion), and would leave him out due to it? Because even me who is a reasonably calm person would be furious if he gets minutes next game. I would rather have Trez on with crutches due to his attitude. 

Personally I believe a manager should be pretty confident of the quality in a player if he gets minutes after that performance, because in the long run you need to keep the fans happy. 

Absolutely outrageous if he is even on the bench in my opinion, would rather have an empty seat there...

1 hour ago, TheMelvillan said:

All the other players around him (including Ramsey bar one challenge when he is directly in front of the Liverpool player) are doing the same. I'd like to see what's going on properly rather than look at such a zoomed in shot on one player. People do have positions and roles to keep to.

I'm as disappointed in his lack of impact since the first few games as anyone, but I feel a bit cynical about this video.

Edited by Rolta
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've told you what's happening it's all a rous so we can get him on the cheap. It's all cooked up Barkley playing like a school kid and Jack's in on this mischievous plot along with Lange and Smith.

Chelsea won't want him back after this, I reckon a freebie is coming our way.

😉

I could see the logic of putting him on against pool and maybe have some old derby feelings to inspire him to kick on, but in hindsight it was a terrible sub and I disappointing that Davis was kept on the bench. I don't understand how someone can fall so badly off a cliff as Barkley and it shows just how important confidence and believe is to once performance, but the most disappointing thing for me is that I don't see any real urgency to recapture that form or at least maintain a workrate..

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Rolta said:

All the other players around him (including Ramsey bar one challenge when he is directly in front of the Liverpool player) are doing the same. I'd like to see what's going on properly rather than look at such a zoomed in shot on one player. People do have positions and roles to keep to.

I'm as disappointed in his lack of impact since the first few games as anyone, but I feel a bit cynical about this video.

I watch him quite closely in most games he plays - mainly because I was so excited about him joining us. Can confirm that this is fairly representative of his defensive approach to the game.

He always gets in the vague vicinity of the player with the ball but never EVER actually attempts to take the ball or make the tackle. I guess he can claim that, statistically or analytically or whatever that he is doing what is asked of him defensively but he demonstrates zero desire or effort to win back the ball.

It's as if it's beneath him to do so

• Like 2

I think a reality check is on its way for Mr Barkley, or it at least should be. He’s no chance of playing for Chelsea, and It’d take a feckless gamble for anyone to pay anything for him from what we’ve seen of him on the pitch. Chelsea are either going to have to offload him at a whole lot less than the £40m being talked about, or have him sit around for the next 2yrs on £100k every week. I can’t see how Barkley is ever going to see a £100kpw deal ever again, he’s not going to get move to a club in and amongst the top 6-8, and anyone else below that isn’t going to pay a £20-30m transfer and £100k weekly salary to an injury prone 28yr old. Ok, maybe Brucey at Newcastle might. 
If his price tag was around £10m and his weekly salary demand around £50k then he might attract offers from someone like a Watford, or a Burnley, or a Crystal Palace, or a West Ham. But I’m absolutely certain it shouldn’t be us, even if it was a free transfer. The best teams require work rate, tenacity, application. Barkley doesn’t have any of those, the game has unfortunately left him behind at the top level. 

3 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

I think a reality check is on its way for Mr Barkley, or it at least should be. He’s no chance of playing for Chelsea, and It’d take a feckless gamble for anyone to pay anything for him from what we’ve seen of him on the pitch. Chelsea are either going to have to offload him at a whole lot less than the £40m being talked about, or have him sit around for the next 2yrs on £100k every week. I can’t see how Barkley is ever going to see a £100kpw deal ever again, he’s not going to get move to a club in and amongst the top 6-8, and anyone else below that isn’t going to pay a £20-30m transfer and £100k weekly salary to an injury prone 28yr old. Ok, maybe Brucey at Newcastle might. 
If his price tag was around £10m and his weekly salary demand around £50k then he might attract offers from someone like a Watford, or a Burnley, or a Crystal Palace, or a West Ham. But I’m absolutely certain it shouldn’t be us, even if it was a free transfer. The best teams require work rate, tenacity, application. Barkley doesn’t have any of those, the game has unfortunately left him behind at the top level. 

I actually feel a bit sorry for him as it feels like his career is at risk. He came in and looked very good up until his injury and our Covid break. Whether it's the injury or he was one of those affected by Covid he has come back and looks a completely different player. He also seems like someone who wears his heart on his sleeve a little bit as seen by the tantrums when he's taken off and the arm waving in the video posted which seem more an annoyance at his own form in a lot of cases.

I don't think he's been good enough since the injury to warrant a place even on the bench if I'm being honest. However I'm not convinced that this isn't due to underlying health issues (whether Covid or injury related) rather than him not being bothered. All in all its a bit of a shame as he looked the perfect foil for Grealish in a lot of his early appearances.

1 minute ago, tom_avfc said:

I actually feel a bit sorry for him as it feels like his career is at risk. He came in and looked very good up until his injury and our Covid break. Whether it's the injury or he was one of those affected by Covid he has come back and looks a completely different player. He also seems like someone who wears his heart on his sleeve a little bit as seen by the tantrums when he's taken off and the arm waving in the video posted which seem more an annoyance at his own form in a lot of cases.

I don't think he's been good enough since the injury to warrant a place even on the bench if I'm being honest. However I'm not convinced that this isn't due to underlying health issues (whether Covid or injury related) rather than him not being bothered. All in all its a bit of a shame as he looked the perfect foil for Grealish in a lot of his early appearances.

I think a lot of Villa fans overestimate the form of Barkley in a Villa shirt. I think opinions were inflated by him scoring the winner against Leicester with the last kick of the game, and because he scored in a memorable win over the league champions (a deflected goal!). We can look back now with the benefit of hindsight and see that nearly all of the good performances had Grealish at the heart of them, playing the most instrumental part. Grealish makes a lot of other players look better when he plays. 

2 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

I think a lot of Villa fans overestimate the form of Barkley in a Villa shirt. I think opinions were inflated by him scoring the winner against Leicester with the last kick of the game, and because he scored in a memorable win over the league champions (a deflected goal!). We can look back now with the benefit of hindsight and see that nearly all of the good performances had Grealish at the heart of them, playing the most instrumental part. Grealish makes a lot of other players look better when he plays. 

This is fair enough although I'd argue that our other wingers have the opposite effect in making players look worse when they play!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TheMelvillan said:

1 hour ago, MaVilla said:

that is honestly, absolutely f****** disgusting.

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Disgrace 

27 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

thats incredible, cant coach that 

Honestly, the more i watch that the more shocked i am........there is literally zero excuses for it, its unreal, seriously unreal that we allow a player to get away with that!

He shouldnt even be in the squad imo now.......completely un-frickin believable!

Anybody who tries to defend that needs their head checking.

Edited by MaVilla

Â