Ross Barkley

LondonLax

1 hour ago, Thug said:

What is ‘his form’ though?

is it the hand full of stellar performances in his career, or the majority of lazy half arsed appearances?

on his day he’s brilliant - hence the england call ups. But his day comes around 2 times a year.

its unbelievable how quickly villa fans rewrite history.  it wasn't a couple of games at the start of the season it was every game until he got injured.  that was him in good form playing in a good team with a player on his wavelength.  equally I'm not going to forget the woeful 6 games after covid but I won't forget what he's capable of fit in form in a good team. however I'm not saying we should sign him.  I think the main issue is his injury problems.  when he's fit and playing well he appears to pull a hamstring and then takes far too long to recover, regain fitness and then as we've seen form.

Edited by tezzaleed
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, tezzaleed said:

its unbelievable how quickly villa fans rewrite history.  it wasn't a couple of games at the start of the season it was every game until he got injured.  that was him in good form playing in a good team with a player on his wavelength.  equally I'm not going to forget the woeful 6 games after covid but I won't forget what he's capable of fit in form in a good team. however I'm not saying we should sign him.  I think the main issue is his injury problems.  when he's fit and playing well he appears to pull a hamstring and then takes far too long to recover, regain fitness and then as we've seen form.

So 4 games, or do we include the 0-3 loss against Leeds as well? He was OK in that game I guess.

Agree that injuries is one of the main reasons we should not sign him. In the 13 times he's featured after the injury he's only really looked competent in the one against Arsenal. he did get the game winning goal against Southampton but he was woeful apart from that.

He’s got real quality. He has good close control, strikes the ball cleanly with great technique in both passing and shooting. 

He is also very lazy in his defensive duties which does not suit the modern game. It is highlighted when he plays alongside someone like Watkins as well. 

A very frustrating player.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tezzaleed said:

Except I’m not the one re-writing history here.

I posted a very thorough statistical analysis of our performances with and without him in the team even before his injury ‘ruined his brilliant start’.  We were playing with MORE possession, MORE shots on goal, MORE average goals per game, HIGHER up the pitch WITHOUT him in the team DESPITE a 7-2 victory counting towards his stats. All the while conceding FEWER goals, and FEWER shots on target against us.

Lets face facts, Ross Barkley has been Ross Barkley during this loan.  He put in 2 brilliant performances, a handful of average performances, and a majority of awful performances.  Go back and read fans views of him on Chelsea and Everton boards, and you will see EXACTLY the same criticisms from them that you will see with your own eyes now.  What he brings to a football team in an attacking sense is completely trashed by his total inability or willing to contribute ANYTHING when the ball is not at his feet.

I’m not the one re-writing history.  You are.

• Like 1

When we first signed him, I thought we had played a blinder, and seeing the first few performances linking up with Jack seemed to confirm that. Some of it was pure filth. I don't know what has happened since his injury but he just does not seem to want it. Whether he is frustrated with himself, the team, the manager or what I do not know, but he does not seem to have the mental resilience to turn around a bad patch. The effort he puts in to chase back are woeful and his movement on the ball is nowhere near as crisp and sharp as it was when he first joined. Compare his workrate to that of Ollie or Trez for example. As others have said, he is 27 - in his prime, he should be running round that pitch like a man possessed.

Ultimately I feel bad that it hasn't worked out, could have been great - but for the quoted £30m and £100K + per week we need to look elsewhere. That is not good value for money. If he was putting in the effort but not quite clicking then I could get behind a lower priced deal, but he just doesn't seem to want to do it. Great shame - great skills and talent on his day, but too inconsistent and does not work hard enough.

7 hours ago, Thug said:

Except I’m not the one re-writing history here.

I posted a very thorough statistical analysis of our performances with and without him in the team even before his injury ‘ruined his brilliant start’.  We were playing with MORE possession, MORE shots on goal, MORE average goals per game, HIGHER up the pitch WITHOUT him in the team DESPITE a 7-2 victory counting towards his stats. All the while conceding FEWER goals, and FEWER shots on target against us.

Lets face facts, Ross Barkley has been Ross Barkley during this loan.  He put in 2 brilliant performances, a handful of average performances, and a majority of awful performances.  Go back and read fans views of him on Chelsea and Everton boards, and you will see EXACTLY the same criticisms from them that you will see with your own eyes now.  What he brings to a football team in an attacking sense is completely trashed by his total inability or willing to contribute ANYTHING when the ball is not at his feet.

I’m not the one re-writing history.  You are.

I'll remember the actual performances from having watched them and you can use your stats to back up your agenda. saying he only played well twice for us us a fantasy.

31 minutes ago, tezzaleed said:

I'll remember the actual performances from having watched them and you can use your stats to back up your agenda. saying he only played well twice for us us a fantasy.

Go on then.... Remind us all of the performances where he played well...

Actually, let's make it easier.... Give us 2 games, excluding the 7-2 Liverpool match, where the guy looked like a £40 million England player....

Edited by jimmygreaves
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, tezzaleed said:

Nope the fantasy is people thinking that he has helped this club this season. That we owe him something, or that the endless excuses for his crap performances are justified.

Two decent performances and he's literally stolen a living since, if his name was Micah Richards people would be going to town on how bad he has been.

You can add Ross Barkley to list of horrendous loan players we have bought in.

The sooner he's gone and this thread is bumped to 'other football' the sooner this club and its fans can move on from the illusion that is Ross Barkley being anything other than a lazy sod.

Edited by Villan_of_oz
  • Like 4

Anyone else starting to think he really was here all because he wanted that euros place, now that's gone sos his enthusiasm.

Started a blinder, confidence flying, in his head thinking he's got his name back into Southgate thinking fold and then the injury hit.

He couldn't get his mojo back whilst all the while burdened by his want of that place becoming a perished dream in front of him, watching other players cement there names and eventually just losing the will feeling defeated and just not seeing a point to perform as he's so far out the circle now.

If so you'd of thought maybe lingaards resurgence would of reinvigorated him, but maybe even he's just given up on it.

Dean even said when he came here he told him ill get you back in the England team to convince him.

Anyone else starting to think he really was here all solely because he wanted that euros place, now that's gone sos his enthusiasm.

Started a blinder, confidence flying, in his head thinking he's got his name back into Southgate thinking fold and then the injury hit.

He couldn't get his mojo back whilst all the while burdened by his want of that place becoming a perished dream in front of him, watching other players cement there names and eventually just losing the will feeling defeated and just not seeing a point to perform as he's so far out the circle now.

If so you'd of thought maybe lingaards resurgence would of reinvigorated him, but maybe even he's just given up on it or no longer believes himself good enough.

Dean even said when he came here he told him ill get you back in the England team to convince him.

Just wish there was some way we could infuse his obvious technical ability with trezs desire and workrate

1 hour ago, Kbdrum88 said:

Anyone else starting to think he really was here all solely because he wanted that euros place, now that's gone sos his enthusiasm.

If so you'd of thought maybe lingaards resurgence would of reinvigorated him, but maybe even he's just given up on it or no longer believes himself good enough.

Just wish there was some way we could infuse his obvious technical ability with trezs desire and workrate

This is a lot of speculation.

To me it looks like he got injured/suffered with Covid and hasn't been able to recover his performance levels since this. It happens and he looks as frustrated with this fact as everybody else.

He hasn't performed well enough to warrant a place in the starting eleven and he'll go back to Chelsea at the end of the season. It looked like it could have been a masterstroke early on in the season but for a combination of reasons it hasn't worked out in the end.

I don't get the need to try and chuck accusations of giving up at players who aren't performing particularly when the downturn coincides with a known injury and a Covid outbreak at the club.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, tom_avfc said:

This is a lot of speculation.

To me it looks like he got injured/suffered with Covid and hasn't been able to recover his performance levels since this. It happens and he looks as frustrated with this fact as everybody else.

He hasn't performed well enough to warrant a place in the starting eleven and he'll go back to Chelsea at the end of the season. It looked like it could have been a masterstroke early on in the season but for a combination of reasons it hasn't worked out in the end.

I don't get the need to try and chuck accusations of giving up at players who aren't performing particularly when the downturn coincides with a known injury and a Covid outbreak at the club.

Yes exactly, out of form and fitness perhaps. He'll probably spring into life as soon as Jack is back. 

On 17/04/2021 at 01:49, tezzaleed said:

Arnold Schwarzenegger No GIF

15 hours ago, Kbdrum88 said:

Only Liverpool and Arsenal games. Leicester he wasn’t good and we asked for him to get subbed but fair enough scored by then.

Leeds and Southampton were bad. Then the injury. 

Â