Ross Barkley

LondonLax

Was played in late on and took a lovely first touch just inside the penalty area.....

... then a second. Then a third. Then the opportunity was well gone and he turned the ball over.

Sums him up a bit at the moment. Has the ability to be in the right place, to take the good touch but so low in confidence he dithered.

Apart from some poor individual performances, I think Dean Smith gets the best out of his players - but not with Barkley. As the outlier then, Barkley really has no future here.

3 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

Was played in late on and took a lovely first touch just inside the penalty area.....

... then a second. Then a third. Then the opportunity was well gone and he turned the ball over.

Sums him up a bit at the moment. Has the ability to be in the right place, to take the good touch but so low in confidence he dithered.

Apart from some poor individual performances, I think Dean Smith gets the best out of his players - but not with Barkley. As the outlier then, Barkley really has no future here.

You forgot to mention he was in such a strop about it he foaled to close down twice to a player 2 yards away from him which led to the goal. 

21 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

Zero confidence a confident player puts his foot through that

Bringing him on was a ridiculous decision today. He's been shit for months, and in fact for all but three and a bit games. He's not our player, you would hope he's never going to be our player, so what was Smith hoping to achieve by bringing him on? Then on the other hand you have Keinan Davis, who came on and did very well last week, not being given another chance at all. I'm no big fan of Davis, but surely he warrants a chance, having done well last match, above somebody who is unfit, and has a bad attitude to go with it? It's a similar sort of idiocy and hoping for the best that saw Smith persevering with that horrendous bellend Drinkwater last season. A blind man on a galloping horse could see that he was all washed up, but Smith ploughed on regardless.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tom13 said:

Him being judged on these small cameos when team confidence is low and his is probably even lower is a bit harsh.

Ah c'mon. His shit performances are what has led him being dropped to the bench in the first place and only getting cameos, and he is even shit in those too.

A harsh reality for some to accept it appears.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Ah c'mon. His shit performances are what has led him being dropped to the bench in the first place and only getting cameos, and he is even shit in those too.

A harsh reality for some to accept it appears.

Same for McGinn, he needs to be dropped as he has been missing all season. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, astondalston said:

Still so angry about his appearance and performance yesterday.... has never convinced since he arrived.. 

his performance was meh but there were far worse performances out there yesterday than Barkley!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kingman said:

Wouldn't even have him on the bench for the remaining fixtures. Complete and utter waste of space 

Time to get one of the youth team integrated 

Now Chukwemeka (sp?) I’d love to see in the starting line up.

I guess Smith gambled on Barkley having a bit of spark when coming on against Liverpool. Everton boy, played a great game last time against them. It's not that far fetched an idea.

Didn't work of course but I get why he might have tried it. Now we know.

I'm hoping we don't have to watch him play for us again. Much rather some of the youngsters get the time on the pitch to make their own mistakes and learn from them. U never know, they might actually do some good as well.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, sne said:

I guess Smith gambled on Barkley having a bit of spark when coming on against Liverpool. Everton boy, played a great game last time against them. It's not that far fetched an idea.

Didn't work of course but I get why he might have tried it. Now we know.

I'm hoping we don't have to watch him play for us again. Much rather some of the youngsters get the time on the pitch to make their own mistakes and learn from them. U never know, they might actually do some good as well.

If he is not looking up for it against Liverpool there is no point giving him anymore minutes.

Sends a bad message to the squad though and a player like Keinan works his socks off and even contributed with a lovely assist in the last game and isn't rewarded for that.

Edited by villalad21

1 hour ago, Tommo_b said:

his performance was meh but there were far worse performances out there yesterday than Barkley!

Performance-wise he did the same he has done every  appearance in 2021 and blew the chance to put us ahead before losing possession. He was the wrong sub imho.

• Like 1

Honestly, I'd send him back now. I understand that we've paid a load to loan him and we're struggling for creativity and would love him to get back to form asap. But it's clear its just not going to happen. The guy is a bust now. Give the kids a go.

12 hours ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Agreed. Very ineffective assist fot our goal today

That was about it though. One assist every five or six games might be good enough for you but SEVEN times he gave the ball away, Jota nearly got an assist from him too.

He's lightweight.

• Like 1

I think the substitution made some sense like sne said. However not sure it's worth giving him more minutes after yday. Such a shame really since he obviously has talent but nothing is clicking for him now.

Â