Ross Barkley

LondonLax

Makes you wonder what Dean sees to chuck him on when you have Davis who busted a gut the other week to help earn the win? Baffling. I don't suppose we'll get an explanation.

Ive always supported Ross in giving him a fair crack but it's increasingly difficult when you see clips like this. I know videos can be edited to look worse but even so... 

• Like 4

I just watched the bit in the video with the complete screen. It was about a minute before they scored in the 90th, and it would be wrong to say that his being unfit is the reason why he's not running. He is though complaining about, I think, Ramsey taking the ball off him when he was in a good position.

I wasted my time watching the game again from the moment Barkley came on, and I think his work rate up until that moment was actually fine and he had some nice touches—along with some bad ones, but he was in the game and looked useful.

The problem is he really could have made a difference in the build up to the goal and he turned off and was really slack in a crucial moment (in the video the last moment when the player has the ball just ahead of him)—there's no reason not to try to win it back there, and they went and scored about 20 seconds later. You'd expect more from any player there's no doubt.

I'd say the little zoomed in video is misleading, but he should have done better. He was clearly being told to play high up the pitch though.

Edited by Rolta
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, birdman said:

Makes you wonder what Dean sees to chuck him on when you have Davis who busted a gut the other week to help earn the win? Baffling. I don't suppose we'll get an explanation.

Ive always supported Ross in giving him a fair crack but it's increasingly difficult when you see clips like this. I know videos can be edited to look worse but even so... 

Ironically (as I say I watched the full-screen video) Davis against Fulham did exactly the opposite to Barkley—he won the ball and we broke away and scored. Barkley complained and they went and scored.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Rolta said:

I just watched the bit in the video with the complete screen. It was about a minute before they scored in the 90th, and it would be wrong to say that his being unfit is the reason why he's not running. He is though complaining about, I think, Ramsey taking the ball off him when he was in a good position.

I wasted my time watching the game again from the moment Barkley came on, and I think his work rate up until that moment was actually fine and he had some nice touches—along with some bad ones, but he was in the game and looked useful.

The problem is he really could have made a difference in the build up to the goal and he turned off and was really slack in a crucial moment (in the video the last moment when the player has the ball just ahead of him)—there's no reason not to try to win it back there, and they went and scored about 20 seconds later. You'd expect more from any player there's no doubt.

I'd say the little zoomed in video is misleading, but he should have done better. He was clearly being told to play high up the pitch though.

I am clearly on my own suggesting he is being scapegoated for a disappointing result and period of games, but your observation is mine also and was my take away from the match. I thought he had some useful moments and showed some quality. You are not going to get a McGinn headless chicken run-out with Barkley which for some seems to carry a lot, but he has quality that others lack. If he had high energy and quality he wouldnt be here, he'd be in the mix a Chelsea or elsewhere.

He is no where near as bad as is suggested here, but has been disappointing but is in very good company at the moment, however he hasnt had the recent game time to showcase his talent, which is a double whammy as coming on for 10 minutes here, 20 minutes there is very difficult, especially when the whole team is basically abject.

For me we have lots of passengers in the midfield and problems to solve, maybe Barkley would be just another. But I feel if we had three or four much better midfielders they would all rub off on each other and we would see a more productive output collectively and therefore in terms of results.

I still hope he signs for a decent price and they add more big names in the summer. I am certainly going cold on McGinn; Luiz is young and will improve; Nakamba perhaps just too limited and one dimensional; AEG and Trez both limited and below the ambition of the club.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, thunderball said:

I am clearly on my own suggesting he is being scapegoated for a disappointing result and period of games, but your observation is mine also and was my take away from the match. I thought he had some useful moments and showed some quality. You are not going to get a McGinn headless chicken run-out with Barkley which for some seems to carry a lot, but he has quality that others lack. If he had high energy and quality he wouldnt be here, he'd be in the mix a Chelsea or elsewhere.

He is no where near as bad as is suggested here, but has been disappointing but is in very good company at the moment, however he hasnt had the recent game time to showcase his talent, which is a double whammy as coming on for 10 minutes here, 20 minutes there is very difficult, especially when the whole team is basically abject.

For me we have lots of passengers in the midfield and problems to solve, maybe Barkley would be just another. But I feel if we had three or four much better midfielders they would all rub off on each other and we would see a more productive output collectively and therefore in terms of results.

I still hope he signs for a decent price and they add more big names in the summer. I am certainly going cold on McGinn; Luiz is young and will improve; Nakamba perhaps just too limited and one dimensional; AEG and Trez both limited and below the ambition of the club.

I don't see anyone saying he doesn't possess skills that make him a bad player. The majority can see no effort, no willingness to participate in a team game, no fight, no desire to win the ball, no passion to challenge for the ball.

It's a team game, he has not been a team player, rather like traore only traore can run a bit and when forced to, will actually pass the ball ( normally a blind pass towards the opponents centre forward).

Barkley really hasn't shown he is fit to wear the shirt.

Makes Warren aspinall look like a sprinter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's almost like he got told post injury that we had no intention of making the move permanent and he just does not give a **** anymore, stopped trying to impress 

Which means we dodged a massive bullet 

But is also increasingly shit for him cos we gave him a huge opportunity, he probably won't get a better one, and then you throw in the last England squad and Lingard making the euros and can't help but think you absolute idiot, everything was there for him this season and hes thrown it all away 

43 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I really don't care if he was disappointed about this or that which happened a few seconds earlier. 

He's meant to be a professional footballer playing at the top level of the game. He's paid eyewatering amounts of money. You need to be and should be on it all the times. There is no place for a bit of a sulk and stroll around ignoring the opposition on the ball because you do that and you allow them to play and score last minute winners. 

I've got no time for a player who gets into a huff and doesn't do his job and neither should anyone else at Aston Villa. 

As others have said Davis would have been right in the face of those Liverpool players relishing his chance, running like a demented thing to stop them playing, maybe even nick the ball. 

Grealish does have the odd huff for balance. And he can take a few moments to get his head together at times too. 

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

It's almost like he got told post injury that we had no intention of making the move permanent and he just does not give a **** anymore, stopped trying to impress 

Which means we dodged a massive bullet 

But is also increasingly shit for him cos we gave him a huge opportunity, he probably won't get a better one, and then you throw in the last England squad and Lingard making the euros and can't help but think you absolute idiot, everything was there for him this season and hes thrown it all away 

Not just the chance to sign for Villa but the opportunity to impress Chelsea & the other top Premier League clubs. He is definitely no longer an England candidate & will struggle to get even a decent loan next season.

I guess being a multi-millionaire at 27 removes the urgency for some players. Lingard got the chance & kicked the door down.

Edited by gurru991
grammar

3 hours ago, brummybloke said:

Barkley really hasn't shown he is fit to wear the shirt.

Makes Warren aspinall look like a sprinter.

Wha? Outrageous! I’ll see you in the Warren Aspinall thread!

Sorry, got a bit triggered there. Aspinall’s one-yard winner in that 2-1 League Cup win v Spurs when we were Div 2... fond memory. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Five Ken McNaughts said:

Wha? Outrageous! I’ll see you in the Warren Aspinall thread!

Sorry, got a bit triggered there. Aspinall’s one-yard winner in that 2-1 League Cup win v Spurs when we were Div 2... fond memory. 

3500.jpg?width=1200&height=1200&quality=

• Haha 1

On 11/04/2021 at 10:10, Rightdm00 said:

You look at Lingard right now and you immediately wonder what could have been had Barkley maintained his early season form. 

That's the one transfer we have to nail this summer. This team desperately needs a second creative outlet next to Jack. 

I've been noticing that post-covid, players seem to come back from injuries as a shadow of themselves, especially if they caught the virus along the way. McGinn last season, Trezeguet this season. But the drop off from pre-injury Barkley to post-injury has been staggering. Two completely different players. Can't see a way back for him anymore. His career is about to go the way of Drinkwater it seems.

8 hours ago, thunderball said:

There is no way we are signing him and I am very thankful for that. I think you need to take your Ross tinted glasses off and see it for what is.

15 hours ago, Keyblade said:

....But the drop off from pre-injury Barkley to post-injury has been staggering. Two completely different players.

He made 4 appearances before the injury. He was his usual anonymous self in 2 and a half of them.

I've said it before... for some reason there's this myth that's been swallowed about this guy. It's like no-one had actually seen him play.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Rolta said:

Grealish does have the odd huff for balance. And he can take a few moments to get his head together at times too. 

Comparing Jack's behaviour to Ross's is not balance at all. One contributes, one doesn't that's balance for you.

If Ross had actually done something useful in the last 20 matches (roughly) I wouldn't mind the tanty....

He's a lazy git, with a terrible attitude and it's apparent why he's struggled at Chelsea...

Â