Ross Barkley

LondonLax

On 08/03/2021 at 12:00, sparrow1988 said:

He ran half the length of the field against Leicester and buried in the bottom corner. That's just one instance. The Arsenal game at the Emirates. The Liverpool game. I would suggest that would be evidence of him not being totally shite.

I'm not saying he is the best player we've got. I've even mentioned he probably shouldn't be starting at the moment. I just don't really get the he's totally shite comments. To say that is just nonsense. Similarly, the send him back to Chelsea comments.

This. He's a very talented individual who's struggling at the moment - his future is uncertain, he's out of form and his confidence is clearly low. He needs a bit of support and belief. 

• Like 3

On 08/03/2021 at 10:00, sparrow1988 said:

He ran half the length of the field against Leicester and buried in the bottom corner. That's just one instance. The Arsenal game at the Emirates. The Liverpool game. I would suggest that would be evidence of him not being totally shite.

I'm not saying he is the best player we've got. I've even mentioned he probably shouldn't be starting at the moment. I just don't really get the he's totally shite comments. To say that is just nonsense. Similarly, the send him back to Chelsea comments.

On 08/03/2021 at 10:38, AvfcRigo82 said:

It's one of those where we will agree to disagree.

I don't think you can argue Ross was rubbish in those games highlighted. 

The nuance is whether you deem those performances to be the exception or a rule that is being broken due to an injury and ensuing fitness issues.

I think it's the exception, irrespective of whether he is now injured / unfit/ out of form.

There's too much history that tells us this is what Barkley always does. He has moments of brilliance, but never delivers them consistently, and the rule seems to be that he will always get injured if playing at full tilt for any length of time. This means, even if he was doing it consistently, it would get undone sooner rather than later.

I question whether he can do it consistently,  but honestly don't think it matters as his fitness is not reliable. 

struggling badly for confidence. doesn't seem to be seeing the field properly and is far too casual and indecisive in transitions. hopefully it'll click for him before too long, all players go through bad spells.

couldn't believe my eyes at the "worst player in a decade" comment earlier. christ. 

Very talented player but awful application and questionable attitude. Personally I'd prefer a player with potential who works his nads off and demonstrates desire rather than one who perhaps doesn't feel he needs any of that.

On 08/03/2021 at 10:00, sparrow1988 said:

Whilst that truly was a great goal, let’s not exaggerate him running half the length of pitch.  He picked the ball up about 35 yards out, took two touches and smashed it in from 25 yards out.

14 minutes ago, Thug said:

Whilst that truly was a great goal, let’s not exaggerate him running half the length of pitch.  He picked the ball up about 35 yards out, took two touches and smashed it in from 25 yards out.

Hm fair enough. I really had a different memory of that goal. :D

Difficult to make a judgement on him from his time here. The injury has stopped him dead in his tracks and he looks far to inconsistent. 

If Chelsea want the reported £40 million then he hasn't done enough to justify us making it a permanent.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mykeyb said:

Difficult to make a judgement on him from his time here. The injury has stopped him dead in his tracks and he looks far to inconsistent. 

If Chelsea want the reported £40 million then he hasn't done enough to justify us making it a permanent.

If he's not the right player at 40m then he isn't the right player at all, no matter the cost.

If he doesn't fit then use the money on an alternative. 

Question is... when watching the game against Brighton and he went off injured after a few minutes with a hamstring injury, what was your initial gut reaction?

I know mine was like “ffs not Barkley he’s been brilliant every game”

Granted he has not come back the same player we first saw, but if he can become that player again over the last twelve or so games we will finish very high up. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Question is... when watching the game against Brighton and he went off injured after a few minutes with a hamstring injury, what was your initial gut reaction?

Granted he has not come back the same player we first saw, but if he can become that player again over the last twelve or so games we will finish very high up. 

yep agree, up until that injury he was great for us.    Needs to rediscover that form for the final batch of games.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tommo_b said:

You are absolutely right here, my heart sank when he pulled up and hobbled off.

However, the games that followed showed us that we played even better without him.

So quite honestly, I was more disappointed when I saw AEG dropped to make way for his return than I was when I saw Ross Barkley hobble off.

About a month ago I posted a set of match statistics for us with and without RB, and included pre-and post injury which showed that we were playing much better without him even before his injury.

Â