Ross Barkley

LondonLax

7 minutes ago, sne said:

And still my biggest gripe is his lack of interest when we don't have the ball. Instantly goes into energy saving mode.

This. All day this. I can let players slide for not producing when they are relatively new to the team or coming back from injury, but not showing effort or interest, that's unforgiveable. 

• Like 4

Said this before we signed him in last Summers Transfer thread (Can't quote the actual post, possibly because the thread is locked?):

Posted September 16, 2020

Chelsea bought him for his potential which he's never realised. Think he's massively over-rated personally, not really sure what his position is: Charges around with his head down too much and lacks the brain for attacking midfield and he's going to leave you short defensively if you play him deeper. 

Be quite happy to give him a miss unless it's a loan with an option to buy.

Thought I'd got it completely wrong after his first few games, particularly the Liverpool game, but it's very much starting to look like my impressions from what I'd seen of him at Chelsea were more representative of what we were going to get.

I'm not in a rush to get rid of him and I'm sure he will have his moments before the season is over but I'm certainly in no rush to make his move permanent especially for what I could imagine the fee/wages would be. Time to let another one of our midfielders have a chance because he's played himself out the team.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, sne said:

And still my biggest gripe is his lack of interest when we don't have the ball. Instantly goes into energy saving mode.

And then loses it softly running very slowly into trouble :lol:

• Like 1

He doesn’t look happy, I think his ‘antics’ after being subbed may be as much his frustration at himself as with Smiths decision to take him off.

I think he is a good player and he’s proved it on many occasions in the past, he may well be finding everything tough at the moment (as I know I am) so I’m willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

That said, I think he should not start the next game unless he has a storming week in training.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, penguin said:

Said this before we signed him in last Summers Transfer thread (Can't quote the actual post, possibly because the thread is locked?):

Thought I'd got it completely wrong after his first few games, particularly the Liverpool game, but it's very much starting to look like my impressions from what I'd seen of him at Chelsea were more representative of what we were going to get.

I'm not in a rush to get rid of him and I'm sure he will have his moments before the season is over but I'm certainly in no rush to make his move permanent especially for what I could imagine the fee/wages would be. Time to let another one of our midfielders have a chance because he's played himself out the team.

You were right, I thought he would be better than this for sure.

At this point we will get more points if we play Ramsey and it is holding his development back.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sne said:

I used to think it was tactics, and then I see Ramsey and Sanson pressing properly. Barkley does this thing where he kind of runs into the area he's supposed to be pressing half-heartedly and then backs off when the player passes the ball. It's completely ineffectual.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

He doesn’t look happy, I think his ‘antics’ after being subbed may be as much his frustration at himself as with Smiths decision to take him off.

One of the many FB groups carried a story last week that he had been involved in a bust-up at training and was not exactly popular in the camp. Desperately trying to find the story but so many groups !!! 

We have to remember he’s been out for six or seven weeks with a hamstring injury and then had to play games to recapture that fitness because we haven’t been able to train

Why couldn't he get game time as a sub or in under 23s once games were able to resume. Would love for Ramsey to start ahead of him, he deserves it and is one of our own. There is no way we are signing Barkley in the summer.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, penguin said:

Your current feelings echo mine.  I'm reaching the point where even a sparkling run of form for the last 10 games of the season would leave me seriously questioning the signing.

He looked good at the start, and in the hypothetical scenario above he looks good at the end. Just suggests he's only playing for the contract. Eager to make a good impression, then live of that reputation, then put in some performances to get your next pay day. I'd basically expect him to go back to being useless the second the contract is signed.

My opinion: He needs to be dropped for our benefit, and do something bordering on miraculous between now and the end of the season to make him worth signing.

5 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Just suggests he's only playing for the contract. Eager to make a good impression, then live off that reputation, then put in some performances to get your next pay day. I'd basically expect him to go back to being useless the second the contract is signed.

Bingo!

Edited by jimmygreaves
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Not sure should post, but just saw him filling up his Merc at a local petrol station. If attitude is anything to go by, I'm not surprised he is not performing. Blue tracky bottoms (Chelsea), spat on the floor in front of his car, then wondered around shopping without a mask, thinking he was the don, shocking. Hope this don't go no further.🤐

🤨 Don't worry. Won't tell anyone at all🤥

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

Not sure should post, but just saw him filling up his Merc at a local petrol station. If attitude is anything to go by, I'm not surprised he is not performing. Blue tracky bottoms (Chelsea), spat on the floor in front of his car, then wondered around shopping without a mask, thinking he was the don, shocking. Hope this don't go no further.🤐

These...?

chelsea-tapered-joggers-dark-blue_ss4_p-

On 22/02/2021 at 21:02, penguin said:

Bet we all gave you a load of shite for that original post as well at the time haha.

Personally, I hope it's not long before I get to do the " I've been a huge critic, but my god he was outstanding tonight " post.

Then quietly delete all the other ones if the form continues.

Not holding my breath though.

• Haha 1

Â