Ross Barkley

LondonLax

5 hours ago, QldVilla said:

Geez... a lot of people have changed their tune on Barkley since he was first rumoured to be joining the club.

Never been a fan of him, but not going to kick the lad while he’s down. He had a long injury lay-off and would have lost a lot of fitness. What has made it worse is Smith bringing him straight back into the squad, should have introduced him off the bench and got his minutes up slowly.

I think you’ll find the majority of the criticism here is exactly that he shouldn’t be starting.

Not his fault he’s getting picked.

But regardless of the reason he’s not performing, he should not be in the team right now.

Edited by Thug
Word error

I'm sorry this close to a potential European place for the first time in god knows how long, with a player that if he was willing to bust a gut could of had a part in stopping the maddison goal being played when not performing is mad. 1. For the likes of sansom and Ramsey its got to be a kick in the teeth he gets a place on merit. 2. If Smith is intent on signing him, taking him out the squad would be better then him costing us more maddison type goals and costing us Europe with dropped points, as the fans will detest him. 3. I'm not sure it is a bad attitude , I think he may be mentally shot. By which means ok a goal may get him back, or each bad performance could just make him worse and cost us points, rather than drop him and see if he has it in him to win a place back.

Looks like it's in his contract to play. I can't imagine any other reason to field an underperforming sulking no effort player that lose us points weekly. 

Brilliant work by AVFC. 

I like Deano, but that quote is lipstick on a pig. Complete car salesman pitch. 

• Like 1

Oh good, the clueless Dean is back, where giving the opposition 20 shots on target is OK, and Ross Barkley is playing well.  You'd have to be an absolute dunce to think that Barkley is in anyway doing OK.  Even worse, explicitly defending him after he's had two public strops at being subbed makes him look very weak.

2 hours ago, Farlz said:

I'd say it's extremely unlikely that he's dropped against Leeds.

His numbers have been good?

Is this a joke?

1 goal. 0 assists in 8 games post injury.

His numbers are shocking and his overall performances are shocking

I will be highly disappointed if he starts against Leeds tbh.Nothing personal with Ross of course,but since he has been back has not been Prem standard at all.

Lack of confidence? Something still niggling him? Who knows but maybe some time on the bench will help him.

Sanson in for me.

Edited by Big Salad

53 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Looks like it's in his contract to play. I can't imagine any other reason to field an underperforming sulking no effort player that lose us points weekly. 

Brilliant work by AVFC. 

I like Deano, but that quote is lipstick on a pig. Complete car salesman pitch. 

I don't believe this. 

I don't think it's even legally possible to have such a contract, but even if it were, managers understand how much football is a team game, and such clauses could guarantee players who are not even training seriously to be regulars, which could seriously fracture the dressing room and easily cost the manager their job. 

I think managers are smarter than that. 

I find it more likely that the coaching staff see something in Barkley that we don't, maybe it's a plan to get him back to fitness, maybe they think that even if unfit he can have a moment of brilliance that could win us a game.

And they may very well be wrong. 

35 minutes ago, cb_82 said:

Proof will be in the team selection, hes not going to hammer Barkley in public when there is quite obviously something wrong with him and his confidence

Exactly. Not sure what people are expecting him to say. "Yeah, Barclay is shit and I am going to drop the Representative for Wellingborough!", it's all about man management.

Clearly there is something wrong with Ross at the moment. I take his frustration at being subbed more as frustration with himself, he looked like a broken man to me rather than a petulant one. He is clearly not fit physically and I don't think he is right mentally at the moment. The time has certainly come to be dropped from the first team, he needs to be taken out of the firing line, perhaps a couple of appearances as an impact sub to get some confidence back (hopefully). 

I like him and he is a class player when on form, but he is too inconsistent for me to want us to spend £30m on him. I would seriously question £15m to be honest. Unless he has a remarkable turnaround we should move on. 

Edited by TheStagMan
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

Exactly. Not sure what people are expecting him to say. "Yeah, Barclay is shit and I am going to drop the Representative for Wellingborough!"

Could just admit that Barkley hasn't been performing as well as they'd hoped but they're working to change that or something along those lines. It doesn't have to be putting the player on blast but it doesn't have to be blind defense either.

2 minutes ago, WooJung said:

I don't believe this. 

I don't think it's even legally possible to have such a contract, but even if it were, managers understand how much football is a team game, and such clauses could guarantee players who are not even training seriously to be regulars, which could seriously fracture the dressing room and easily cost the manager their job. 

I think managers are smarter than that. 

I find it more likely that the coaching staff see something in Barkley that we don't, maybe it's a plan to get him back to fitness, maybe they think that even if unfit he can have a moment of brilliance that could win us a game.

And they may very well be wrong. 

I’m sure he’s capable of a moment of brilliance but at what cost? He’s costing us plenty of goals against at the moment, so it’s hard to believe that our coaching staff, that takes data analysis so seriously, will come to the conclusion that his overall contribution is anything even close to positive. 

I think we’ve gambled on him playing himself into form.

I always believed that he was a stopgap signing whilst the FFP numbers worked out. His was a signing that raised our profile and on form could help us on the pitch too. Sadly there’s not much sign of an on form Ross Barkley doing that. I’d be very disappointed if we don’t have a better use for £30m in the summer. 

• Thanks 1

I dont believe for one minute what some are suggesting about him having a clause in his contract that he must start games. Why would we go for this? Id be surprised if Chelsea insisted upon this. They hardly wanted him to begin with. He’s not some youth player from a big club going to get games in League One. If we are paying him 100 bags a week, im pretty sure we can decide when he plays. Leaves us open to playing someone who could be bang out of form every week, which I know, ironically we are doing right now 🤦‍♂️

The comments from Deano are worrying if he actually believes things are going well with Barkley. Hopefully just protecting him.

Its not working, if anything its hindering Ramseys development now. He deserves a run of games based purely on the cameo’s he’s been giving every time when called upon. Barkley can be used off the bench and he can get the 15-20mins to show his attitude is right and that he actually wants to be here because he’s stunk the place out more than once. He’s had enough chances to perform as a senior player and has showed next to nothing. Everyone has to earn their place, including Ross Barkley.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

His numbers have been good?

Is this a joke?

1 goal. 0 assists in 8 games post injury.

His numbers are shocking and his overall performances are shocking

Depends what he means by ‘numbers’. Journalist should have pushed Smith to expand on this. 

Â