Ross Barkley

LondonLax

1 hour ago, roonst83 said:

Do I think Barkley could be doing better? Yes. He looks slow on the ball and not aware of what’s around him too much and struggles to move the ball on at pace. However, a lot of the issue is with the fact we can’t get the ball to him higher up the pitch enough due to McGinn and Luiz getting overrun constantly in games. He’s a symptom of the overall issue which is our midfield not winning that midfield battle. 

He’s the main reason that our midfield getting overrun. 

To be fair both Luiz and McGinn were quite capable of being overrun without Ross in the team, both have been below par since the enforced Covid break and McGinn has been operating on a one good game in 5 basis since last season.

I know people don't rate Nakamba, but we need someone to do the simple things well to enable the others a bit more freedom to be creative.

Edited by VillanousOne
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, jimmygreaves said:

Isn't he part of the midfield which is getting overrun?

Suspicious Will Smith GIF

Yes.  And the fact he's not in there helping is an integral feature to its failure.  

He got plenty of ball in the Brighton game but it just kept bouncing off him!!!

40 minutes ago, jimmygreaves said:

Isn't he part of the midfield which is getting overrun?

Suspicious Will Smith GIF

Precisely. He’s a part of it. Yet he’s being labelled as the sole reason for our midfield issues which, in my opinion, he isn’t. 

McGinn is getting off very lightly with his performances as it’s easier to blame the high earning guy on loan. 

FWIW I’m absolutely not defending what I feel are poor recent performances by Barkley, I just think the whole midfield should be held accountable. 

• Like 1

I think his passing is really good, one of his best attributes. Last game he dropped deeper and had more of the ball, which was good. As he has so good technique and so good passing ability I want him to be more involved and have more impact on the game. For me I'm questioning his effort and attitude, not his ability. But as said before, hopefully it's just a matter of form and confidence and that he will turn it around soon.

41 minutes ago, jimmygreaves said:

The reason the midfield gets overrun is because at the moment we have 2 guys who have to pick up the slack of the 3rd guy who's not contributing.

Luiz and McGinn are admittedly struggling recently but both are still working, tackling, covering, putting in a shift.

Barkley is not and his lack of application goes a long way to explain our problems currently in midfield.

Can’t disagree about Barkley’s lack of application. I just think McGinn and Luiz have been let off too lightly. Put a hard working Ramsey in Barkley’s position (which I’m not against us doing atall) and I still think we get overrun the way McGinn and Luiz have been playing of late. 

We can’t  just blame Barkley for McGinn’s poor form, he’s well off his best with or without Barkley in the side and that’s hurting us, in my opinion, as much as Barkley’s poor performances.

• Like 1

Just watched the pre match dean interview and when questioned on barkley he said

If barkley had stayed on he'd of covered the most ground of any player on the pitch in the Leicester game.

I must of been watching a different game or barkley had a plan to run himself ragged in the last part of the game, cos the most I saw him move was when he did a circle of the pitch back to the dugout when subbed.

12 hours ago, VillanousOne said:

To be fair both Luiz and McGinn were quite capable of being overrun without Ross in the team, both have been below par since the enforced Covid break and McGinn has been operating on a one good game in 5 basis since last season.

I know people don't rate Nakamba, but we need someone to do the simple things well to enable the others a bit more freedom to be creative.

I rate Nakamba

9 minutes ago, Kbdrum88 said:

Just watched the pre match dean interview and when questioned on barkley he said

If barkley had stayed on he'd of covered the most ground of any player on the pitch in the Leicester game.

I must of been watching a different game or barkley had a plan to run himself ragged in the last part of the game, cos the most I saw him move was when he did a circle of the pitch back to the dugout when subbed.

This is why stats can be very misleading at times.

If Barkley really is getting the running numbers by strolling around casually on the pitch I don't give a crap.

It's about pressing with intensity. Making it difficult for the opponent being able to play. Winning the ball. He does none of that.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, villalad21 said:

This is why stats can be very misleading at times.

If Barkley really is getting the running numbers by strolling around casually on the pitch I don't give a crap.

It's about pressing with intensity. Making it difficult for the opponent being able to play. Winning the ball. He does none of that.

Fully agree, if jogging around slowly gets you good stats then those stats aren't worth much. As you say, what matters is the high intensity pressing at the right times, the bursts, the sprints, not the total distance you jogg.

Was looking through fbref and they recorded Barkley as having a very high amount of shot creating actions, but a low amount of goal creating actions. Meaning he's involved in creating a lot of shots for us, but a very high amount of those shots don't translate into goals. Wonder what explains that discrepancy. You don't see the same discrepancy in Grealish's and Traore's stats.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

6 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

People can stop going on about a clause now

Stupidest shit ever. Can you imagine having a clause that guarantees a player to start every game when fit? What if we had 4 games in 8 days?

The imaginary clause started as him playing every minute when fit. And then when he started getting subbed off it became 'starts every game'. Now today when he gets subbed on at the end the clause will be that he is guaranteed to play some part in every game when fit.

8 minutes ago, YouUnastanFren said:

Stupidest shit ever. Can you imagine having a clause that guarantees a player to start every game when fit? What if we had 4 games in 8 days?

The imaginary clause started as him playing every minute when fit. And then when he started getting subbed off it became 'starts every game'. Now today when he gets subbed on at the end the clause will be that he is guaranteed to play some part in every game when fit.

It’s because the clause says he can be dropped when playing in Yorkshire. 

• Haha 1

Â