1 hour ago, jimmygreaves said:

Ok....

In which games did he play well?

Liverpool 

Leicester

Leeds

Southampton

Arsenal

....then got injured and had been poor ever since.

I'd argue he played well in one of those matches listed above.

Why is this guy given so much leeway? People are still saying stuff like "he needs to get fit".

He's just not good enough and I don't think he ever has been.

Its the old Conor Hourihane test i use, that is "What if Conor Hourihane had put in that performance" Because with Conor you take out all the leeway they get for their name/reputation/caps for Brazil etc.

Take the game against Leicester for example, it would be "yeah but aside from the goal he was shit, not physical enough, too easy to play around. Lazy, bottler. Championship level" etc.

At best he has had two good games for us (good, not great) but you'd think he he'd been tearing up half the season before his injury the way people go on. The fitness thing is way overblown as well, I know he's a big lad but he isn't coming off a 12 month cruciate ffs.

Edited by villanmac
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, The Fun Factory said:

I love it that within about 3 months everyone has gone from sign him up to  send him back, he is a useless carthorse. And don't give me any revisionist rubbish, virtually everybody thought it was a blinding signing in September. 

That's completely antagonistic irrelevance. I buy a music CD on the basis I've heard good things about a band then the album is shite and I say so ..... no big deal.

Barkley has a CV featuring Everton, Chelsea and England so why shouldn't we have expected great things ?

• Like 1

I've stuck up for him but he's been woeful for weeks, and rather than playing himself into fitness he seems to have got worse with each game. Not sure if his heads gone but at this stage you have to wonder if he's finished as a force at the top level - starting to seem as though he might be another Jack Wilshere type, breaking onto the scene with lots of promise but losing something through injuries and never really kicking on.

39 minutes ago, useless said:

That article written by an Everton blog doesn't prove anything it's just one fan's opinion, you could equally find many Everton and Chelsea fans praising him throughout his spells with those clubs, indeed go back but a month and many Villa fans were praising him as well. Holding that article up as some sort of evidence just seems like confirmation bias to me.

Oh yh, you’re 100% right.

I mean, it doesn’t sound anything like the Ross Barkley that we’re seeing now.

All sounds total bullshit, you know, the part about him not competing for balls, watching the game go by.

Yh.  I’m with you on this one.  He’s fricking awesome. 

Needs an arm round him. Dean can probably do that. 

Looking at how Tuchel publicly threw his own player under the bus over the weekend (classless and won't end well), I can't imagine what Tuchel would be saying about Ross. And overall, it wouldn't be helpful. Some people need a rocket, whereas 'rockets' can often come over as bullying. Some (me included in my own workplace) need and thrive better with a different kind of encouragement. 

It's up to Dean just now to work out how to get the best out of Ross. There is a player there. 

• Like 3

He wouldn't frustrate me so much if he didn't show glimpses of just how good he can be. The thing is though, when you're playing alongside Watkins and Grealish who consistently show how good they can be and also work tirelessly, seeing him never busting a gut to reach either end of the pitch is infuriating. There was more than one occasion yesterday when a teammate ran past Barkley to try and win the ball back as he made his way. The guy has talent in spades and all the physical attributes he needs too, so whether it's attitude or confidence, something needs to change mentally in his game for him to be worth his place on the pitch, let alone trying to sign 

13 minutes ago, jimmygreaves said:

I honestly don't think there is.... 

Someone with 6 international goals in 33 international appearances. Someone with over 200 premier league appearances suggest to me that there's alot of people in football, who would know alot more than you and I, think there is a player in there.

2 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

Someone with 6 international goals in 33 international appearances. Someone with over 200 premier league appearances suggest to me that there's alot of people in football, who would know alot more than you and I, think there is a player in there.

....and yet he's still "underperforming"

It's not unheard of for players to make a career based on some unfounded reputation or players getting underserved caps because they play for a "big" club.... Football isn't the meritocracy it should be.

Edited by jimmygreaves

Just now, jimmygreaves said:

....and yet he's still "underperforming"

Just because he is doing that, doesn't mean there isn't a player in there.

I'll trust my own instincts and the knowledge of a large number of professional coaches over an internet forum poster on this one, i think.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

Just because he is doing that, doesn't mean there isn't a player in there.

I'll trust my own instincts and the knowledge of a large number of professional coaches over an internet forum poster on this one, i think.

Fair enough..... so using your instincts how many more chances should this guy get.

He's played well twice in 14 appearances for us.

3 minutes ago, jimmygreaves said:

Fair enough..... so using your instincts how many more chances should this guy get.

He's played well twice in 14 appearances for us.

Keep up, I agree he should be dropped. I've said so a number of times.

Just trying to counteract your overreaction.

8 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

Keep up, I agree he should be dropped. I've said so a number of times.

Just trying to counteract your overreaction.

Why is it an overreaction to point out that this guy has been rubbish in over 85% of the matches he's played in for us?

Edited by jimmygreaves

8 minutes ago, jimmygreaves said:

Why is it an overreaction to point out that this guy has been rubbish in over 85% of the matches he's played in for us?

I think it's an overreaction to say he's 'never been good enough' and 'theres not a player in there'

• Like 2

Geez... a lot of people have changed their tune on Barkley since he was first rumoured to be joining the club.

Never been a fan of him, but not going to kick the lad while he’s down. He had a long injury lay-off and would have lost a lot of fitness. What has made it worse is Smith bringing him straight back into the squad, should have introduced him off the bench and got his minutes up slowly.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

Geez... a lot of people have changed their tune on Barkley since he was first rumoured to be joining the club.

Never been a fan of him, but not going to kick the lad while he’s down. He had a long injury lay-off and would have lost a lot of fitness. What has made it worse is Smith bringing him straight back into the squad, should have introduced him off the bench and got his minutes up slowly.

What's this common sense approach you are using. 

• Like 1

If Barkley had have been as poor as some are making out we wouldn't be in the position we're in now, we're not good enough that we can carry players and still find ourselves eighth in table.

I think some people are measuring him against unrealistic expectations, he was never meant to be a 'legend' or some wonder player, he doesn't have to be those things to be a worthwhile loan for us this season, he just has to give us something we didn't have previously and help us improve, which as an whole he had done.

And just because an Everton fan wrote a negative article about him a couple of year back that doesn't make him a bad player either, even if currently he's playing poorly, we're also so not good that we can only have players in our team that have never been criticized before.

• Like 1

Totally agree, way too much criticism.

Barkley is trying to get his career back on track. The goal probably was to make the euros. But he has probably realised that he is way off. Which is why he looks so down at being subbed.

A little support from all of us is needed. IMO

1 hour ago, Paul33 said:

That's completely antagonistic irrelevance. I buy a music CD on the basis I've heard good things about a band then the album is shite and I say so ..... no big deal.

Barkley has a CV featuring Everton, Chelsea and England so why shouldn't we have expected great things ?

You buy CD'S?

• Haha 3

Â