Before he got injured? 

Ok....

In which games did he play well?

Liverpool 

Leicester

Leeds

Southampton

Arsenal

....then got injured and had been poor ever since.

I'd argue he played well in one of those matches listed above.

Why is this guy given so much leeway? People are still saying stuff like "he needs to get fit".

He's just not good enough and I don't think he ever has been.

12 hours ago, Thug said:

Here’s the misconception.

He’s still exactly the player he was.  If you go read the posts about him on toffeeweb Everton forums.. they had the exact same criticisms 4 years ago.  Then he moved to chelsea, and the same criticisms there.  And now at villa... 

https://www.toffeeweb.com/season/16-17/comment/fanscomment/33578.html

wow, that article is absolutely spot on......

Even the fan posts below the article tell a story of exactly what we are seeing now.

Edited by MaVilla

9 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

I love it that within about 3 months everyone has gone from sign him up to  send him back, he is a useless carthorse. And don't give me any revisionist rubbish, virtually everybody thought it was a blinding signing in September. 

100% great signing and first couple of matches he seemed to slot right in, we appeared to be fitter and faster, way more offensive but his form has been poor and a couple of others too have dropped, we now look half the team we were, so there's no issue with it looking like a good move that just isn't working out, sometimes they just don't work out.

15 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

I love it that within about 3 months everyone has gone from sign him up to  send him back, he is a useless carthorse. And don't give me any revisionist rubbish, virtually everybody thought it was a blinding signing in September. 

he was a blinding signing in the summer, no doubt, his ability on paper linked with the statement of intent to sign a player of his talent was a big thing for us, and still is to be honest (on paper).

the fact is though, that needed to transfer to the pitch, it clearly hasnt worked on the pitch, at all.

the article linked by Thug above sums it all up tbh, its exactly right, and was written 5 years ago.

Ross Barkley – Have we really got a diamond?

https://www.toffeeweb.com/season/16-17/comment/fanscomment/33578.html

Edited by MaVilla

23 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Yes correct, but any logical person does adjust their views / assumptions / opinions based on evidence.

Was Ross Barkley a big name that got us all excited, and did his debut goal seem to justify the excitement? Yes to both.

Has he been poor the majority of times, apart from 2 goals in games where he otherwise flattered to deceive? Also yes.

I also don't think his proclivity for throwing his toys out of the pram for very little reason represents the kind of attitude and behaviour we want to foster around the club.

You have to earn a little strop every now and then, and he hasn't.

Send him back.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That article written by an Everton blog doesn't prove anything it's just one fan's opinion, you could equally find many Everton and Chelsea fans praising him throughout his spells with those clubs, indeed go back but a month and many Villa fans were praising him as well. Holding that article up as some sort of evidence just seems like confirmation bias to me.

He can get better. He must get better. 

Do we need depth in our squad? Yes. Is there a place for him? Yes. 

But the kicker right now to me is that, despite me not watching yesterday, I've seen enough this year to say Ramsey can play a part. He's looked more composed and mature than I expected. So if Ramsey can fill in, a player we own and can develop. Why should Barkley keep his place when he's not ours and is consistently playing average. I'd honestly play both Ramsey and Sanson ahead of him, even if it's not ideal to rush Sanson into this league. 

He has played well for us but not very often.

For me the biggest issue is his lack of mobility (he looked like a carthorse at times on Sunday)

Against Leeds we need more than he can offer (at present) so it must be Ramsey or Sanson.

For me it would be Sanson to replace John McGinn in a deeper role and John McGinn in for Barkley further up the pitch.

35 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

My prediction is that he'll be dropped for the Leeds game and then, when the result is as poor without him, he'll get another shot.

I don’t think for a single second that our performance or results will be equally as poor if Ross Barkley is dropped. There are now other factors to consider, such as Cash & Grealish now being out of the team, that will inevitably influence performance and results. That aside, Villa will be a better unit with Ramsey or Sanson in for Barkley. With the injuries mentioned it requires Villa to become a bit more pragmatic, to do the basics very well and make sure they work as hard as any opposition. Ross Barkley doesnt give you that. The bulk of his displays have shown him to lose the ball relatively easily, and to not work hard to press and win balls back. Without Cash & Grealish in the team Villa cannot afford to carry anyone. We’ve been carrying Barkley for too many games now, and his petulant antics on the sideline when he has been subbed off just compound the problem. 
Make no mistake, Villa will be better at this point in time with Barkley out of the team. 

i think there is player there  but for me he just doesnt show it enough.

Can he pass a ball...yes

can he get a shot off...yes

I watch Barkley and see him do something and Im like go on..keep going...but then he just disappears...I want him to show what he can do but often left disappointed.  He has a chance to put himself in the shop window...not only for us..but for England...and hes not doing it.

I look at Lingard...taken it on...playing well....enjoying football.....done more in four or five games at West Ham than Barkley has in 18 plus...bit of a shame really 

3 minutes ago, MarkLillis said:

He has played well for us but not very often.

For me the biggest issue is his lack of mobility (he looked like a carthorse at times on Sunday)

Against Leeds we need more than he can offer (at present) so it must be Ramsey or Sanson.

For me it would be Sanson to replace John McGinn in a deeper role and John McGinn in for Barkley further up the pitch.

McGinn has been guilty of giving the ball away quite often of late, so you may be  right in putting him further up the pitch. My take, however, is that both McGinn and Douglas Luiz are under more pressure as a result of the players ahead of them not doing enough to press and slow down the ball coming back at us, they have less time to pick out forward passes. Barkley, and to some extent Traore, being in the team has resulted in less protection for our midfield. I think Sanson or Ramsey in for Barkley will instantly help, and we have Nakamba to come in at DM if we need some more energy. 

2 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

McGinn has been guilty of giving the ball away quite often of late, so you may be  right in putting him further up the pitch. My take, however, is that both McGinn and Douglas Luiz are under more pressure as a result of the players ahead of them not doing enough to press and slow down the ball coming back at us, they have less time to pick out forward passes. Barkley, and to some extent Traore, being in the team has resulted in less protection for our midfield. I think Sanson or Ramsey in for Barkley will instantly help, and we have Nakamba to come in at DM if we need some more energy. 

Agreed.

I don't think McGinn or Luiz have been at it at all recently but they're being hung out to dry by Barkley. So many teams play 3 in the middle now and we're being overrun constantly with Barkley's token press. Can't wait til Ramsey/Sanson are given a go.

Â