Ross Barkley

LondonLax

I'd rather take a chance with Traore, he's attack minded and is more of a threat. No offence to Conor but the opponent isn't worried about him, I hate playing 3 CMs and Trez as it means the other team can just double/triple up on Grealish like last season.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Paul33 said:

I think he'll fade to mediocrity

Your cynicism is stealing my heart, but I can't agree. His brain goes out the window from time to time, but he makes up for it with power and pace and a rocket of a shot.  He clicks well with Grealish, who personally wanted him at Villa, so that's good enough for me.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, AndyM3000 said:

I'd rather take a chance with Traore, he's attack minded and is more of a threat. No offence to Conor but the opponent isn't worried about him, I hate playing 3 CMs and Trez as it means the other team can just double/triple up on Grealish like last season.

True but the concern is that it leaves Cash hugely exposed as he doesn’t press or track back with any purpose in the two games I've seen. 

that may be that he isn’t 100% but it doesn’t really matter if the output is, if the opposition overload and attack down our right side we are screwed unless Cash has an absolute worldie performance.

it’s not fair on him either. unless you have McGinn on the right side and basically be the cover Traore won’t offer 

3 hours ago, AVFCforever1991 said:

Move Jack to #8 , Trez on the left and Traore on the right 

I think that is what we'll do. 
Again, McGinn will need to be disciplined if we're to win games. We'll be too open if both him and Grealish push forward. 

11 hours ago, kidlewis said:

True but the concern is that it leaves Cash hugely exposed as he doesn’t press or track back with any purpose in the two games I've seen. 

that may be that he isn’t 100% but it doesn’t really matter if the output is, if the opposition overload and attack down our right side we are screwed unless Cash has an absolute worldie performance.

it’s not fair on him either. unless you have McGinn on the right side and basically be the cover Traore won’t offer 

Grealish does the same thing in terms of tracking back, Targett has been left way too open at times this season. Flanks are an issue for sure though.

If Conor comes in and you have a midfield 3 then I'd actually drop Trez and put Traore on the other side and get the spare CM to help the fullbacks a bit more. 

We need to have more quality in attack and swapping Barkley for Conor really kills that, if Barkley is out we have to plug Traore in somehow IMO.

I actually reckon the triangle of Jack, Conor and Targett together on the left works well and one of our best attacking outlets.  Probably our best way of replacing Barkley imo.  I still think Conor is the best finisher in the squad, he just doesn't have much of an engine.

3 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

I actually reckon the triangle of Jack, Conor and Targett together on the left works well and one of our best attacking outlets.  Probably our best way of replacing Barkley imo.  I still think Conor is the best finisher in the squad, he just doesn't have much of an engine.

Better than Watkins?

19 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

Better than Watkins?

At the moment I'd say if I wanted the ball to drop to anyone's feet in the box I'd want it to be Hourihane but Watkins has had a promising start, obviously if he scores a load more goals then I'd have to change my mind on that.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, maqroll said:

Your cynicism is stealing my heart, but I can't agree. His brain goes out the window from time to time, but he makes up for it with power and pace and a rocket of a shot.  He clicks well with Grealish, who personally wanted him at Villa, so that's good enough for me.

I think hes also good for Watkins as well, thinking some do not realise how good Barkley is on that pitch for us. Alot of teams can't handle Barkley if you let him do his thing.

I tell you something when he limped off against Brighton, I have not felt such heart in a long time for a Villa Player as I did him, he was sitting down crying and upset bless. Because of his tears I think he has heart already with us and the fact if he had a choice I reckon hed want to stay.

I like Barkley as a person/character hes got personality.

Edited by Dave-R

Only 2 games would be the absolute best we could have hoped for after the way he went off. Silver linings I guess...

How we cope without him for those two games is very much open for debate. Any of the following, and probably more than one of them, are possible: Change formation,  change multiple player's positions, change the style of play.

Conor cannot come in and replace Barkley like for like. I don't think Traore can either. This is a huge blow and massively exposes are lack of depth. 

That said, we played very well without him at the start of the season so hopefully we can just revert back to that team and crack on where that team left off

10 hours ago, AVFCforever1991 said:

Move Jack to #8 , Trez on the left and Traore on the right 

I was very surprised this didn't happen when Dean made the substitution in the first place. Seems obvious to me. 

Edited by villa89

4 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

not a good trait for a midfield player....its one of the pre-requisites.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, AndyM3000 said:

Totally agree. I'll also add that West Ham are very strong aerially so set pieces and long balls won't give us much joy, which reduces Conor's effectiveness. 

8 minutes ago, TRO said:

not a good trait for a midfield player....its one of the pre-requisites.

It's not so much his engine, it's more his lack of pace, strength and aggression. Technique wise he is a good player. Good shooting and passing, set piece, just no physicality. Engine wise he.puts inn work but his powers of recovery aren't so good so he struggles with two games a week.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

It's not so much his engine, it's more his lack of pace, strength and aggression. Technique wise he is a good player. Good shooting and passing, set piece, just no physicality. Engine wise he.puts inn work but his powers of recovery aren't so good so he struggles with two games a week.

I watched Ward Prowse and Romeu against Wolves, not to mention against us.......foraging and ratting all over the park, can play a bit too........that's what central midfielders look like.

reminds me of Townsend and Richardson.....that's what we need.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

Another two losses coming then... hopefully that's it.

Newcastle and West Ham won't be pushovers, but if missing one player means we can't compete, we have no hope this season.

• Like 2

Â