Bertrand Traoré

Delphinho123

I don’t think he’ll get a start until we’ve lost a game, so in that respect I’m happy to wait as long as possible. 

On the other hand, once he’s properly integrated with team Traore’s gonna be a massive player for us. 

Hard to believe sometimes where we are now. A few short months ago I was ready to puke with nerves watching us draw with West Ham.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Awol said:

I don’t think he’ll get a start until we’ve lost a game, so in that respect I’m happy to wait as long as possible. 

That's pretty much my thinking as well. 

Trez has also settled by now, so it's no point rushing Traore in when Trez is doing well. That's kind of a perk you get by winning matches, i.e. keeping new signings out of the team until they are fit, settled and ready. 

• Like 1

On 18/10/2020 at 21:24, samjp26 said:

Seemed to have no problem making his way into a central role when Watkins went out side, offers a different dimension to our attack and I think we've seen nothing at all yet.

This could be an effective tactic.  If Watkins if drifting wide, he's likely dragging a central defender out of position and at the same time Traore drifting inwards demanding the attention of the left back you've potentially got a very disrupted defensive line with attackers all over the place. 

It's not often you've got a winger and a striker equally comfortable in either position. 

Edited by sidcow

22 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Agreed. 

Trez has been good so far this season. Workrate is phenomenal and he's improved a lot since last season.

But he is massively limited. I think traore will be in there when he's up to speed. He's got more about him.

Agree but nice to have the decision to make between the two.

• Like 1

The way Trez has really kicked on lately makes Traore a great option to have. As others have said, the two of them will suit different games more than each other. Amazing to have some really effective squad depth (albeit just in the one position for now!). Whilst I thought Trez was my MOTM on Sunday, I was impressed with the way BT played when he came on and gave us something a bit different.

• Like 1

Trezeguet and Traore are currently playing two totally different positions/roles. Trez has more or less played as one of the midfield three - tucked in to allow Cash to overlap. When he's playing that deep Barkley, Grealish, and Watkins are the front three. When Traore comes on Barkley tends to drop deeper and Traore then plays on the right of a front three much further up than Trez. They seem to do very different roles in the team.

2 minutes ago, El-Reacho said:

Trezeguet and Traore are currently playing two totally different positions/roles. Trez has more or less played as one of the midfield three - tucked in to allow Cash to overlap. When he's playing that deep Barkley, Grealish, and Watkins are the front three. When Traore comes on Barkley tends to drop deeper and Traore then plays on the right of a front three much further up than Trez. They seem to do very different roles in the team.

It's slightly ironic, but I wanted a hard working winger to compliment Grealish on the opposite side, i.e. Beckham/Giggs, Mahrez/Albrighton etc. And I was sure we needed to sign that player, and then Trez comes out on the pitch and basically performs to what was required. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

It's slightly ironic, but I wanted a hard working winger to compliment Grealish on the opposite side, i.e. Beckham/Giggs, Mahrez/Albrighton etc. And I was sure we needed to sign that player, and then Trez comes out on the pitch and basically performs to what was required. 

Makes me wonder who else from the squad has been somewhat written off in our minds but has potential to step up. It’s not totally unlike McGinn who many were calling for us to replace but who has been fit again and firing in every game this season. I think they have very different ceilings but the point is as our existing players have more time in the PL a few might surprise fans.

57 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

Makes me wonder who else from the squad has been somewhat written off in our minds but has potential to step up. It’s not totally unlike McGinn who many were calling for us to replace but who has been fit again and firing in every game this season. I think they have very different ceilings but the point is as our existing players have more time in the PL a few might surprise fans.

would still love it if El-Ghazi could surprise us

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

would still love it if El-Ghazi could surprise us

I said this the other day after seeing a clip of him in the Leicester pre-match thread. Was good to see him on the bench, suggests he’s not out of Smith’s thinking, but he faces a battle for sure.

• Like 1

its very early days. Liverpool used 24 different players in league games alone last year when they won the league (though three of those were young players getting run outs at the end of the season) so you can see how much of a squad competition the premier league is it is and how all of our senior players are liable to be called up at some point this season. Hopefully we can get to the stage where we can rotate a little bit just to keep the full squad match ready

57 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

I said this the other day after seeing a clip of him in the Leicester pre-match thread. Was good to see him on the bench, suggests he’s not out of Smith’s thinking, but he faces a battle for sure.

Battles are healthy.

If he sees what Trez has achieved by applying himself, then there’s no reason why he can’t do the same.  If he sees that Smith is not afraid to leave big signings on the bench, then there’s no reason why he can’t work his way in.

Hopefully this spurs him on to make himself better, with an increased work rate.

2 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

I guess the thing about Trez was that he was clearly trying his best,  and did so consistently. He also showed glimpses of ability.  Its just his best is now better than it was.

Not sure there is anyone else we've written off that has shown his level of desire consistently enough to belive they'll turn it around. That said, for those that feel he isn't good enough,  Guilbert would probably fall in that bracket, but I think he's already more than capable at present. 

As for AEG mentioned above,  his best is definitely good enough, but he rarely delivers it and it appears like he isn't anyways trying to deliver it. It amazes me how he can go from breaking his fast to play for us and deliver a man of the match performance in one of the most important games in recent history, to seemingly not interested at all. Something has dropped psychologically for him,  and I still hold a little bit of hope that he might turn it around. 

3 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

Makes me wonder who else from the squad has been somewhat written off in our minds but has potential to step up. 

Wes, Nakamba and Davis.  Would love to put El Ghazi on that list as he has all the tools, but I just don't see it coming together. Having said that, could never have imagined Trez performing like he is right now.  

57 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

I guess the thing about Trez was that he was clearly trying his best,  and did so consistently. He also showed glimpses of ability.  Its just his best is now better than it was.

Not sure there is anyone else we've written off that has shown his level of desire consistently enough to belive they'll turn it around. That said, for those that feel he isn't good enough,  Guilbert would probably fall in that bracket, but I think he's already more than capable at present. 

As for AEG mentioned above,  his best is definitely good enough, but he rarely delivers it and it appears like he isn't anyways trying to deliver it. It amazes me how he can go from breaking his fast to play for us and deliver a man of the match performance in one of the most important games in recent history, to seemingly not interested at all. Something has dropped psychologically for him,  and I still hold a little bit of hope that he might turn it around. 

It appears that way, but looks can deceive. I have no idea what sort of place he is in mentally at the moment, but I still have hopes that he can turn it around for himself and become an asset for us. Time will tell I suppose, because clearly it's not like he is an incapable player. There's definitely a player in there.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, useless said:

Scored for us alongside Taylor and Davis, in a 3-1 behind closed doors friendly win over West Brom according Ashley Preece.

shocked blunt talk GIF

3 hours ago, useless said:

Scored for us alongside Taylor and Davis, in a 3-1 behind closed doors friendly win over West Brom according Ashley Preece.

Oh My God Reaction GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I think Smith needs to adapt him, or atleast use him earlier in games. Last game he came and the whole team were in rush. Not more than 10 mins each game. Trezeguet done great in terms of workrate and defensive work but it's clear now that we need to have much creativity upfront. We'll face games like  last time being a goal or two behind. We can't keep Trez just for his work rate then.

11 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

I think Smith needs to adapt him, or atleast use him earlier in games. Last game he came and the whole team were in rush. Not more than 10 mins each game. Trezeguet done great in terms of workrate and defensive work but it's clear now that we need to have much creativity upfront. We'll face games like  last time being a goal or two behind. We can't keep Trez just for his work rate then.

Starting him against Leeds would have made no difference to the result.

Â