Emiliano Martínez

hippo

4 hours ago, Zatman said:

For me they are favourites as we stand. A lot can happen in 6 months, hoping Buendia can squeeze into the squad

For me as well. Can see an England v Argentina semi or final. No other nation is particularly impressing be tbh. Belgium and France seem to suffer from the same ego problem Man Utd have been struggling with. 

1 hour ago, Spoony said:

For me as well. Can see an England v Argentina semi or final. No other nation is particularly impressing be tbh. Belgium and France seem to suffer from the same ego problem Man Utd have been struggling with. 

Brazil have the best squad. But they’ve had that before and still not won, so no guarantees.

2 hours ago, Spoony said:

Already have my bet on Argentina they just have that look about them, it’s going to come down to who can handle the conditions best, so fingers crossed. They made Italy look ordinary today .

Well done Emi. 

14 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

I don’t follow?

I think it was just light hearted. He’s a big character and would probably not stop talking about it for the rest of the season, not that anybody would. They’d keep his feet on the ground.

Congrats Dibu.

From a Villa perspective, whilst it's pleasing seeing our players win honours on the international stage, it does make me wonder how soon before he starts to crave that feeling at club level.

We can't give him trophies or medals unfortunately, and believe me that's every bit as painful to type as it is to hear.

So long as our ambitions are simply "well, we hope to crack Europe, at some point", we're going to struggle to keep someone of Emi's class and ability IMO.

24 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Congrats Dibu.

From a Villa perspective, whilst it's pleasing seeing our players win honours on the international stage, it does make me wonder how soon before he starts to crave that feeling at club level.

We can't give him trophies or medals unfortunately, and believe me that's every bit as painful to type as it is to hear.

So long as our ambitions are simply "well, we hope to crack Europe, at some point", we're going to struggle to keep someone of Emi's class and ability IMO.

Good that he's just signed a 5 year deal then.

33 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Congrats Dibu.

Or flip it on its head and say at club level he can sit back and be happy rather than chase medals because he's getting medals at international level

Obviously don't know but he strikes me as the kind of guy who when he celebrates with the Argies knows villa played and play a big role in it

Argies winning and him not playing might be different 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

Gerrard better step it up this season.

Not a cat in hell’s chance we get 4th anytime soon, it’s a mountain to climb to get 6th without dropping £150-200 million on three new first team starters. De Vrij, Laimer, and Nunez and we might have a shot.

7 minutes ago, Awol said:

Not a cat in hell’s chance we get 4th anytime soon, it’s a mountain to climb to get 6th without dropping £150-200 million on three new first team starters. De Vrij, Laimer, and Nunez and we might have a shot.

I agree. But Europe at all probably tells him were still moving in the right direction and a 2027 contract probably helps us. If we're 9th-14th, I couldn't blame Emi for moving on.

7th-8th and a very good cup run? (Or a cup!?) Maybe we'll still have the discussion. The jump to 6th is massive but I can't blame Emi for exploring the idea after the World Cup and hope we're in a position to convince him his long term future remains here

Edited by HalfTimePost
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Brazil have the best squad. But they’ve had that before and still not won, so no guarantees.

Brazil squad looking very strong currently.

Thiago Silva plays like he's 28 and was managing games every 3 days no problem back end of the season. Casemiro great in CL final and Vinicius really stepped up in last 12 months. Tournament right part of the year for Neymar aswell before his annual Feb injury...

Brazil probably got strongest spine of any going into the tournament.

If he gives us this the world cup season and the one after that I would be more than satisfied. Gives us ample time to scout a replacement and we will make a massive profit given the long term deal we just signed. The fact is until we up our revenue streams we will need to sell a player every now and then to fund our ambition. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

If he gives us this the world cup season and the one after that I would be more than satisfied. Gives us ample time to scout a replacement and we will make a massive profit given the long term deal we just signed. The fact is until we up our revenue streams we will need to sell a player every now and then to fund our ambition. 

I think he’ll go next summer. We’ll get a big fee, the world will keep turning. He’s had a very average season for us. He needs to have a good season next season if he has those aspirations. 

• Like 1

Â