Emiliano Martínez

hippo

3 hours ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Looking at this season’s xGA stats the most striking thing is Wolves. Their xGA is 55 but they’ve only conceded 40.

That’s an insane difference — if Jose Sa had conceded as many goals as he ”should” have, Wolves would currently only have 40 points and be 15th in the league table instead of 8th.

For Martinez the difference between conceded goals and xGA is small. Our outfield players however have outperformed their xG by about 7 goals.

The expected expected goals stat is flawed. Most of those one on one's that Ings wasted recently by failing to shoot count for 0 xg because he didn't actually get a shot away.

Taking this into account we're probably about where we should be for goals scored. But Martinez has definitely made fewer world class saves this season. The fact he's close to level suggests he's doing fine, and we all know he's capable of better.  And he's carrying an injury for however long lately. He owes Mings a big pat on the back for not conceding 2 against Burnley though. 

2 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

I know it seems like he's rested himself for Italy v Argentina on Wednesday but should we be worried about him resting himself?

His contract is brand new, somebody reassure me 🤣

He’s off apparently as Gerrard wants to bring in Jerzy Dudek.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

I know it seems like he's rested himself for Italy v Argentina on Wednesday but should we be worried about him resting himself?

His contract is brand new, somebody reassure me 🤣

He loves playing for his country and wants to play there rather than a nothing game for us where he’ll likely have lots to do?

Cant say I blame him tbh.

NGL I'm a touch frustrated at how often this has happened with him. I do understand it and I suppose I would probably do the same thing if it were me. But as a fan it's annoying for one of our top players and leaders to be missing again this season due to prioritising national games

I’m sorry it’s a league game, league cup maybe but unless he’s carrying in injury it’s a disgrace.

Luckily for us almost all results went against us today, but it was worth up to £8m in prize money for us at kick off. 

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Surely he was injured.

This. There is no way the club allow him not to prioritise a league match under contract and on massive money. 

And if he did make himself unavailable for whatever reason other than an injury, I expect him to be sold in the Summer.

12 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

This. There is no way the club allow him not to prioritise a league match under contract and on massive money. 

And if he did make himself unavailable for whatever reason other than an injury, I expect him to be sold in the Summer.

But didn't the same thing happen early on in the season, where we allowed him to prioritise country over club? 

I'm irritated by this. A player's priority should lie, first and foremost, with the club that's paying his wages.

Maybe that's just me having very weak patriotic inclinations, but I feel it should go without saying.

Didnt Gerrard say if he had his way he would have played.  Probably is carrying an injury but would have played but for the Argentina game. Anyway no big deal. It was a good experience for Olsen

10 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

What if your national manager was Southgate? 

Moot point.

If I was a World renowned Goalkeeper, coming off a FIFA nomination for The Best Goalkeeper in 2021... Southgate would still choose Pashun Pickford over me.

Edited by HalfTimePost
  • Haha 1

Blokes played all season with tendonitis and literally no off season, if he needed a rest and wasn’t quite right why risk it. 

Edited by gwi1890
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Clean sheet and win in the Finalissima, he will be a happy man to add another medal to collection

Him in goal and Messi creating like tonight, plus a non-European World Cup, I wouldn't bet against Emi getting the full collection in a couple of years all since joining us.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Him in goal and Messi creating like tonight, plus a non-European World Cup, I wouldn't bet against Emi getting the full collection in a couple of years all since joining us.

For me they are favourites as we stand. A lot can happen in 6 months, hoping Buendia can squeeze into the squad

• Like 1

Â