Emiliano Martínez

hippo

Emi is living the dream with breaking in to Argentina first team, lifting the Copa America and now heading into a World Cup as one of the favourites. All of this was achieved playing for villa so I think he can appreciate how good this move has been for him and won’t want to leave yet. Next year he might start think about reaching the top tiers of club football but hopefully we can progress in line with his ambition. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, mikeyjavfc said:

Emi is living the dream with breaking in to Argentina first team, lifting the Copa America and now heading into a World Cup as one of the favourites. All of this was achieved playing for villa so I think he can appreciate how good this move has been for him and won’t want to leave yet. Next year he might start think about reaching the top tiers of club football but hopefully we can progress in line with his ambition. 

I think he will want to play Champions League at some point, he's only 29 so still has time.  If we don't start progressing towards Europe I can see him moving on in a couple of seasons.

27 minutes ago, duke313 said:

I think he will want to play Champions League at some point, he's only 29 so still has time.  If we don't start progressing towards Europe I can see him moving on in a couple of seasons.

He has already played Champions League and has a clean sheet in it 

He will be fine 😜

If we don't qualify for Europe next season then perhaps he will rethink his future?

I also agree Argentina must be favourites, with France as outside bets.

Would love Emi Martinez to win the World Cup as a Villa player!

Do we think he could be Captain for us next season, I seem to be thinking that is likely?

3 hours ago, mikeyjavfc said:

thats where im at too, if he's winning trophies at international level then maybe he can just afford to concentrate on his own happiness at club level and i do think he likes it here

add to that the GK market isnt really there, there's very few teams that need a top keeper and those that do we should be able to scare off with a £75m+ price tag, de gea just won utd's player of the year and will get a new contract so bar spurs who wont spend that money no one big enough in the PL needs a keeper any time soon and im confident we could keep him away from newcastle, leaves the likes of juve and inter who havent got that kind of money 

I'm hoping that if he's settled, playing well and playing internationally that might just be enough to keep him (if we don't get into Europe).

With how he talks about his past loans and playing time, how unhappy he was at certain points, maybe playing and being happy is his main goal? Do you move and potentially have it not work out? Or stay where you and your family are finally settled whilst hitting certain career targets?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Newry_Villan said:

If any of the top 6 do come in for him then it's just to weaken us as they won't have any need for him.  

Not right now, but you don't know what the situation will be like in a couple of seasons.  

9 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

He's a lot younger than Lloris

Maybe but something about signing a goalkeeper who cried with pride for his love of Arsenal when that might irk Spurs fans 😛

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Maybe but something about signing a goalkeeper who cried with pride for his love of Arsenal when that might irk Spurs fans 😛

Bayern will also need a keeper soon, Neur is 36.  All it will take is for one big club to need a GK and will spark the goalkeeper merry-go-round.

1 hour ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

If we don't qualify for Europe next season then perhaps he will rethink his future?

I also agree Argentina must be favourites, with France as outside bets.

Would love Emi Martinez to win the World Cup as a Villa player!

Do we think he could be Captain for us next season, I seem to be thinking that is likely?

well it won't be us, with cautious Gus.

His use of Grealish, is laughable.

5 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Bayern will also need a keeper soon, Neur is 36.  All it will take is for one big club to need a GK and will spark the goalkeeper merry-go-round.

He isnt good enough with his feet to play for that elite level of team. He has other attributes that make him perfect for us but not for the very top teams 

Just now, Zatman said:

He isnt good enough with his feet to play for that elite level of team. He has other attributes that make him perfect for us but not for the very top teams 

Maybe not the likes of Bayern, City or Liverpool, but he's good enough to play for the likes of Atletico, Juve, Milan or Inter.

32 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Where are you getting that figure from?

right now, as he just signed a 5 year deal, probably £70m is right for an argentine no1 and a top PL keeper in peak age. 

Next season that will be £50m.

Season after, probably much lower - he will be 32 but we would not have to sell as he would still have 3 years remaining.

If he stays long term - great. If he doesn't, we are getting the big bucks. 

16 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Maybe not the likes of Bayern, City or Liverpool, but he's good enough to play for the likes of Atletico, Juve, Milan or Inter.

All them except Juventus have probably better or just as good keepers now though Onana at Inter will be interesting 

2 hours ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

I'm hoping that if he's settled, playing well and playing internationally that might just be enough to keep him (if we don't get into Europe).

With how he talks about his past loans and playing time, how unhappy he was at certain points, maybe playing and being happy is his main goal? Do you move and potentially have it not work out? Or stay where you and your family are finally settled whilst hitting certain career targets?

Every single interview I've seen with him - whether Villa official or elsewhere - he basically can't speak highly enough of being at Villa.

I'd be amazed if anyone matched our valuation of him and amazed if he actively pushed for a move elsewhere.

1 hour ago, TRO said:

well it won't be us, with cautious Gus.

His use of Grealish, is laughable.

No it's definitely fair to say Emi Martinez won't win a World Cup with England ;)

Â