Odsonne Edouard

ramshackler

2 hours ago, rayk said:

No he didn’t, Celtic just didn’t pay what Hibs wanted. We did and so he signed for us.

Given his family links to Celtic, absolutely no way he’d have chosen us over Celtic.

I don’t think I can think of a single example of a player who would choose either Old Firm team over any PL team with the way things are right now. Which is its own sad story about money in modern football.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rayk said:

I’m not after a ding dong, it’s just people don’t seem to like me saying SJM would have gone to Celtic had their offer been acceptable.

👍

Even if Celtic had matched our offer they would never have paid the wages we have paid him.

It's a capitalist market, if Man city or Chelsea come knocking then Grealish is off. 

One thing's for sure Edouard is leaving Celtic this window, not sure it will be to us as other clubs have as much financial power and are more likely to challenge for Europe.  

20 minutes ago, tinker said:

Even if Celtic had matched our offer they would never have paid the wages we have paid him.

It's a capitalist market, if Man city or Chelsea come knocking then Grealish is off. 

One thing's for sure Edouard is leaving Celtic this window, not sure it will be to us as other clubs have as much financial power and are more likely to challenge for Europe.  

I’m still not sure SJM would have come to Villa vs Celtic given we were Championship and they were in Europe, especially his family connections but happy to disagree.

You’re point about City or Chelsea come knocking for Grealish I’m not so sure about either. Firstly they would have to cough up £80m, and then you’d also have to consider Jack’s feelings. If we went out there and bought Edouard, Benrahma and a decent RW and Jack got to play for England then I think he would probably stay.

Edited by rayk

21 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

"Aston Villa will bid £30m bid for Celtic's French striker Odsonne Edouard, 22. (The Scottish Sun)"

This looks like done deal, no poised, no considering, no weighing up, straight in bosh🤣

I hope so. Leicester are our biggest rivals. Maybe we’re trying to get in there first before they sp*nk their cash from Chilwell?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rayk said:

I hope so. Leicester are our biggest rivals. Maybe we’re trying to get in there first before they sp*nk their cash from Chilwell?

They are a league above us these days (unless you mean rivals specifically for Edouard)

1 hour ago, weedman said:

To everyone listing out successful players that have come from Scotland, no-one is saying "there are no good players in Scotland", people are saying it's such an awful league that signing a player from there represents a huge risk becsuse you have no idea if they'll make the step up.

I'm sure there are good players in Scotland, but I'm sure there are good players in League 1 as well, and if we spunked £30m on them we'd all be a bit worried wouldn't we? 

The risk for Edouard is mitigated a bit by his France u21 record, but £30m is an awful lot of money for someone who scored a lot of goals in a league where Scott Sinclair was basically Neymar

People are acting like sinclair was rubbish but you are forgetting the fact that sinclair was always a flat track bully. He scored the basically the same number of goals in the championship as he did in the spl and in the spl he was in a better team against worse opposition.

And for us he had played 19 times in the previous 3 seasons including 9 games for us so it is likely he wasn't match fit and was in the worst team in the league. Also for celtic he clearly hit a purple patch because he got 21 goals in his first season but only 10 in his 2nd on the same number of games. 

The difference is Edouard is clearly their best player and has been involved in 35% of their 131 goals thus season (in all comps) through either a goal or assist plus provably a whole lot more due to his link up play and his own shots or pass to assists. Sinclair was just piggy backing on a better team. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Spoony said:

They are a league above us these days (unless you mean rivals specifically for Edouard)

The thread is about Edouard, Rodgers bought Edouard whilst at Celtic.....so yes it was specifically about Edouard. 👍

8 hours ago, rayk said:

I’m still not sure SJM would have come to Villa vs Celtic given we were Championship and they were in Europe, especially his family connections but happy to disagree.

You’re point about City or Chelsea come knocking for Grealish I’m not so sure about either. Firstly they would have to cough up £80m, and then you’d also have to consider Jack’s feelings. If we went out there and bought Edouard, Benrahma and a decent RW and Jack got to play for England then I think he would probably stay.

He did join us over Celtic........If someone offers you double the money then you go, Chelsea and City would pay the £80m and more if they wanted Jack, they obviously don't.

I like the notion of loyalty to home clubs and all that but the realities of the game shows us it's mostly fantasy, The last player to stay or join a club for the love of it was? 

2 minutes ago, tinker said:

He did join us over Celtic........If someone offers you double the money then you go, Chelsea and City would pay the £80m and more if they wanted Jack, they obviously don't.

I like the notion of loyalty to home clubs and all that but the realities of the game shows us it's mostly fantasy, The last player to stay or join a club for the love of it was? 

Off the top of my head possibly Shearer to Newcastle and of course Matt LeTiss. However back then the money was merely very good and not eye watering. Plus I believe LeTis has quite a bit of personal wealth behind him. 

The big one though is our very own Jack. I’m sure if he’d have been at another club in our position he’d probably have left by now. Let’s hope he continues to want to stay and we can give him reasons to want to stay in his head and not just his heart  

8 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

People are acting like sinclair was rubbish. 

Because he was. We all could witness it.  In the SPL he scored 21, 10 and 9 goals from the wing. In the championship he recently scored 3 goals and before that had one season 10 years ago with 19 goals, and before that 0, 3 and 2 goals.

When a player of that caliber can show up in the SPL and score double digits each season from the wing, it kinda tells you how bad that league is. I bet you we could sell them Scott Hogan and he'd get double digits up there right away. 

And this is why it's sensible to consider that Edward/Eduoard or whatever his name is, won't be the quality people expect when you push him into the toughest league in the world. And why it's okey to be vary about paying £30-40 million for him. 

I'll trust those who has watched him more than me, but personally I get Kodjia vibes off him and I'd be surprised if he was the success here people want him to be. 

Either way, lets just hope Deano gets the players he wants irrespective of who they are. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara
  • Like 1

I watch quite a bit of Scottish football as it is usually an early kick off on the Sunday and there is bugger all on.

He isnt a 30m player and I do doubt whether he had the capabilities to play in the PL. Good player but quite slow, lethargic and ponderous.

I wouldn't mind it but even in today's market 30m is stupid money.

1 hour ago, DaveAV1 said:

Off the top of my head possibly Shearer to Newcastle and of course Matt LeTiss. However back then the money was merely very good and not eye watering. Plus I believe LeTis has quite a bit of personal wealth behind him. 

The big one though is our very own Jack. I’m sure if he’d have been at another club in our position he’d probably have left by now. Let’s hope he continues to want to stay and we can give him reasons to want to stay in his head and not just his heart  

Tis is my favourite player but it's not quite true about him being loyal, he tried to force a move to Spurs but it fell through and it was hushed. 

1 hour ago, tinker said:

How could he join us over Celtic when Hibs hadn’t accepted any of the offers from Celtic because they were too low?

He could only have joined us ‘over Celtic’ had Hibs accepted offers from both us and Celtic and he chose us.

But that’s not what happened.

5 minutes ago, rayk said:

How could he join us over Celtic when Hibs hadn’t accepted any of the offers from Celtic because they were too low?

He could only have joined us ‘over Celtic’ had Hibs accepted offers from both us and Celtic and he chose us.

But that’s not what happened.

Jeez, you are still going! From thread to thread....😂😂😂

35 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Sinclair was pretty rubbish for us, but then the e whole squad was rubbish at that time. If I remember correctly, Sinclair had a pretty decent career in England before joining us.

he was a good prospect at chelsea being loaned out everywhere, he was great at Swansea, then he ticked the English box at man city and earned his fortune, found himself his big boobed TV star missus and then ended up at us...his problem for us was that he was shite as a result of taking his £60k a week and not giving two ****, he was a bottler, phoned in way too many performances and was a bit of an all round wet lettuce, so maybe he wasn't a terrible footballer he was just a massive dick, another completely avoidable bad villa transfer

he's still only 31 and he's an average championship player

• Like 1

Â