Odsonne Edouard

ramshackler

1 minute ago, Mazrim said:

You cannot claim that. And I completely disagree. He would and does earn way more money at Villa than he ever would at Celtic for one thing.

It’s my view, you have yours. That’s cool.

3 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Still would have been their highest earner and the "would and does" in the post you quoted is quite relevant. 

You have absolutely no way of knowing that.

SJM is great, but I’m not naive enough to think he’d have chosen Villa in the Championship over Celtic.

*Besides this is off topic....what do you think of Edouard?*

Edited by rayk

Just now, sidcow said:

I've said it once and I'll say it again. 

If McGinn had wanted to go to Celtic he would have ignored our offer and forced through a move to Celtic. 

He definitely had a decision to make and he chose us. 

The selling club cannot force a player to go to the club they prefer. They can accept our bid and then it's down to the player to decide if he wants to go there. 

If McGinn had wanted to go to Celtic he would have turned us down and told Hibs he wants to go to Celtic. 

They either then try for the best fee they can get from Celtic or have a very unhappy player on their books and no transfer fee at all. 

McGinn chose us over Celtic, make no mistake about that. 

Spot on.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I've said it once and I'll say it again. 

If McGinn had wanted to go to Celtic he would have ignored our offer and forced through a move to Celtic. 

He definitely had a decision to make and he chose us. 

The selling club cannot force a player to go to the club they prefer. They can accept our bid and then it's down to the player to decide if he wants to go there. 

If McGinn had wanted to go to Celtic he would have turned us down and told Hibs he wants to go to Celtic. 

They either then try for the best fee they can get from Celtic or have a very unhappy player on their books and no transfer fee at all. 

McGinn chose us over Celtic, make no mistake about that. 

But it’s like the Rashica situation in a way, Celtic (just like RBL) trying to get a player on the cheap and his club rejecting those low offers.

In the end, we were the only offer on the table for SJM.

Im not doubting his loyalty or commitment during his time at Villa, but he’d have gone to Celtic pure and simple had their offer been accepted.

From memory I think we only got alerted about his availability because of all the failed Celtic offers.

9 minutes ago, rayk said:

You have absolutely no way of knowing that.

SJM is great, but I’m not naive enough to think he’d have chosen Villa in the Championship over Celtic.

*Besides this is off topic....what do you think of Edouard?*

You can get a pretty good idea of what his and their wages were by Googling it. They obviously won't be exact but if it puts Celtic's highest earner at the time at £25k/week and McGinn's at £40k/week than that is some idea. 

I never said the second bit. 

Don't know much about Edouard, but I'll be excited if we buy him because he's so hyped and I'm a simple man. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

You can get a pretty good idea of what his and their wages were by Googling it. They obviously won't be exact but if it puts Celtic's highest earner at the time at £25k/week and McGinn's at £40k/week than that is some idea. 

I never said the second bit. 

Don't know much about Edouard, but I'll be excited if we buy him because he's so hyped and I'm a simple man. 

Googling lol?

So why the debate on wages?

9 minutes ago, rayk said:

But it’s like the Rashica situation in a way, Celtic (just like RBL) trying to get a player on the cheap and his club rejecting those low offers.

Im not doubting his loyalty or commitment during his time at Villa, but he’d have gone to Celtic pure and simple had their offer been accepted.

From memory I think we only got alerted about his availability because of all the failed Celtic offers.

Yes, it's exactly like Rachica (if report's are to be believed which I don't think they are) 

Players are the only ones who decide where they go.

If not Rashica would be our player now because we've offered the biggest fee. But it sounds like he wants to go to RB. 

He MAY be happy to stay at WB but if his heart is set on a move away, and he won't come to us then eventually WB will be forced to accept a lower fee from RBL. They would prefer he came to us for a bigger fee, but if he won't they keep him or sell him to the next highest bidder. 

If he genuinely tells them he wants to go to RBL and nowhere else, they  just end up accepting a lower figure from RBL than we offered them. 

If McGinn had turned us down and said he wanted Celtic Hibs would have negotiated whatever they could get from Celtic.

In McGinns case he definitely wanted a move so this is what would have happened. 

Both clubs might not have been happy about it but player power is absolute.  You can't just tell them you have negotiated a massive transfer fee with X club so that is where they are going.  The player always decide where they go (if they are wanted in more than 1 place). 

Obviously the current club can just hold them to their contract but they rarely do because they end up with an unhappy player and no fee at all. 

Edit - your post is also inconsistent. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

Just now, rayk said:

Googling lol?

So why the debate on wages?

I'll make this my last post as you always seem to just be looking for a fight with someone or another. 

Half of our players will be on more than Celtics highest earner. Its not that insane to assume earning potential is therefore higher at Aston Villa. 

Just now, Sam-AVFC said:

I'll make this my last post as you always seem to just be looking for a fight with someone or another. 

Half of our players will be on more than Celtics highest earner. Its not that insane to assume earning potential is therefore higher at Aston Villa. 

I’m not after a ding dong, it’s just people don’t seem to like me saying SJM would have gone to Celtic had their offer been acceptable.

👍

No matter what we might think about the quality of the Premiership, our recruitment staff should be able to identify a player who is worth signing, whether he is playing in Scotland, the Championship or League One.

As it is, this striker is the best player, that the best team in Scotland have. If we decide to buy him, I would give us the benefit of any doubt, that he will prove to be worth, whatever we may choose to pay for him.

New signings don't always come off, as has been proven before at Villa Park. There is no guarantee that we would be signing an Andy Gray, rather than a Bosko Balaban. That's the risk that is taken with every signing we make. A proven PL playing history should reduce the risk of signing a dud, as should the quality of the decision making by our recruitment staff. If he signs, then we can but hope that it proves to be money well spent. One thing we all know, is that we need a goalscorer, whether it is him, or someone else that we sign. 

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, rayk said:

So, basically you are saying we are going to sign Rashica then. Excellent.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, rayk said:

I’m not after a ding dong, it’s just people don’t seem to like me saying SJM would have gone to Celtic had their offer been acceptable.

👍

Because its just bollocks. Not because its the awkward truth. McGinn was too good for the SPL. Bigger challenge, more money. Easy choice.

Which he made, clearly. If he wanted Celtic, he would have made it happen.

• Like 1

To everyone listing out successful players that have come from Scotland, no-one is saying "there are no good players in Scotland", people are saying it's such an awful league that signing a player from there represents a huge risk becsuse you have no idea if they'll make the step up.

I'm sure there are good players in Scotland, but I'm sure there are good players in League 1 as well, and if we spunked £30m on them we'd all be a bit worried wouldn't we? 

The risk for Edouard is mitigated a bit by his France u21 record, but £30m is an awful lot of money for someone who scored a lot of goals in a league where Scott Sinclair was basically Neymar

• Thanks 1

I have my doubts about him; the level of defending in the Scottish PL is, I feel, lower than Championship standard. That said, he is highly rated and we're limited on who we can buy in terms of wage demands, fee and general appeal versus the competition further up the table. 

We will have to accept that a gamble is pretty much all we can do this season and maybe Odsonne is the least "gambly" option we have. If the dubious link proves correct,  fingers are crossed he works out

Edited by MrBlack

I've seen enough to think its worth going for him but it is definitely a risk. All players are though I guess.

Strength is strength, accuracy is accuracy, awareness is... well you get the picture. He clearly has a lot of attributes that are going to work in any league.

Â