Odsonne Edouard

ramshackler

1 hour ago, sparrow1988 said:

You're having a laugh aren't ya? I'd say it was more the lucrative contracts which made him stay.

Oh I get how this game works. I suggest a player and you shoot down the reason why they stayed with a club as anything other than loyalty or love. Here's some more, then:

- Tim Cahill

- Gabby Agbonlahor

- John Terry

- Mark Noble

1 minute ago, ozvillafan said:

Oh I get how this game works. I suggest a player and you shoot down the reason why they stayed with a club as anything other than loyalty or love. Here's some more, then:

I always had my doubts over Terry, same as Rooney when he got linked to man city, always stunk of his agent floating some fake news about in order to get a better deal, they were never joining man city

• Like 1

Think we need a notification on a thread when there is something of note been written, like a link to a close person of player quote, a contract signed or a photo of the player with a Villa person doing a deal.  

Feels like the threads are just arguing whether we are interested in a player or not, whether they are interested or not and bizarrely about current players whether they would've gone elsewhere.  Maybe my memory is going but I dont remember threads being like this in previous years.....obviously people saying X player is too good for us or we should be after somebody better but the dimension and ferocity of the discussion of these topics has taken a new edge this close season not only with length of threads but also over reaction to each others posts.  You have to go 20 or 30 pages before anything of note/new is said.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

- Tim Cahill

- Gabby Agbonlahor

- John Terry

- Mark Noble

Were the top two genuinely approached by anyone else? John Terry was at a team winning leagues and cups. Mark Noble is probably a good comparison, rejected Tottenham, although at the time they were finishing in 5th or below, so not exactly a massive guaranteed step up. 

As for Gerrard, it was almosy certainly the combination of death threats and money that changed his mind, with a bit of loyalty.

There are very few examples, but they do exist, and Grealish is very much an exception with his love for Villa. If we give him a GOOD reason to stay, he will, I think even if one if the very top teams come in for him.  If anyone other than a very top team comes in I dont see him listening regardless.

Edit: Odsonne has no loyalty to Celtic so this is way off topic...how did we get here?

Edited by MrBlack
off topic
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, MrBlack said:

Were the top two genuinely approached by anyone else? John Terry was at a team winning leagues and cups. Mark Noble is probably a good comparison, rejected Tottenham, although at the time they were finishing in 5th or below, so not exactly a massive guaranteed step up. 

As for Gerrard, it was almosy certainly the combination of death threats and money that changed his mind, with a bit of loyalty.

There are very few examples, but they do exist, and Grealish is very much an exception with his love for Villa. If we give him a GOOD reason to stay, he will, I think even if one if the very top teams come in for him.  If anyone other than a very top team comes in I dont see him listening regardless.

Aye - they are rare. I had to think hard to come up with some examples. And I agree with you on Grealish.

10 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

Aye - they are rare. I had to think hard to come up with some examples. And I agree with you on Grealish.

We have had a few, loyal souls.....Gary Shaw, Brian Little, Gabby, Nigel Spink....to name a few and many of the Euro cup team frequent villa park on match day and live local, sutton coldfield usually.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Because he was. We all could witness it.  In the SPL he scored 21, 10 and 9 goals from the wing. In the championship he recently scored 3 goals and before that had one season 10 years ago with 19 goals, and before that 0, 3 and 2 goals.

When a player of that caliber can show up in the SPL and score double digits each season from the wing, it kinda tells you how bad that league is. I bet you we could sell them Scott Hogan and he'd get double digits up there right away. 

And this is why it's sensible to consider that Edward/Eduoard or whatever his name is, won't be the quality people expect when you push him into the toughest league in the world. And why it's okey to be vary about paying £30-40 million for him. 

I'll trust those who has watched him more than me, but personally I get Kodjia vibes off him and I'd be surprised if he was the success here people want him to be. 

Either way, lets just hope Deano gets the players he wants irrespective of who they are. 

I haven’t seen Edouard at all so I can’t comment on his play, but what Kenji says here is correct. Hogan would easily score 20+ for Celtic. So would pretty much any striker playing now in the PL or Championship. The challenge is to work out whether the player bagging all those goals is a Henrik Larsson who could do it anywhere, or a Kris Boyd, Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink etc. You just can’t do that as fans until they are playing in the PL, and that’s why a £30m signing is definitely a risk. It doesn’t mean he wouldn’t succeed - he might come in and tear the league apart - but you just don’t know.

40 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

- Tim Cahill - haven't a clue

- Gabby Agbonlahor - definitely loved the club and stayed. Were there ever definitive offers? I don't know.

- John Terry - winning all the trophies that there are to win in addition to the accordingly handsome salary helped. When linked to other clubs, it was probably just to get a better deal.

- Mark Noble - haven't a clue.

It's not a game that's just my opinion on Gerrard.

Anyway, my responses above.

1 minute ago, Adam2003 said:

I haven’t seen Edouard at all so I can’t comment on his play, but what Kenji says here is correct. Hogan would easily score 20+ for Celtic. So would pretty much any striker playing now in the PL or Championship. The challenge is to work out whether the player bagging all those goals is a Henrik Larsson who could do it anywhere, or a Kris Boyd, Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink etc. You just can’t do that as fans until they are playing in the PL, and that’s why a £30m signing is definitely a risk. It doesn’t mean he wouldn’t succeed - he might come in and tear the league apart - but you just don’t know.

I think your point is a valid one.

I have not seen him play either, so just talking in general....but I think a tell tale sign with strikers is their movement and that being central to their success.....his goal scoring ratio is very impressive, but as you say the league he plays in can be benevolent...so its a risk.

but some fine players have emerged from celitic and gone on the shine, just as there have been failures......I think his movement is a clue, to him being a success in the Prem or not......static strikers usually fail.

I cannot comment, because, i haven't seen him play.

49 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Think we need a notification on a thread when there is something of note been written, like a link to a close person of player quote, a contract signed or a photo of the player with a Villa person doing a deal.  

Feels like the threads are just arguing whether we are interested in a player or not, whether they are interested or not and bizarrely about current players whether they would've gone elsewhere.  Maybe my memory is going but I dont remember threads being like this in previous years.....obviously people saying X player is too good for us or we should be after somebody better but the dimension and ferocity of the discussion of these topics has taken a new edge this close season not only with length of threads but also over reaction to each others posts.  You have to go 20 or 30 pages before anything of note/new is said.

Very good idea.

Édouard has the attributes to be a top player. He has a decent record in euro competition which shows me he has the potential to be a success in the premier League. He is young enough to improve and grow in to a dangerous striker for Villa if we sign him. If he signs for us I think he has the game to bag 14 League goals which for me is a decent return.

Dwight Yorke came from the beaches of Trinidad and Tobago didn't hold him back did it?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

I'd argue it looks more like a cheap shot after the bell had gone, and black cat promptly does a runner to escape punishment.

Is exactly what happened.  You can't trust Black cats, especially the ones with the white feet, they're the worst. 

24 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think your point is a valid one.

I have not seen him play either, so just talking in general....but I think a tell tale sign with strikers is their movement and that being central to their success.....his goal scoring ratio is very impressive, but as you say the league he plays in can be benevolent...so its a risk.

but some fine players have emerged from celitic and gone on the shine, just as there have been failures......I think his movement is a clue, to him being a success in the Prem or not......static strikers usually fail.

I cannot comment, because, i haven't seen him play.

In the clips I’ve seen his movement does look pretty good, he finds space and provides the finish on plenty of occasions. He’s also got great footwork and isn’t afraid to go at the centre backs. I’m no professional scout but he looks like he has all the attributes to step up and improve in the premier league. 

Edited by It's Your Round
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

While a fair point I would have more faith in Edouard than Vennegoor of Hesselink or Boyd who were in the late 20s before they were bagging goals in Scotland. I would say Edouard and Morelos just like Dembele have more potential than them 2 ever did

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Zatman said:

While a fair point I would have more faith in Edouard than Vennegoor of Hesselink or Boyd who were in the late 20s before they were bagging goals in Scotland. I would say Edouard and Morelos just like Dembele have more potential than them 2 ever did

I literally forgot about this guy and how much his name sounds like something out of the Witcher.

1 hour ago, Adam2003 said:

This just isn't the case though is it? Otherwise championship players would be actively seeking moves to the Scottish league so they can score 20+ goals every season and be sold to the premier league for £30mill+... Arsenal have been monitoring him for a while and Leicester seem interested also, even though Celtic want £40mill. They may as well get Scott Hogan as we'd give him away for free.

Â