Saïd Benrahma

MaVilla

13 minutes ago, MachoFantastico said:

On his way to Palace apparently. Still excited to see how he does in the Premier League. Got talent no doubt about it. Not to surprised we looked elsewhere though, possibly Brentford asking for more than the club is willing to pay?

Id guess its got more to do with our need for different attributes.  Id say if Grealish had of left he would be here now!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Made In Aston said:

He is suited to a team which plays possession based football. Judging by the signings we are linked with, it appears DS is shifting towards counter attack, so benrahma isn't going to be the best option. That said, I have no doubt he will be a success in the PL and double in value in no time. 

Might be good enough, but he won't have such an easy time dwelling on the ball as he does in the championship. Ultimately a lot of teams already have these types of players, so they will often sign players of different attributes to balance it all out. We for instance already got Grealish for that, so it's more important we get in work rate, pace and directness. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Been available all summer.

17 goals and 9 assist last season.

Has worked under Smith before.

This is as tragic and depressing as missing out on Maupay.

But getting the player (Watkins) more highly rated than both by Brentford fans and their old manager is no positive hey?

• Like 1

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

But getting the player (Watkins) more highly rated than both by Brentford fans and their old manager is no positive hey?

Why not both?

If we had signed Maupay instead of Wesley and Benrahma instead of Traore we would be in a much better position now.

It seems that either we didn't want him, or he didn't want us.

If Brentford only wanted £20m for him, price wouldn't have been a barrier to a deal.

He seems destined to join the list of players that we were often linked with, but never signed. Pity :(.   

• Like 1

Two seasons running we haven't met his valuation. I have no doubt it's because Smith would not sanction it.

I imagine he gave blessing to drop £28m on Watkins but not Benrahama.

Maybe he is just too hot and cold to do it in the PL and is lacking that all round game that Watkins has along with the physical attributes.

I'm not too despondent. We have finally now shown we are willing to drop money if we feel a player is worth it. We don't feel he's worth it. I am maybe inclined to agree. Clubs aren't beating down Brentford 's door it seems.

Might be time to file Benrahama next to Ryan Woods in the Villatalk overated wank bank.

Edited by rodders0223

6 minutes ago, John said:

It seems that either we didn't want him, or he didn't want us.

If Brentford only wanted £20m for him, price wouldn't have been a barrier to a deal.

He seems destined to join the list of players that we were often linked with, but never signed. Pity :(.   

Were we even interested this summer?  It doesnt look like it.......some fans wont be happy but that's life, the club has other idea's.  Did we even ask about him this summer? we definitely dont seem to have bid for him and I'm trying to look at old articles over the coming months to see if there was any sign that we had asked about him.  So this just seems like some fans wanted him.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Why not both?

If we had signed Maupay instead of Wesley and Benrahma instead of Traore we would be in a much better position now.

What's this fascination with Maupay, he's not all that.  Great he scored in 1 in every 277 minutes in the league whereas Wes was 1 in 358 minutes but second half of the season he started to tail off and arguably was just starting to play.  I have much more confidence in the future of Wes than Maupay who I think is a little limited so I would rather Wes than Maupay.  I know you will argue but sometimes you have to take a step back and think you maybe wrong, you do have a habit of being wrong from Smith to Villa being cut off from relegation safety last season, so maybe you are wrong on this. 

Maybe I am wrong in believing that Wes maybe better than Maupay long term, yes Maupay had a slightly better season this season but I'd argue part of that was Wes settling and it would've been nice to see him second half of the season but that wasnt to be.  You though cant definitively say that Maupay was a better buy than Wes, and you would definitely get a lot of arguments on this website on that long term.

As for Benrahma vs Traore, i just dont know how you can say that with neither signed and Benrahma having never played at this level.  Traore record doesnt look great but there must be reasons for this buy so we will have to see.  It's alright to have an opinion but you say it like it is fact and definitive all the time and it isnt

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, nick76 said:

What's this fascination with Maupay, he's not all that.  Great he scored in 1 in every 277 minutes in the league whereas Wes was 1 in 358 minutes but second half of the season he started to tail off and arguably was just starting to play.  I have much more confidence in the future of Wes than Maupay who I think is a little limited so I would rather Wes than Maupay.  I know you will argue but sometimes you have to take a step back and think you maybe wrong, you do have a habit of being wrong from Smith to Villa being cut off from relegation safety last season, so maybe you are wrong on this. 

Maybe I am wrong in believing that Wes maybe better than Maupay long term, yes Maupay had a slightly better season this season but I'd argue part of that was Wes settling and it would've been nice to see him second half of the season but that wasnt to be.  You though cant definitively say that Maupay was a better buy than Wes, and you would definitely get a lot of arguments on this website on that long term.

As for Benrahma vs Traore, i just dont know how you can say that with neither signed and Benrahma having never played at this level.  Traore record doesnt look great but there must be reasons for this buy so we will have to see.  It's alright to have an opinion but you say it like it is fact and definitive all the time and it isnt

Maupay is a really good player.

Fox in the box. Very good movement in the box. Potter ask him to be involved more in the build up play which is not his game. Yet he still hit double figures last season.

On top of that he is aggressive and nasty to play against. This is something we really lack. You need characters like that, Jack has some of it. But i feel we are too nice to play against at times.

It's natural to dislike rival teams players and defend your own. I think if Maypay played for the Villa you would have a very different opinion of him seeing him week in week out.

Edited by villalad21

Â