Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

I love Watkins but I feel like "no service" is a bit of a cop out he gets sometimes. He was awful tonight, even if he doesn't have chances he usually offers something but tonight nothing came off for him (granted he came close with the header off the post). Cant fault the effort but zero quality, it happens and I'm sure he'll bounce back.

Just now, Indigo said:

I love Watkins but I feel like "no service" is a bit of a cop out he gets sometimes. He was awful tonight, even if he doesn't have chances he usually offers something but tonight nothing came off for him (granted he came close with the header off the post). Cant fault the effort but zero quality, it happens and I'm sure he'll bounce back.

I agree with everything but the first sentence.  

Honestly name a chance one of the other players created for him tonight?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I agree with everything but the first sentence.  

Honestly name a chance one of the other players created for him tonight?

That's my point though. He's not a player that always gets into scoring areas because he's one of the most selfless strikers going, and on the whole we judge him based on his overall game as a consequence. There's been games this season where I thought he's been brilliant despite not being able to think of a chance he's had in it, never mind scored, but this isn't one of them. 

He had a shocker today and not having service or not doesn't really change that. Still having a great season and I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him bounce straight back at the weekend.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, nick76 said:

He got no service from anybody, no through balls, no decent crosses, no nothing...I thought he look dejected as time went on. He was given nothing tonight.

He used like a workhorse by Smith.  If  he wasnt as good tonight its no wonder. 

• Like 2

For me we are overworking Watkins - he’s being asked to work too hard in areas that don’t hurt the opposition and consequently he’s not got the quick acceleration for the two or three killer runs that matter. I’m not saying that he shouldn’t make runs and defend from the front but I feel that the effort needs to be balanced

• Like 2

He needs to hit the weights a bit  .... so often he gets blatantly fouled and I think refs just look at him and think , nah a gust of wind blew him over ...The non-pen today being one of many examples 

he’s good but he can become even better 

• Confused 1

He was frustrating today, quite often he did the hard part of collecting a long ball under pressure but then gave it away with a lazy lay off. He had some nice link up play with AEG at times though.

38 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Must just be me, but I don't think he 'had a shocker' at all.

Well 'had a shocker' on VT means that he didn't play well, such is the way things are classified here. He didn't play well IMO but at worst it was like, what, a 5? That's not good, but 'a shocker' has to actually have some meaning. 

19 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Well 'had a shocker' on VT means that he didn't play well, such is the way things are classified here. He didn't play well IMO but at worst it was like, what, a 5? That's not good, but 'a shocker' has to actually have some meaning. 

I agree about the devaluation of the word 'shocker', but I would even say Watkins did, in fact, play pretty well. He made some good runs in the channels, made space that others didn't take advantage of, and should have had at least one assist (McGinn on circa 10 minutes), an outside possibility of another (Traore's header), and had one of his own come back off the post. In my opinion he was our 3rd best player, and the best player who wasn't a centre back, and I just don't have much of a problem with that performance.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

I agree about the devaluation of the word 'shocker', but I would even say Watkins did, in fact, play pretty well. He made some good runs in the channels, made space that others didn't take advantage of, and should have had at least one assist (McGinn on circa 10 minutes), an outside possibility of another (Traore's header), and had one of his own come back off the post. In my opinion he was our 3rd best player, and the best player who wasn't a centre back, and I just don't have much of a problem with that performance.

Fair enough - for me I think he played a lot better without the ball than with it. His touch was just off tonight - nothing really worked for him and while I can't knock him for the work rate, there wasn't a whole lot of quality there. Ordinarily for us that wouldn't be an issue, but we did pay a fuckload of money for him.

1 hour ago, VillaCas said:

For me we are overworking Watkins - he’s being asked to work too hard in areas that don’t hurt the opposition and consequently he’s not got the quick acceleration for the two or three killer runs that matter. I’m not saying that he shouldn’t make runs and defend from the front but I feel that the effort needs to be balanced

I think you are bang on the money.

He needs to be more confined to the box.....we are diluting his effectiveness.

• Like 1

I think there’s a real player there but he needs to find that final nasty streak, for me he should be stretching every sinew to get on the end of things or to get that killer shot away but somehow he just lacks that.

There was a situation today when a ball came over and he should absolutely have owned it and seen nothing but the goal.. instead he saw Traore and politely waved him on to take the shot instead. 
of course a lame weak effort was the result. Re-run that moment with Harry Kane instead of Watkins and for me it would have been a chance which he seized and would likely have been in the bottom corner of the net. 

That sums up what he’s lacking at the moment for me.

• Like 1

I too did not think he had a poor game at all.

He was just Watkins.

He has some incredible touches

He has some shocking touches

He works incredibly hard

He might go for long times without getting a clear cut chance, then he might score a few in succession.

Thats Ollie in a nutshell.

Yes we lost to the bottom team in the league, who for a third of the game had 10 men.  But that doesn’t necessarily mean every one of our players was awful.

it was an awful result, it really was.  But they scored pretty much the only real chance they had, and on another day we could have had 3 or 4. McGinn poor finish, Traore mazy run, Watkins post, Konsa Volley

A log of comments in various threads ut how that was our worst performance.

it really really wasn’t.  Worst result? Yes. Worst performance - not even close.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Indigo said:

He does get service but its very poor.

Long balls at 100 mph with three defenders round him.

Then should he bring it down he then has to wait for eternity for any support.

Watkins is not a 'play alone upfront player', he scores goals on the front foot, being played in.  At brentford he had this.

We play too rigid with wingers and no one is near him to support.

He then gets forced out wide and often has a speculative shot from far  out...this is where Traore or El Ghazi should be...not on the wings all the time....he could be more central then.

The main problem is the way we play...to slow....either playing forward or crossing it in....yes he had a good header last night but thats rare.....Cross after cross...against 6ft defenders...aint going work.

Look at his goals...all played in quick...either behind the defence.....grealish arsenal.....or an early cross to slide in.

He is doing all the work the so called wingers should be doing.

If he played in a team with more support round him....Leicester...who have Barnes....Maddison....Vardy all working 'together' he would score way more. 

• Like 1

Â