Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

Well watkins did some Grealish duties on the left today I thought, he actually at times drew 3 leeds players. He's like a Wasp, doesn't stop buzzing around and it must be frustrating for teams to be put under that kind of strain. 

Surprised this thread is on page 2 and didn't get many posts last night. Has been excellent for me for weeks now, he's always been lively and has a goal in him, but last few weeks he seems to have got comfortable with the physicality of the PL and is holding the ball up really well. An absolute bargain, just love him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John said:

Couldn't believe what I heard from Fay Carruthers on Talksport before last night's game, "and Ollie Watkins has got to put it in the back of the net, because he has missed some sitters this season hasn't he?" :rolleyes: Link below from 19.55: 

https://talksport.com/radio/listen-again/1614445200/

I don’t really think he has missed sitters at all... If I have had one criticism I think there have been times I have said I think he needs to learn to delay his run a split second because of VAR which might have earned him another couple of goals, but he tends to put the ball in the back of the net pretty successfully. Odd call from her.

• Like 1

Hit the bar vs Burton in the cup

Other than that I'm genuinely struggling to remember what sitters he's missed 

Him hitting the bar vs Liverpool for example is that a sitter? Did well to get anything on it imo, his 1v1 vs Liverpool is that a sitter? 

I think "sitter" is overused now, people say it for any half a chance that comes a strikers way, keeper pulls off a worldie but the striker should have scored and it was a sitter? Not for me 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Him hitting the bar vs Liverpool for example is that a sitter? Did well to get anything on it imo, his 1v1 vs Liverpool is that a sitter? 

I think "sitter" is overused now, people say it for any half a chance that comes a strikers way, keeper pulls off a worldie but the striker should have scored and it was a sitter? Not for me 

Definitely agree that the term sitter is overused. if we assume any missed chance that has at least 0.5xG is a missed sitter, then according to understat the only missed "sitter" he's had in the league is the penalty miss. Hitting the bar at Liverpool is only counted as 0.39xG.

The next highest rated chance that he missed is the header at Palace that hit the bar.(0.48xG). Its at 52 seconds in the video below. You can judge yourself whether you'd consider that a sitter.

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Definitely agree that the term sitter is overused. if we assume any missed chance that has at least 0.5xG is a missed sitter, then according to understat the only missed "sitter" he's had in the league is the penalty miss. Hitting the bar at Liverpool is only counted as 0.39xG.

The next highest rated chance that he missed is the header at Palace that hit the bar.(0.48xG). Its at 52 seconds in the video below. You can judge yourself whether you'd consider that a sitter.

That's a good example, personally I don't 

Done everything right there, he's done the keeper so bad that he hasn't dived meaning that when it comes off the post he's positioned to catch it

He's made the run, he's hit it across goal away from the keeper with the right pace, it's unlucky 

Whether or not you think he should score from there is different, it doesn't make it a sitter, that for me is where someone's gifted him a goal and he's made a mess of it via poor technique or composure or execution, none of those are true with that chance 

21 hours ago, villa4europe said:

I don't know if they pass as sitter, but a few "should've scored" chances that come to mind are as you said hitting the bar against Liverpool, a chance against West Ham away and a couple 1vs1 against palace. 

There might be a few more, but overall not too many. 

I don't think he's missed many "sitters" or clear-cut chances, if anything I've seen strikers more prolific than him miss more of them this season such as Vardy (speaks to his quality the amount of chances/goals he still has regardless though). The only real criticism on that front I could have of Watkins is that he doesn't have a huge amount of those half-chance type of goals you see the more ruthless strikers add up over the course of a season. That's how forwards who are at that next level rack up 20+ on a consistent basis. At the rate he's improved at though it wouldn't surprise me if that gradually become more prominent in his game and we really saw him kick on even further.

Even if he doesn't it doesn't really matter though, it's not like he has a paltry total so far and you'd probably expect him to finish on around the 15 mark in the league, which combined with how much he's improved not only our general forward play but pressing out of possession as well would prove him to be a huge success. 

Edited by Indigo

15 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

He's just getting better and better. I'm backing him to get 20 goals next season. Great team player, great attitude. 

I'm backing him to get them this season.😉

• Like 2

I thought he was dreadful tonight. Looks drained and knackered. I really think he's needs a rest but unfortunately isn't going to get one. Poor having no real cover for him tbh. 

Edited by avfc1982am
  • Like 1

Just now, avfc1982am said:

I thought he was dreadful tonight. Looks drained and knackered. I really think he's needs a rest but unfortunately is going to get one. Poor having no real cover for him tbh. 

He got no service from anybody, no through balls, no decent crosses, no nothing...I thought he look dejected as time went on. He was given nothing tonight.

Â